NEWS

[5E IC] The Further Adventures of James and Illeana

• 201 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #165 on: <11-09-16/1611:27> »
At the mention of the Benandanti XXV, James' ears prick up.  Since his discussion about the Great Dragon Schwartzkopf with Illeana back in New Orleans, James has compiled quite the dossier on this particular magical organization.  In fact, he'd even checked his searches across grids to weed out the detritus that so often passes for fact when one is sifting through conspiracy theory scream sheets, and shadowrunner data havens.  In the end, after eighteen hours or so of dedicated research and vetting, James was left with a workable, if not exhaustive, working understanding of the organization.

"So that was Schwartzkopf tooling around on the streets of Detroit then," James says, more observation than question.

"Hmm?" the man responds.

"And you're being quite literal when you say that we're traveling to the dragon's den?"  James begins to chuckle.

"Are you alright?" the hacker asks.

"Quite," James says, draining the remainder of his beer.

"Zwei minuten," he hears from near the front of the container.  In a few minutes, they're airborne, buckled in tight in the back of the Rover, and James continues his line of thought.

"I was laughing because we were on our way to meet your patron."

"Were you?"

"After a fashion, yes.  That was before I was re-acquired by my previous employers.  They didn't seem keen on simply offering me a good recommendation."

"And I don't see why they would,"
he hacker says.

James dismisses the notion with an idle wave of a cybernetic hand.  "I've come to value my independence.  And work I can believe in."

The super soldier lets the sentiment sink in for a moment before the hacker suggests that they move to more comfortable seating in the Dakota.  James takes his position at Illeana's torso before saying, "Is the entirety of the plane warded?  Ares no doubt has spirits out searching for me, and Prague is till some hours away."

Once they're settled in for the long flight, but before Illeana awakes, James passes the time by trying to get a better idea of how much of his understanding is correct.

"So Schwartzkopf is with us in spirit, as it were, and I've seen at least four of you, which means what twenty percent of your organization has been tapped for this particular operation.  I must say I'm flattered.  And thankful.  How did you know to assemble today?"

"I'm out of my depth here, but in my reading I've come across some pretty bold claims made by the Aleph Society and mundanes, as well as some pretty unsavory methods for achieving that.  Do you think they really use blood magic?  I figure you'd know better than most, neh?"
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #166 on: <11-10-16/0055:36> »
"You will find our magical defenses more than adequate," the hacker answers in response to James' concern about the warding of the plane. "If you will excuse the self-praise, I would go so far as to call us 'above average'." James thinks he detects a certain whiff of British wit laced through the man's accent.

Upstairs, there is a more traditional seating area behind the cockpit, albeit small. There are only a handful of seats but the flight is not crowded. The seats are not luxurious but they do recline. James props Illeana up in the seat next to him, her head resting on his shoulder.  The Benandanti busy themselves with other matters, although the hacker takes time to converse with James.

"Yes, the Aleph Society is known to use blood magic. But before we rush to judgement, we should remember that blood magic is simply a tool, not inherently evil in and of itself. The Native American Nations of this continent were formed on the power of the Great Ghost Dance, which is blood magic as certainly as anything in Tenochtitlan. The difference, of course, is the distinction between blood willing given and blood unwillingly taken. The Aleph Society dabbles in both.

"You may call me... Edsger," he says when James finally presses him on the matter. "Yes, our patron was with us in spirit. As for how we knew to assemble today, you must appreciate that a great dragon who prizes knowledge above all else knows many things, both large and small. But I daresay you would prefer specifics. We were able to locate you with ritual sorcery; Miss Anghelescu, you see, is not unknown to us. We have been seeking her for seven months now, but she is more difficult to track than most. Her dual-nature allows her to immediately detect the building energies of ritual magic, and to dispel them out of caution. So, we had to ritually cast as she slept to avoid alarming her, but her habit of sleeping in warded locations shielded her from our view until recently."

James thinks about Stevens and Illeana's magical lodge, including the kitchen drawer full of skulls from small paracritters. He wonders where the RV is now with all their stuff.

"It was not until your time at Ares that she was outside of a ward for a sufficient period of time for us to track her. Once we did, we simply waited for our opportunity."

"And how long were you willing to wait?"
James asks, curious how long Schwartzkopf was willing to tie up a significant percentage of his magical group.

Illeana suddenly starts to stir. Edsger smiles and stands. "I will give you an opportunity to catch up," he says. "We will have more time to talk soon. Please tell her hello for me."

Illeana finally cracks an eye open. She immediately registers the change of surroundings but is too groggy to overreact. "Where are we?" she asks with a deep, guttural croak that sounds like a frog is stuck in her throat. "Did we get caught? Where are they taking us?"

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #167 on: <11-11-16/1302:08> »
"Where are they taking us," Illeana asks.

