NEWS

[SR5] Chrome Flesh - Price of Wireless Skillsoft Networks

• 29 Replies

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <07-05-15/0007:11> »
Especially with the paper thin armor drones are wearing these days, drek you can put an ares duelist in an armored jacket and have better survivability

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <07-05-15/0214:48> »
Huh. Localdevelopment I suppose. The general vibe for decades has been that everyone chips in to keep the van running... yeah, it's the Rigger's van, but it saves *everyone's* bacon. Helps balance out the fact that the Rigger's burning through cash like nobody else.

Interesting!

Especially with the paper thin armor drones are wearing these days, drek you can put an ares duelist in an armored jacket and have better survivability

Riggers that are trying to be remote gunbunnys do... a Rigger doing his job of recon & support shouldn't be burning through drones. At least not the expensive ones. That should be a last resort when everything "has gone to sh*t" option to cover a fighting withdrawal. If you are doing that often, I'd highly recommend more legwork & planning so your runs aren't constant clusterf*cks. Drone need to weak since they are a staple NPC that you have to fight, but using them as your own personal robot army and you'll run into the issues that the Corps do when using them to protect the sites we run against.

The Rigger's Van is something that he pays for out of his Chargen Resources and sure isn't something that the Team is investing 20k a month in to keep operational. Wars are expensive... if you want to fight them, feel free but I'd try to get a government to pay me to fight them. Governments love fighting wars, gives them an excuse to steal (I mean tax) from their people. 5th edition doesn't have any good big campaign wars to fight. But I'm sure your GM could fabricate a minor border skirmish for your team to participate in. Then as long as you are wrecking more of the enemies equipment than allowing your own to be wrecked... you're winning, which means you get new stuff to go fight more.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-05-15/1104:23> »
Glad to see you keeping such an open mind, Zhoul. There is more than one way to play the game, you know; perhaps you should consider that your way isn't the only one.

Also, Wakshaani; do you know if there are any plans to bring back spoofing lifestyles and/or introduce spoofing software library access? Because that would make a decker or technomancer the skilljack/skillwire PC's new best friend :)

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <07-05-15/1118:16> »
Glad to see you keeping such an open mind, Zhoul. There is more than one way to play the game, you know; perhaps you should consider that your way isn't the only one.

Also, Wakshaani; do you know if there are any plans to bring back spoofing lifestyles and/or introduce spoofing software library access? Because that would make a decker or technomancer the skilljack/skillwire PC's new best friend :)

There's effective ways... then there is a Rigger trying to use Drones as a robot army. One of those ways will result in karma & Nuyen which translates into Power and then there is the way that breaks all your toys & ruins your character advancement. Using a variety of playstyle that anyone is free to do for themselves because their Concept is more important than their Advancement shouldn't be used as a comparison for how something else is "Balanced." You breaking all you toys & being a giant drag on your team is between you and your team... it's not something that should be part of the mechanics of the game.

Where did I say there was only one way to play? I even offered a suggestion for if they wanted that style of play a suitable setting for it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-05-15/1141:25> »

That, I couldn't say.

I do wonder if anyone's looked at the other software library systems yet. (I have to address the map rating issue in  the errata, I already know) I'm curious if anyone thnks that they'll be useful, if it's nice color, or why certain networks are named what they are. (Hint: The Getting Network isn't about getting somewhere or getting something!)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-05-15/1249:34> »
Huh. Localdevelopment I suppose. The general vibe for decades has been that everyone chips in to keep the van running... yeah, it's the Rigger's van, but it saves *everyone's* bacon. Helps balance out the fact that the Rigger's burning through cash like nobody else.

Interesting!

Sorry, waaay off topic but, I've played Shadowrun in three different cities with very different people.  Not once has anyone ever suggested giving the rigger a cut from everyone, or has any rigger ever asked.  Team Vehicle, certainly.  Ironically the times we've had a team vehicle, there was no rigger PC. 

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <07-05-15/1256:43> »

Interesting!

Sorry, waaay off topic but, I've played Shadowrun in three different cities with very different people.  Not once has anyone ever suggested giving the rigger a cut from everyone, or has any rigger ever asked.  Team Vehicle, certainly.  Ironically the times we've had a team vehicle, there was no rigger PC.

Glad I'm not alone... thought I was just an ass (which of course I am) & all the people I've gamed with were selfish ungrateful slitchs.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #22 on: <07-05-15/1302:12> »
As long as the skill is non-opposed you won't have an issue, attribute should easily handle getting you to the 6+ dice needed on average to get two+ success on any  non-opposed roll.

All the more reason to make sure you take Attribute A.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <07-05-15/1305:34> »
As long as the skill is non-opposed you won't have an issue, attribute should easily handle getting you to the 6+ dice needed on average to get two+ success on any  non-opposed roll.

All the more reason to make sure you take Attribute A.

But they I can't buy shiny toys, i need more....  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

adzling

« Reply #24 on: <07-05-15/1809:23> »
How about a technomancer with skillwires enhanced with a machine sprite and running a skillsoft network subscription?

That would certainly pump up the jam for the skills running on the skillwires right?

Rating 4, with a rating 6 machine sprite running diagnostics on those wires the technomancer would have a level 8 skill + attribute on average.

With the network subscription thats any skill, any time of day, wherever you are in the world.

All of sudden the Technomancer is now a JoaT for the team.....

Plus it gives the techno something to spend their money on...har.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: <07-05-15/1810:56> by adzling »

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <07-05-15/1833:31> »
I think it's a great idea, personally. You'll take a resonance hit, but it could be worth it. Of course, if the new technomancer book introduces a skillwire echo or complex form, then it'd be even better. I think it'd be pretty thematic myself.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-05-15/1857:51> »
100kish is rough to shake loose on a technomancer, but should work if you can free up the nuyen.  I just always circle back to, If you're a technomancer with Nuyen and willing to go to 5 Essence, why wouldn't you pick up the Cerebral boosters, Smartgun link and whatnot?  But I have basic tastes.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <07-05-15/1919:01> »
How about a technomancer with skillwires enhanced with a machine sprite and running a skillsoft network subscription?

That would certainly pump up the jam for the skills running on the skillwires right?

Rating 4, with a rating 6 machine sprite running diagnostics on those wires the technomancer would have a level 8 skill + attribute on average.

With the network subscription thats any skill, any time of day, wherever you are in the world.

All of sudden the Technomancer is now a JoaT for the team.....

Plus it gives the techno something to spend their money on...har.

Thoughts?

Since technos suck so bad already... it's kinda hard to make them worse & this could possibly make them better, though that's not saying much. Be kinda funny for a techno to be the Skill Monkey & maybe he could actually be useful instead of extremely underwhelming.

adzling

« Reply #28 on: <07-05-15/2313:42> »
here you go:
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=21310.msg383075#msg383075

not a great technomancer but he can do anything competently (dice pools of 10-14 for any skill).

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <07-05-15/2328:53> »

Interesting!

In the groups I've been in, the one providing the ride gets some nuyen from the others if the vehicle gets damaged, or there are other run related vehicle costs. After all, we're all using it, so it's not really fair to make one character pay for everyone else's ride; otherwise you have one character paying large amounts of cash, while everyone else gets a nice nuyen bonus by not having to worry about it. Depends on the group, I guess.
« Last Edit: <07-06-15/0854:44> by Dinendae »