SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #181 on: <10-23-10/2344:55> »
I had no idea this existed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_%28role-playing_game%29

Me want. *Drool*
yeah, I almost got a copy to have Margret Weiss sign it... but Chaotic brought some Dragonlance novels instead.

My favorite memory was letting her talk to Margret on my cell at the 08 ??? GenCon.

Madame Weiss is a gracious and delightful lady. I had the opportunity to have lunch with her at DragonCon a couple of years ago. It was the highlight of my convention experience.

Actually, it's quite fun being able to curse in Chinese. Especially when you can say it with a polite smile to your boss' face. ;)

I do cringe a little when hearing westerners cursing in Chinese, but that's mostly because I happen to BE Chinese and some of the pronunciations are awful.

But I can rarely hold a grudge about it, as it's usually Browncoats and they are okay in my book.

-k
« Last Edit: <10-23-10/2348:29> by KarmaInferno »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #182 on: <10-24-10/0232:47> »
My own copy of the RPG was a surprise gift from my wife at GenCon a few years ago, signed by a couple of the developers and Margaret Weiss.  I got a "shoot straight" and a "keep flying" for the notes with the signatures, which I thought was extra cool.   ;D

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #183 on: <10-24-10/0752:41> »
[quote/]   ...was it Michael York as Manimal, or a look-alike?  I mostly remember the stock footage of the transformations to hawk and panther.  Even as a young'un, I thought that was repetitive and lame and repetitive.  And there was something about Airwolf I really liked...[/quote]He was a lookalike
[/quote]

I believe it was Simon Macorkindale (? sp) in Manimal . . . it's been 20+ years, so cut me some slack . . .

I haven't seen a Joss Whedon creation I less than liked yet - the man is a storyteller. 

Now if George Lucas would let him, or Chris Claremont, play in the Star Wars sandbox, THAT would be awesome . . .

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #184 on: <10-24-10/1246:41> »
Alas, RIP Simon MacCorkindale. Just passed away on the 14th.

Listen, I'm a huge Whedon fan, but I have my worries about the Avengers movie. Remember, just because someone is really good at some stuff doesn't mean they are good at everything. In the case of Chris Claremont, take a look at the Willow sequel trilogy he co-wrote with Lucas. Within the first few pages of the first novel, they killed off Mad Martigan, Sorsha, Willow's entire village and twelve other areas in the world (Synopsis).

It's one of the reasons I stopped buying comic books years ago. Yes, they are getting terrific writers to come in and write the books. But the first think most of the writers do when they come into a new book is to toss out everything the previous writer done. And it's not always for the better.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #185 on: <10-25-10/0722:28> »
Whedon's specialty is ensemble cast shows and movies.  The Avengers movie will be about an ensemble of super heroes.

I think its got a pretty good shot at being really good.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #186 on: <10-25-10/0834:44> »
Whedon's specialty is ensemble cast shows and movies.  The Avengers movie will be about an ensemble of super heroes.

I think its got a pretty good shot at being really good.
The worry is that Whedon is a great dialogue writer/director that features strong females in key roles and the action is just "something that happens a lot" to the characters. I'm just not sure if that jives with the Avengers as we known it and hope it becomes.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #187 on: <10-25-10/0836:10> »
A round of applaus for knowing Chris Claremont! I will agree with Gun Nut, Whedon may or may not know Comic heros but he write a mean team. I didn't watch his other shows but allot of the positive I read about him is about how he right character interaction. I don't think he'll do bad with the Avengers, I have been known to be wrong so I will wait and see.

The worry is that Whedon is a great dialogue writer/director that features strong females in key roles and the action is just "something that happens a lot" to the characters. I'm just not sure if that jives with the Avengers as we known it and hope it becomes.
I wouldn't call Mal a female lead?!? But yeah I get your point.
« Last Edit: <10-25-10/0846:53> by Usda Beph »
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #188 on: <10-25-10/1054:30> »
To be fair, he didn't say "female lead", he said "strong females in key roles".

Which is true of all Whedon's work.

-k

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #189 on: <10-25-10/1130:54> »
Thanks Karma. Yeah, I realize Mal & Angel aren't ladies (although Angel's whining at times... I kid! I kid!), but they both had a lot of strong women near them. And that's what kinda worries me about The Avengers. They've gone on record that the only female member of the team will be Black Widow (no Wanda or Wasp, or at least not as a main character), so it's definitely a boy's club right now.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #190 on: <10-25-10/1155:49> »
What and Janet van Dyne was some kinda shrinking violet.... ::)

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #191 on: <10-25-10/1545:41> »
Literally.

Except I didn't know Violets shot energy blasts at their foes.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #192 on: <10-26-10/0737:29> »
Literally.

Except I didn't know Violets shot energy blasts at their foes.
But it's in the comics man! If they don't fire lasers (Pew pew pew) they lift houses for throwing weapons! ;D

Juxtamon

• Newb
« Reply #193 on: <10-26-10/1650:43> »
Hmm.  I am now sad about Simon MacCorkindale.  Thanks for the heads-up, FJ.

Re: Whedon/Avengers, though, I am a little concerned.  I mean, I did enjoy the Astonishing X-Men for the two years he wrote for 'em.  Character-developmentwise, it was the Kitty Show, with everyone else around being snarky and tense with each other and well-portrayed, if somewhat conservatively regarding their personalities.  Still thought it was good.

I worry that he's gonna write his own story in the Avengers universe, and find a way to kill off the nicest person in the movie in an unapologetic, and nasty fashion.  "S*$# Happens, Especially To Nice People" seems to be the motto he writes by, in my view.

I worry that he's going to come up with a 'new' important character for the movieverse, when I would prefer a retell and reframe of solidly extant history...you know, in comic-fantasy-land, but still.  I'd like a 'take' on it, without an extra limb grafted on just because somebody likes the way chicken legs look.

If I base it purely on what I've seen of the X-Men stuff, I will give my opinion that a similar treatment would be acceptable.  Especially if there's a little bit of first-run Ultimates hardcase-Cap in there.  Just a bit.
"Was it in Tahiti?  Were we on the Nile?"

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #194 on: <10-27-10/0619:22> »
Actually the X-Men movie character line-up was something I found disappointing.  I know Wolvie is a BIG selling point, but I really would have preferred the original team: Cyclops, Iceman, Marvel Girl, Beast and Angel.

same with the Avengers.  I think I'd prefer seeing Wasp in the team over Black Widow, with Iron Man, Thor, Giant-Man and the Hulk, a la the comic debut. Captain America should be a separate movie - i think the WWII connection should be kept too.

but the studio/director will cast whoever they think will help make the movie successful . . .