"To see Schwartzkopf," James answers deadpan. 

Illeana rubs her head trying to shake away the fog, and looks around the cabin, as if it may hold any clues, or generally to see if James is simply fragging with her.

"Are you fragging with me?" she asks.

James explains how the Bendandanti XXV have been tracking her since they fell under Ares' "protection," how an astrally projecting Schwartzkopf cut through a spirit of water the size of Stevens like he was going for noodles, how a Benandanti mage took her, and James inclusion in this little trip to Prague was an afterthought. 

"Or was it?" Illeana questions.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm a prize, but an extra one.  Ares is most interested in you, James.  Had they left you, Ares might have just chalked up the loss.  With both of us they're increasing their exposure,"
she gestures around the Dakota.

"Well," James says, contemplating her assessment, "that pretty much brings us up to date.  Oh yeah, the hacker, Edsger, said to tell you hello.  That name mean anything to you?"
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #168 on: <11-11-16/1953:04> »
Illeana tries to shake off the effects of getting clobbered on the astral. She grumbles about her missing sword, which - as best James can tell - makes her a terror in astral combat.

"So," she says, "this goes back to what I was speculating about in New Orleans. Whether I really studied with Schwartzkopf or whether it was just a component of my fake SIN. Either this is a tremendous coincidence, or it makes perfect sense."

James mentions that Edsger says hello.

"That probably settles it," she says. "Sounds like they know me and that I should know them. But for the life of me, I don't recall a single thing. It's just gone, like everything that happened... before."

James knows what she's talking about. The obelisk wiped him clean, left him with faded dreamlike sequences instead of memories.

Illeana slumps back down, looking like she's about to fall back asleep.

"How do you tell a Great Dragon that you don't remember him?" she wonders. "It doesn't seem like the kind of news that would go over well with a Great. Maybe I should break the news in advance to this Edsger fellow."

By the time Edsger finally reappears, Illeana has fallen back asleep. James eventually does too.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #169 on: <11-16-16/1202:19> »
"Maybe I should break the news in advance to this Edsger fellow." Ileana says.

"Yeah," James agrees.  "I think I'd rather do it here at 10,000 meters than later at some welcome home party that Schwartzkopf's gonna throw you." 

My you're being optimistic.  Just as likely he wants justifications for blowing him off previous to blowing you both off.

When Edsger returns, Illeana has fallen back asleep, and James is nearly there himself.  He sits up a bit straighter and rubs his face.

"Don't mind me," Edsger says, "Please make yourself comfortable.  It is a long flight."

"While I appreciate that, I have some other questions if you have a moment.  I was wondering if the Benandanti have had any luck locating Illeana's spirit, her uh, astral self?"

Edsger looks at him in a confused and somewhat patronizing fashion, though he does his best to hide the latter it says every bit of "Poor normie doesn't know how to talk magic but bless his heart he tries." 

James is used to the look.

"Ares has mine," he goes on to say, as if that explains anything, "but we haven't had much luck tracking anything to do with Illeana's past self."

Finally, Edsger speaks, keeping his tone neutral.  "My good man, are those bugs making quick work of your head there?  What are you talking about?"

So, they don't know.  Here they've gone to all this trouble, and she's not the one they want.

"How is it you think that I know about the Benandanti?" James asks.

Edsger remains silent for a moment, weighing his options.  It would be better to say nothing, but by offering nothing, Edsger won't get his answers.  "I had presumed that Miss Anghelescu had --"

"No.  I researched you."

Well, you have done an admirable job with that, but what does that have to do with --"

"I researched you because we suspected that Illeana had studied with Schwartzkopf.  Suspected, but didn't know.  Didn't know because Illeana, the Miss Anghelescu that you've been tracking is not the Illeana Anghelescu who had done so.  As I'm not the same James."

"Oh, yes, I'm fairly certain you're not the same James.  Not as such."
Edsger replies before dismissing James and gently shaking Illeana awake.  "It may be wise for us to move to another area of the plane, Miss Anghelescu," he says.  "I'm terribly sorry for inconveniencing you now, but it seems that your companion is not in complete control of his faculties."

Illeana looks between him and James for a moment before saying to James, "So, you told him?"

James nods.

"Told me what, exactly?" Edsger asks, clearly annoyed and confused by this point.

"That Illeana doesn't remember you," James says.  "She doesn't remember you, she doesn't remember Schwartzkopf, she doesn't remember even meeting me.  That Illeana is now a free spirit, out there somewhere doing Hecate knows what, just as my free spirit is currently in the employ of Ares, doing Hecate knows what.  We are the husks."

"And how did this come to pass?"
Edsger asks.

