NEWS

6E Matrix: Swapping attributes

• 5 Replies

Typhus

• Omae
« on: <11-13-19/1359:23> »
Also unclear on swapping of attributes.  The Matrix Attributes text and the example sidebar are not clear on what exactly you can do.

When you swap matrix attributes, can you swap *any* attributes between any others, or just between the same attributes on different linked devices? 

So, if my deck has 9/8 for A/S, and my jack has 4/3 for D/F, can I set my attack to 3 and my firewall to 9? 

Or can I only swap one firewall rating for another firewall rating from a different device? 

The sidebar doesn't describe where Slamm-O junior's ratings are originating, so it doesn't help conceive of what's occurring.  The singular sentence that addresses swapping matrix attributes is also non-specific.  The Matrix Action just refers you back to these two passages, so I don't think it's ever explained in detail. 

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <11-13-19/1421:32> »
The rule text for reference:
If you’re a decker, your Matrix attributes are determined by the device you’re using to access the Matrix. If the device doesn’t possess one or more of the Matrix attributes, then the applicable attribute is treated as if it were 0. You can rotate all attributes through your persona, even if they originated from different devices

I read it as it works the same as 5e, except also across devices.

(...and I would houserule that this is a special function only cyberjacks can do with a cyberdeck.)

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-13-19/1427:33> »
That's because they I wrote it is not what got printed.

Original intent is that could only swap on the device itself and not across devices. RAW is that you can swap any attribute ... so yes you can swap your decks attack with your jacks firewall as you suggested.

Errata may alter that some
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-13-19/1431:36> »
What's the underlying idea to that notion in general?  I'm assuming you're reallocating onboard processing resources to serve certain functions better than others? 

Seems like that wouldn't make sense for swapping the Attack to Firewall, especially across devices.  I think I prefer your original ruling better, if I was to play this.  It at least is reasonable to have a 1-2 point shift available.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-13-19/1438:44> »
Yes. The original intent was to model a simple resource management of a particular device allowing you to get that 2 point swing here and there, while also forcing you to invest in specific gear packages if you want a full suite of attributes at a decent level.

I had nothing to do with how it ended up
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-13-19/1447:37> »
Nor would I assume you did.  Thanks for the Q&A.  I certainly like your idea better.