NEWS

Character Expansion Pack 1 (What did i just buy?)

• 5 Replies

Rafkin

• Newb
« on: <09-13-14/1246:15> »
This was the description:

"Your imagination and ideas aren't limited, so the characters you can use in Shadowrun: Crossfire shouldn't be limited either. With Character Expansion Pack 1, you can branch out, creating whatever shadowrunner concept comes to mind......"

Now this bold text implied to me that this expansion pack included ways to build runners that were not already included in the base game. Am I totally reading that wrong? Because the ONLY thing in this $15 pack is more of the exact same thing that's in the base set. How does this purchase let my imagination flourish? How does it change any single thing about the base game?

Claims:
1) 20 new runner cards! Except they are the same races, same stats...nothing NEW about them other than they are un-used.

2) 4 new Basic cards!   Really? Again, sure, there are 4 un-used cards so I guess that makes them NEW but they are just copies of the basic cards I already have 5 copies of.

3) 100 upgrade stickers! At least they didn't advertise NEW upgrades this time. I assumed they were just extra stickers and I got what I expected. Truth in advertising! Finally!

I think it was very misleading. It should have clearly stated that the contents were just extra pieces for the base game.

graven2002

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-13-14/1428:00> »
Don't all the cards (runner sheets and basic attack cards) have different art than what is available in the base set?

My understanding was that this pack provides cosmetic character customization.

Rafkin

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-13-14/1507:32> »
Don't all the cards (runner sheets and basic attack cards) have different art than what is available in the base set?

My understanding was that this pack provides cosmetic character customization.

This is true. How a cosmetic change lets me "branch out" with my character creation is beyond me.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-13-14/1746:03> »
This is true. How a cosmetic change lets me "branch out" with my character creation is beyond me.

You now have three times as many characters to play with, assuming you picked up a single Expansion pack. You should be able to figure out how to try different things with those characters.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Jamelfr

• Chummer
  • Nerps for beer. Nerps for president.
« Reply #4 on: <09-15-14/2312:01> »
This was the description:

"Your imagination and ideas aren't limited, so the characters you can use in Shadowrun: Crossfire shouldn't be limited either. With Character Expansion Pack 1, you can branch out, creating whatever shadowrunner concept comes to mind......"

Now this bold text implied to me that this expansion pack included ways to build runners that were not already included in the base game. Am I totally reading that wrong? Because the ONLY thing in this $15 pack is more of the exact same thing that's in the base set. How does this purchase let my imagination flourish? How does it change any single thing about the base game?

Claims:
1) 20 new runner cards! Except they are the same races, same stats...nothing NEW about them other than they are un-used.

2) 4 new Basic cards!   Really? Again, sure, there are 4 un-used cards so I guess that makes them NEW but they are just copies of the basic cards I already have 5 copies of.

3) 100 upgrade stickers! At least they didn't advertise NEW upgrades this time. I assumed they were just extra stickers and I got what I expected. Truth in advertising! Finally!

I think it was very misleading. It should have clearly stated that the contents were just extra pieces for the base game.

Thank you for the description of the "expansion" (and sorry at the same time for your disapointment): I will not buy it for now. New art is always fun, but this is not what I wish at the moment. Hopefully, some new expansions will come out soon and add things to the gameplay.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <09-16-14/0038:57> »
I like the new art.  I do wish we'd gotten more of the basic cards though, simply so that we could shuffle them in with the default art and create some more variety.  I think the extra stickers alone are worth it, since many of the top-tier abilities have strong limitations on how many can be used at once.  Even the low-tier abilities only have 3 stickers in the starter pack.  If everyone at your table wants to use the same ability you're SOL.  And for a demoer like myself, having the extra stickers and character cards is great - I can now have a team of three females or males of the same race.  It makes a lot of sense for my situation though, and I can see how others might not get as much value from it.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.