"First thing's first," James says.  "You've mentioned twice now something about the 'bugs' in my brain.  What do you know about my condition?"
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #170 on: <11-17-16/0107:37> »
"Well, nothing," says Edsger, clearly flustered. "We're explorers, not technologists. The nanites seem to regulate your pre-frontal cortex and your adrenal system. For all I know, they could be voluntary." He waves his hand up and down at James, seeming to indicate that a head full of nanites is not terribly out-of-place on a cybersoldier such as James. "Perhaps you use them to self-regulate. They do not seem to affect you adversely."

James reasons that Edsger hasn't seen the CINNAMON TOAST recording. Edsger takes advantage of the pause to pivot back to his line of inquiry. "So what's this about spirits and astral selves?"

James looks to Illeana, guessing that she can better explain it in terms that Edsger will understand.

"Edsger," she begins, "why were you looking for us?"

"That mustn't be a mystery," Edsger responds with a huff. "Naturally we wish to discuss the artifact you acquired earlier this year. Schwartzkopf will be most interested in why you - of all people! - did not approach us to solicit an offer."

Better be careful here, Illeana thinks to herself. Need to convince him we don't remember him, but without aggravating him about the opportunity he missed.

"The obelisk was a relic from the Fourth World," Illeana explains. "An object capable of creating free spirits by permanently separating the astral self from the physical self."

"And you're suggesting that this happened to you?" Edsger asks incredulously. "Well then who am I speaking with? How did you survive?"

Illeana gives him a look that suggests he's asking the right questions.

"We do not know," she says. "We don't remember anything before waking up on February 1st. Everything before that is lost. James likely awoke because the nanites rebooted him. Why did I? I could not say. Perhaps I was able to deflect a portion of the magic, enough to survive. Or perhaps the artifact affects the Infected differently."

"You mean that perhaps you had the Essence of two, and the artifact simply divided you back to an average amount," he says sourly. Despite his tone, he does not seem bothered by Illeana's nature. If anything, he seems to be annoyed by the inconvenience of Illeana not remembering anything past seven months ago.

A long moment passes as Edsger comes to grips with the strange situation, yet another in what must be a long career of strange situations. Finally he throws a hand up in exasperation. "Schwatzkopf will be delighted. How he loves a good mystery." James isn't sure if he's being sarcastic or not.

Edsger stands. "I will radio ahead with your news. Please, get some rest." With that, he turns on his heel and departs, his white robe swishing out behind him.

"You think he would have taken the news better," James says to Illeana once he has gone. "Given his job as an 'explorer'."

"Perhaps there is more to it," she speculates. "He's hinted a couple times that he and I used to know one another. Perhaps he is put off that I have not been more friendly. Would it not be odd if Doc stared at us blankly and swore that he did not know us?"

James leans back in his seat and ponders the thought. A question he's been meaning to ask comes to him. "How did they know?" he asks. "Sure, they can magically trace you to Detroit, but then how did they know that we would make a break for it? Were they just going to spend the next few weeks or months or years of their lives circling the freeways of Detroit, hoping that we might run? Were they just going to have a plane prepped and ready to fly at all times?"

Illeana looks down. She squeezes James' hand, as if she's about to deliver unsettling news. "It's possible that they instigated it," she says.

James is confused. "What do you mean?" he asks, wondering if there's something she's not telling him. "We talked about it in the theater and just did it. Spur of the moment, practically. Wait, you're not suggesting that he somehow... hacked the nanites in my head, are you?"

"No! No..." Illeana says, shaking her head emphatically. "I mean that when you're around a great dragon, things just sort of... happen." She opens her hand suddenly, almost like an exclamation point. She sighs, knowing she's not explaining it well.

"A great dragon's magic is so far beyond our own that they are capable of things which we can barely contemplate. Call it a 'twist of fate', if you will. A great dragon can simply set their mind to something and, by sheer force of will... encourage it to happen."

"You're saying that Schwartzkopf puppeteered us?" James asks. "Controlled our minds?"

Illeana gives a helpless shrug, as if to convey the difficulty of describing things. "Nothing so overt. More like a nudge. Imagine changing your aim a fraction of a degree. For a target right in front of you, you'll still hit it squarely. For a target a short distance away, you will wing it instead of hitting it center mass. But for a target a great distance away, you will miss it completely. Such are the machinations of great dragons, wherein by small changes they either deflect you away entirely or draw you into their orbit, all without your knowledge."

She squeezes his hand again, as if to assure him that she is still there with him, and that she doesn't enjoy the notion anymore than he does. She props her head on his shoulder and listens patiently to any questions he might have.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #171 on: <11-18-16/0110:10> »
12:01 PM Saturday, September 14, 2075 - Czech Republic

The flight lands at Letiště Václava Havla Praha midday on Saturday, although to James and Illeana it feels like 5am. They stand and stretch, bleary-eyed, wondering when they'll get a chance to shower and wash the grime of travel and combat off them.

"Come," Edsger says, leading you off the plane.

