NEWS

[SR4a] Archetypes: replacements for the Sample Characters

• 411 Replies

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #180 on: <03-08-12/1213:27> »
Dude, you get a 1+ for this awesome thread.  Also, I chuckled at the Zoolander joke, so thank you for that as well. 
« Last Edit: <04-27-12/1501:19> by Dracain »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #181 on: <03-08-12/1707:20> »
Glad you liked them. There's a few more jokes/references here and there as well :P

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #182 on: <03-08-12/1838:49> »
So, I have to ask... why is this not pinned/stickied?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #183 on: <03-09-12/0010:19> »
1 request:

Please add the individual character/archetype links in a separate column in the summary worksheet.  It means there's one link for your great work, and it has all the links for the details embedded inside...

Thank you! :)

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #184 on: <04-05-12/2032:02> »
I'm not usually one for thread nercromancy, but this thread is important, so I am giving it a little bump. 

tezzet

• Newb
« Reply #185 on: <04-10-12/2011:05> »
I may be misinterpreting the rules on sustaining foci. My book says that "A spell sustained by a sustaining focus cannot have a Force greater than that of the focus." Wouldn't this mean that you need, for example, a force 7 focus to sustain an Increase [Attribute] that increases its attribute to 7? These characters seem to be built under the interpretation that a focus sustains its force in hits.

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #186 on: <04-10-12/2020:51> »
that was my understanding of the rules as well which is why i generally use a sustaining focus for the magic wired reflexes
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

zarzak

• Chummer
« Reply #187 on: <04-10-12/2053:53> »
I may be misinterpreting the rules on sustaining foci. My book says that "A spell sustained by a sustaining focus cannot have a Force greater than that of the focus." Wouldn't this mean that you need, for example, a force 7 focus to sustain an Increase [Attribute] that increases its attribute to 7? These characters seem to be built under the interpretation that a focus sustains its force in hits.

That was also my interpretation.

Sustaining Focus will only sustain spells whose force is less than or equal to the focus.  The increase attribute spell says "the force of the spell must equal or exceed the (augmented) value of the attributed being affected".

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #188 on: <04-10-12/2108:36> »
You check whether the target is valid before applying the Increase Attribute spell. What it means is that you need to include any other augmentations first, eg, Strength 1 + Muscle Augmentation 2 is 1(3), so you need at least force 3. It's a bit confusing the way it's phrased: the (augmented) sometimes throws people off. Note the steps: first, the Force must equal or exceed the (augmented) value, and then you add hits.

zarzak

• Chummer
« Reply #189 on: <04-10-12/2131:43> »
You check whether the target is valid before applying the Increase Attribute spell. What it means is that you need to include any other augmentations first, eg, Strength 1 + Muscle Augmentation 2 is 1(3), so you need at least force 3. It's a bit confusing the way it's phrased: the (augmented) sometimes throws people off. Note the steps: first, the Force must equal or exceed the (augmented) value, and then you add hits.

I didn't look through the sample characters to see what his issue was, but I assume that he had an issue with some attribute being increased much higher.  Say you have agility 5 and want to use the increase attribute ... then its a force 5 spell, at least (and of course it gets more expensive if you have any other sort of augmentation). 

That requires a pretty expensive sustaining focus to make work.  Of course, if its just increasing something as low as a 1(3) stat then its not an issue.

tezzet

• Newb
« Reply #190 on: <04-10-12/2143:57> »
Turns out that I actually just misinterpreted the sheet. The Transhuman Mystic uses force 3 sustaining foci to increase his Intuition & Reaction, which are both naturally at 3. So the spell is only force 3.

groduick

• Newb
« Reply #191 on: <04-16-12/1729:00> »
I thought you couldn't sustain several spells on the same focus?

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #192 on: <04-16-12/1750:45> »
You can't. That character has more than one sustaining focus.

groduick

• Newb
« Reply #193 on: <04-17-12/0525:01> »
You can't. That character has more than one sustaining focus.

My bad, my cybereyes need realignement...

Yogi

• Omae
« Reply #194 on: <04-17-12/2356:02> »
Question about the combat hackers common dice pools.

Hardware: 9
Computer: 4+Program Rating*
Electronic Warfare: 4+Program Rating*
Hacking: 9+Program Rating (11+Program Rating with Hacking on the Fly, +1 with Exploit)*

I'm trying to figure these out.

THe hardware skill is 4 + 2(logic) + 2 Encephalon....maybe.
Compute rand EW skills are 1 -  Not sure how they are 4
Hacking skill is 6 - Where did the other 3 come from. 

It looks the Encephalon add to all active Cracking and Electronics skills but the +2 bonus doesn't seem to fit/

It seems like I'm missing something. 

Reason I'm asking is I'm making a combat hacker and I'm getting a crash course in the hacking/matrix rules
Thoughts
Speaking
Comlink