"Can I switch my commlink back on?" James asks, thinking some music or an AR feed might help him wake up a bit from the less-than-restful sleep on the plane.

"Better not," Edsger says but doesn't offer any explanation. James wonders if there's a valid reason or if Edsger is trying to make sure that James and Illeana - who are evidently strangers to him instead of friends - won't rabbit on him.

Exiting the plane, James and Illeana find themselves in a hangar on the fringes of the airport, far away from the busy passenger terminals. A black SK-Bentley Concordat waits for them, its door open. The driver from the Rover slips behind the wheel while Edsger joins him up front. James and Illeana take the spacious seats in the rear, which have enough leg room to qualify as a town car.

"We'll be there in half an hour," Edsger announces.

"Where's that?" Illeana asks, which seems to pique Edsger.

"Universitas Carolina Pragensis," he answers stiffly. (Illeana whispers to James that this is the Latin name for Charles University in Prague.)

"This is Schwartzkopf's domain," Illeana tells James as the car leaves the airport and heads east toward the city. James can feel her slipping into professor mode. He wonders if this is where she learned how to do it. "Schwartzkopf ’s intervened and pacified it after it split off from the Allied German States. Non-metahuman species and free spirits are allowed to apply for citizenship. Prague is a cultural melting pot where individuals from across the globe come together. Natives refer to it as the Golden City and are proud of the atmosphere of acceptance."

James looks out the window and studies the city shining under the September sun. From the weather to the skyline, the contrast with Detroit could not be more stark. By and large, the city resembles its 16th-century counterpart. There are no skyrakers and whatever corporate presence that exists is highly understated. The skyline is full of castle turrets and architecture from just about every era that James has ever studied: Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neo-Classical, and Art Nouveau. He hopes there's a chance to see some of it before getting eaten by a dragon.

Shortly after crossing the Vltava river, the car pulls up at the Clementium. While there are certainly plenty of people out enjoying the Saturday sunshine, there seems to be a distinct lack of students. "The academic year does not commence until October 1st," Edsger explains.

Exiting the car, Edsger leads James and Illeana through the complex, headed toward the Baroque library. The robed man gives a small tour as the group walks. "This is where Schwartzkopf lectures. It was built as a monastary, and now contains the university's largest lecture halls. He traditionally teaches in his true form without a translator, unless the lecture needs to be recorded."

James braces himself, wondering if he's about to come face-to-face with the world's ultimate predator. Edsger leads the pair down a cordoned off corridor before reaching a large set of double doors. He opens the doors and bows out of the way.

Looking past him, James sees a dwarf in the distance, standing next to a window with an open tome half his size. The dwarf hears the doors open and looks up expectantly. He gives a bright "Welcome!" with a gesture that indicates you should approach.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #172 on: <11-21-16/1052:07> »
Illeana gives a helpless shrug, as if to convey the difficulty of describing things. "Nothing so overt. More like a nudge. Imagine changing your aim a fraction of a degree. For a target right in front of you, you'll still hit it squarely. For a target a short distance away, you will wing it instead of hitting it center mass. But for a target a great distance away, you will miss it completely. Such are the machinations of great dragons, wherein by small changes they either deflect you away entirely or draw you into their orbit, all without your knowledge."

She squeezes his hand again, as if to assure him that she is still there with him, and that she doesn't enjoy the notion anymore than he does. She props her head on his shoulder and listens patiently to any questions he might have.

James is grateful for an analogy that makes sense to his particular knowledge base.  It doesn't make him any more comfortable with the situation as a whole: now he has to wonder about how much of his actions are driven by him, as opposed to those nudged by immortal dragons or nanites, or a past he has no memory of, but at least when it's packaged in the concrete and dolled up in a bow, it seems manageable if not fixable.

He gives Illeana's hand a squeeze back, and rests his head against the back of the seat.  She may have been a guest lecturer after all.  Time will tell.  Soon, her breathing is steady and rhythmic, a little feeling of home, and James forgets about Ares, the Great Dragon Schwartzkopf, and what the next few hours might bring.  Her head on his shoulder, life is made of such moments.  And he joins her in sleep.

#

The great double doors open, and James steps through.  He had thought that there may be time for lunch before he become one himself, but reminds himself that he should stop thinking like a condemned man.  Perception may not make reality, but it certainly gives shape to it, and the hunger will keep James sharp. 

He breathes in deeply, wondering if he's ever been in a library before.  The room has a distinct smell to it, and James wonders if it will trip some nostalgic circuits not completely undone by the obelisk, or the nanites, but he feels. . . nothing.  Or more precisely, he feels awe of the room in general, bathed as it is in golden sunlight, the murals on the ceiling doing more to transport him than the best ARO detailing and simsense ever has, but no clue about his past studies, or even field trips.

"Welcome," a dwarf across the room calls out, using a stylus to hold his place in the book in front of him.  James walks over, the distinct click of his shoes echoing through the room.  He stops in front of the dwarf and admires his facial tattoos before looking down at the book which appears to be written in Greek.  "Ḕ tā̀n ḕ epì tâs" James says, parroting the one Greek phrase familiar to all Ares employees -- and apparently all amnesiac former employees as well.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #173 on: <11-22-16/2008:49> »
"I am Schwartzopf," the dwarf introduces himself to James. He then glances at Illeana and realizes that perhaps he should have (re)introduced himself to her as well.

"You really have no memory of our time together, Miss Anghelescu?" he asks, more curious than offended.

Illeana shakes her head apologetically. Schwartzkopf gives a sigh through his nose.

"That is a decided inconvenience, I must admit," he says. "But that does explain some of your behavior. Until recently I was quite put out when I heard that you had sold the obelisk to the DIMR."

"About that -" Illeana jumps in to explain.

Schwartzkopf holds his hand up to cut her off. "While I certainly would have been delighted to have it available for study, there are far worse parties that it could have ended up with. Far worse. Hestaby and I have been friendly in the past. I daresay that she will let me look at it. Eventually."

Illeana glances over at James with a look that suggests that there is more to that story, but that she needs to save it for another time. James wishes he could turn his commlink back on so that the could communicate back and forth silently via their respective DNI connections.

He considers you both. "We will have much to discuss, but for now I presume your priorities are a midday meal and some proper rest. Please see to it and we will speak again soon."

You understand that your audience is over for now. Edsger reopens the double doors and waits for you to exit. He then escorts you back to the car, which takes you to the Grand Hotel Europa, Václavské nám 25, on Wenceslas Square. From the looks of it the hotel has been recently modernized, but the interiors still retain their extensive Art Deco motifs. Edsger shows you to your room on the top floor without  checking in.

"We will be right next door," he says, either to comfort you or caution you, you're not sure which. "Please be ready for dinner at 20:00."

Inside the well-appointed room, room service is waiting on silver trays and covered platters. James finds a number of local delicacies for himself, while Illeana has some chilled red pouches for her appetites.

"Let's get cleaned up," Illeana suggests. "I can cast a spell to freshen up our clothes and change their style a bit."

"No need," James announces, showing her the contents. Inside, there is an outfit for each of them for any occasion: casual wear, business, and even black tie. He finds a tuxedo for himself and a black cocktail dress for Illeana.

Illeana just shakes her head a bit. "You and I, we're not poor. But the resources of a Great Dragon still boggle the mind."

James asks, "What were you going to tell me about Hestaby?"

Illeana wanders into the bathroom and kicks off her shoes. Massaging her feet, she starts to draw a bath. James sees her eyes flitting about, wondering if there are bugs in the room. "Schwartzkopf and Hestaby have been on the same side of the dragon-metahuman conflict in the past, arguing for greater understanding and cooperation between the two species. But Hestaby called for Sirrug the Destroyer to be persecuted for war crimes. Schwartzkopf did not support her in that and now she's an outcast among great dragons. She probably took his lack of support personally, and maybe even considered it a betrayal. He might be waiting for a long time to get a look at that artifact, and in the meantime he has to be concerned that no other great dragon pinches it out of her horde as retribution for what they see as her treachery to great dragon culture. I think Schwartzkopf believes us, but it's safe to assume he's still annoyed with us."

With the tub full, Illeana undresses and slips into the water. She even goes so far as to remove her mask and set it beside her. The tub is large enough for two, so she pats the edge to invite James in.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #174 on: <11-30-16/1127:29> »
Well, that was fast, James thinks upon being dismissed by Schwartzkopf.  So this first meeting was just to decide if we'd be useful.  Or if we'd be food.  Useful in its own way, I guess.

Not that James had done much to improve on their initial impression.  His first words to a great dragon -- at least that he knows about -- and he parrots some Trojan cliche.  What a trich.  Illeana didn't fare much better, but at least she was trying to be helpful. 

Still, Schwartzkopf believes them.

Still, that might not save them. 

On the walk back to the car, and then on the drive to the hotel, James is quiet, wondering exactly what Schwartzkopf and the Benandanti will have in store for them.  Reclaiming the artifact and making good on Illeana's amnesia-induced betrayal had a certain poetry to it, a poetry made even more complete if he began collecting Chino, and Doc, Sam, and Ohanzee to pull off the job, but that didn't seem like the play a dragon would make.  No, too many unknowns, and Schwartzkopf had sounded optimistic that he would one day be able to see the artifact.  Plus, what would happen if they triggered it again? 

Nor did some other "errand" seem appropriate.  No, if they weren't being eaten, and they weren't being summarily killed, or worse if they weren't simply going back to Ares, or even left to their own devices, Schwartzkopf has something else planned.  I don't think dinner with a dragon is really offered as a courtesy.

James admires the view from the hotel room, while Illeana finds her blood packs and calls out the contents of the silver serving trays, lifting and admiring each individually.  Yes, such courtesies.  Light, meaty, Pan-American, French. 

"Of course there's kielbasa," Illeana says, as James stares off into Old Town, sunny and bright.  "And the schnitzel's gravy has sage," she adds admiringly. 

A few moments later James hears water running, and he goes to inspect the closets.  The stitching is good, and the measurements precise.  "I'll have to thank Edsger," he murmurs.  Their liaison must have sent measurements from the plane.  James leaves his clothes on the bed and joins Illeana in the bathroom.  She slips into the tub, looking to James like a ballet dancer, soaking in as she tells him about the bad blood between Schwartzkopf and Hestaby.

"Annoyed, eh?  That doesn't sound promising," James says as he joins her.  Before she has a chance to answer, James adds "So that was Schwartzkopf, neh?  So, is there human form like a different aspect of them, or a spell?  Will he appear as the same person when he's teaching, for consistency's sake, or will he change his appearance based on the lecture?  Or his whims? 

"I mean, look at this place, it's, it's unlike anything I've ever seen."

"James?"

"Yes?"

"You sound downright Moony,"
Illeana says, an impish grin crossing her face.  James smile sheepishly.

"There's something about him, though, isn't there?"

"He is a great dragon,"
she says, dipping her head into the tub as she relaxes into it.  When she comes up she says, "Let's talk about something else," and rubs her foot playfully across James' chest.

"Gladly."
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #175 on: <12-04-16/1922:14> »
James and Illeana clean up, get something to eat, get some rest, and then dressed for their dinner... date? appointment? audience? James misses the reassuring weight of his Redline pistol in his smuggling compartment. He notices that Illeana's fingers twitch a lot, likely missing the throwing knives that she used to carry on her person at all times. James still has his cyberspur and shock hand but he'd really prefer something with range greater than the length of his arm.

Illeana is wearing a Moonsilver cocktail dress and James is dressed in an Nightshade tuxedo. Despite how good the pair looks, Illeana frowns.

"¥10,000 each," she says. "What does that mean? And these are supposed to be custom fit." She spins a bit and it's clear that the dress was tailored specifically for her. James' tuxedo fits like a glove too.

Edsger picks the pair up and takes them back to the university.

"Are you security this evening?" Illeana asks him. "Or a guest?"

"Your security," Edsger answers. "Schwartzkopf provides his own." James decides that the tone of the second point conveys a sense of humorous understatement.

Arriving back at the library, it seems that "dinner" might actually be "cocktails with heavy hors d'oeuvres". The great hall is filled with many people in fashionable attire. Studying the crowd a bit, James feels that he can detect some social stratification based on proximity to the well-dressed dwarf that everyone is sucking up to in the most obsequious manner.

"Some of these have to be students of his," Illeana notes, pointing out some attendees who look like teenagers. "Lots of Awakened in here."

Waiters in white coats circle the room with drinks and silver trays of canapés, amuse-bouches, and vol-au-vent.

"Ah, you are here!" Schwartzkopf announces, breaking away from his previous conversation. (The distinguished man who had been speaking to Schwartzkopf looks most irritated.) The dwarf sweeps over and takes Illeana's arm. "Come, let us speak privately." James can feel the room staring daggers into his back.

The dwarf leads James and Illeana over to a quieter spot in the library, near an elaborate globe whose political boundaries look at least 200 years out-of-date.

"I have seen the Atlantean Foundation research and footage," he says. "But of course I wanted to hear it directly from a trusted associate. Is it true? An artifact that creates free spirits?"

"Yes," Illeana nods.

"And it was triggered in your presence?"

"Yes,"
Illeana answers. "And that is why we have no memories prior to February 1st."

"But yet, here you are. Not the brainless husks from the Atlantean's research."
(Or am I? James wonders.)

"Our understanding is imperfect," Illeana allows. "Perhaps I was able to counterspell the effect - or perhaps it was banishing? - at least enough to allow us to survive."

"Or perhaps it was your physiology,"
Schwartzkopf says pointedly to James. "That question alone could support many illustrious academic careers, as I suspect your superiors as Ares understood."

James elects not to mention how Ares wished to use the nanites to create - or further enhance - super-soldiers.

Schwartzkopf turns back to Illeana, his midnight blue tuxedo glowing under the warm lights. "But, truly, you have no long-term memory? My my, you are missing a lot. More than most, it would be fair to say."

Illeana looks around the room, at all the people who wish that they were speaking to Schwartzkopf instead. They cutting comments are not audible but are readily understood from their facial expressions. "Might I impose upon you to fill in some of the gap?" Illeana asks.

Schwartzkopf hums, perhaps weighing the time it would take to do so versus the pleasure he enjoys in his familiar role as a professor who explains things to eager students. In this case, there's a delicious novelty in having to explain the student to the student, which the dragon can't seem to resist.

"You were turned many years ago by a banshee named Adem," Schwartzkopf begins. "He was a nobleman and you were his servant. He was stunned by your beauty, and disliked the idea of you growing old or dying. He infected you, and taught you what it is to be a vampire: how to fight, how to control your powers, how to hunt. He even instructed you in sorcery now that you had Awakened.

"But you were horrified by what you had become. You stayed with your master for several decades, and in that time you found hope in your mentor spirit, Hecate, who inspired you to try and hold onto her humanity and taught you in the ways of Wicca. Eventually, you decided you would rebel against your master and try to atone for the things he had made her do. You used her knowledge of artificing to craft yourself a mask, knowing it was your looks that your master coveted, and decided to seal away your face. You then stole his sword, struck him down with it, and fled. That is what led you to me.

"You studied under me and were a fine pupil. At the completion of your studies, you even worked for me for a while. But the time came when you felt you should move on. You found a coven that would welcome you, and bonded with your sisters. I am unclear on all the details after that point, but something led you to the obelisk and your handsome friend here."

James is fairly sure that the "handsome" comment is meaningless flattery - for what purpose, he does not know - but he does admit that he looks pretty sharp in this suit. If they saw him Ares might cast him in a trid series rather than a Detroit dungeon.

He looks to Illeana to see how she'll react. Her mouth opens and closes a few times, likely cycling between a hundred details she would want to know, before she settles on asking, "How old am I, exactly?"

Schwartzkopf smiles to himself, swirling the Burgundy in his goblet. "Who is to say. How old am I, having slept through the Fifth Age? Should I count those millennia or no? Let us say that you are seven-and-a-half months old, and leave it at that."

The dwarf looks content that he has delivered a sufficient mindfrag for the moment. "If you'll excuse me, I must greet some of the other guests." With that, he breaks away toward some of the younger attendees, who then become the focus of the room's collective wrath. Illeana reaches for James' hand and uses it to steady herself as she sits down on a stepping stool meant to help Schwartzkopf reach the higher shelves. She sighs deeply as she begins to process the dragon's story.

Edit: consistently misspelling Schwartzkopf
« Last Edit: <12-05-16/1430:02> by Tecumseh »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #176 on: <12-07-16/1748:41> »
When Illeana asks how old she is, and Schwartzkopf responds with "Who is to say. How old am I, having slept through the Fifth Age? Should I count those millennia or no? Let us say that you are seven-and-a-half months old, and leave it at that," James is caught off guard.  Under most circumstances he'd roll his eyes, or suppress a roll of his eyes for decorum's or self-preservation's sake, but standing in front of a great dragon, even in his dinky little dwarf form is mesmerizing, and James finds himself thinking that the seven months comment is as close to truth as one will get, likely even all the truth they need.

What the frag?

While James is still trying to work this out in his head, Schwartzkopf gives them leave, and James notices that his drink is empty.  he freshens it at the bar, and catches a glimpse of himself in the mirror behind it, and turns to Edsger.  "I never thanked you for the suits.  I can't remember a better fit."

"While the compliment is welcomed, I'll keep in mind the mitigating circumstances,"
Edsger answers with a wry smile.

James pops his cuffs and watches the great dragon work the room for awhile, noting the glow and disappointment of the crowd as they fall under Schwartzkopf's sun and are summarily cast back into the darkness.  At least James is still feeling relief about being out from under the dragon's watchful eye.  From out of the abyss a vocabulary-building song from his secondary school days comes back to him.

A compliment every now and then can be romantic,
But pay too many compliments are you're sycophantic.

James and Illeana are mostly left to their own devices until the conclusion of the party.  James is worried, as he's want to do, that Illeana isn't enjoying herself, as she can't partake in the hors d'oeuvres or drinks, and what's even worse she can't craft them herself.  In order to head off any listlessness, James extends his hand, and asks her to dance.  Neither are particularly skilled out on the floor, but James feels her relax into him as he does his best to keep time with the jazz quartet.

"Be careful now," he says, after trying for a simple spin, which almost comes off smoothly.

"About what?" she answers.

"You look like you almost might be having some fun."

"Everybody's looking at us,"
Illeana says.

"No they're not," he answers.  "They're looking at Schwartzkopf.  Most of them anyway.  The rest are just looking at you."

In the morning they're summoned for brunch, again at the library, and over the next few days, the pair repeats the trip enough to make James believe that Schwartzkopf must live there.  In these meetings he teases out from them their history, from waking up on February first to selling the obelisk to DIMR.  These meetings don't feel like interrogations, but nobody is under any illusions.  If anything, James feels more at ease understanding the timelines of dragons, and the way that this particular one at least chooses to conduct his business and personal affairs.  Still, when the end of September begins to loom large, and they still more and more activity on campus, James does wonder what he could still want with them.  They're given great latitude during their own time, which they take full advantage of sightseeing and reading, and Edsger gives James a fob to the very nice gym facilities on the south side of campus, which he also takes full advantage of and discovers a love of fencing, which he throws himself into with gusto.

"You're fast," his instructor says, his broken English a heavily accented with Hungarian, "but your form is awful.  Yahmes, you do not need to kill your opponent, simply connect sensor, ya?"

And later, "Distance, Yahmes, distance!  You let her make a sucker of you when fall for counter-riposte, ya?"

And later, through his earpiece, while James is dripping sweat and haggard, "Your guard all wrong.  Weak on outside," and just as his opponent lunges, poised for a perfect direct attack on James' wrist he draws her point in and closer before disengaging to the outside, binding her blade and returns with his own strike to her forearm.

"Yes, fast bravo," Levante says out loud.  "Your form still szar.  You practice more, ya?"

James returns to his line on the strip, and takes off his mask to Illeana's approach.  "We have another meeting," she says.  "in an hour."

James salutes, shakes hands with his opponent and coach, and walks with her to their waiting car.

"Something wrong?"

"No.  It's just this is a dinner date.  Private.  We haven't done dinner.  I don't know what that means."

"I'm fairly certain we're not on the menu,"
James says with a smile.

"Perhaps not literally," she replies.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #177 on: <12-12-16/1304:44> »
8:01 PM Friday, September 20, 2075 - Czech Republic

After showering and dressing again in his tuxedo (which Illeana brought), James climbs into the back of a Rolls Royce Phaeton. Instead of returning to the library, Illeana and James are driven to Old Town Square. It is a cobblestone plaza surrounded by red-roofed buildings. It is a pleasant summer evening with just a hint of fall in the air. The plaza is densely packed with a cheerful festival. It does not look like the place for two people in formal attire, but the mood is more celebratory than rowdy.

"Oktoberfest," Illeana says, studying the banners. James feels a rush of anticipation from his nanites, who cry out in unison for beer.

Edsger turns around from the front seat as the limo rolls to a stop. "Miss Anghelescu, you knew this once, but be mindful of what you say. You have grown in willfulness since I knew you last. Remember what they say about dragons -"

"Never to deal with them?" Illeana interrupts, thinking that it's too far too late for that.

"No," Edsger says, a bit put off by the expression. "Rather that they follow a reliable policy of 'don't ask, tell'."

"I see," Illeana says tightly.

On the plaza there is a large glass box in a highly modern design. After James and Illeana are let out and work their way through the crowd, they see that it is a restaurant. They can see through from one side to the other, with the exception of a large aquarium in the center of the restaurant that must be 60,000 liters or more. Above, as the ceiling, another broad aquarium tank covers the entire building. A blue neon sign announces the restaurant as Akvárium. Inside, James can see waitstaff in red tuxedo jackets tending to the formally-dressed patrons, who dine as fish swim above and around them. In the front window, sitting alone in a booth, is the dwarven form of Schwartzkopf.

Inside, the atmosphere is far different than it was in the library. Instead of an air of cattiness and social backstabbing, there is a positive buzz of exclusivity and excitement. James can tell that the presence of the dragon is causing a stir among the restaurant patrons. Outside, on the plaza, tourists and other gawkers use the advancing darkness (the sun having set an hour earlier) and the Oktoberfest crowd as cover to take covert photos of the dragon.

The maître d' practically snaps his spine by straightening up when James and Illeana walk in. "Right this way," he says breathlessly, as if a moment's delay might cost him dearly. He shows the pair to the dragon's table in the front window. James notes how the table density is somewhat less than he would expect, and concludes that a ring of tables has been cleared away to provide the esteemed guest with an added degree of privacy.

"Ah, welcome," Schwartzkopf says as he stands to welcome the pair.

"You have been waiting," Illeana says nervously, aware that they should have been waiting for the dragon, not vice versa.

"Think nothing of it," Schwartzkopf says with a dismissive wave. He invites the pair to sit, and they do.

"I have taken the liberty of ordering," he confesses with an air of mild admission. "I am eager to dispense with the pleasantries and jump to the matter at hand. Namely, I wish to discuss your plans for when you leave Prague."

Wine arrives almost immediately. Some is poured for Illeana, likely for appearances. James can feel the almost unconscious disappointment of the nanites.

"A toast as we begin," Schwartzkopf says, raising his glass. Illeana seems highly conscious of being watched by so many people both inside and outside of the restaurant. She raises her glass too.

"To mutual understanding," the dwarf says in that vague way that dragons do when speaking about matters far beyond the comprehension of their listeners. The trio clink glasses. Illeana raises her glass to her lips and fakes a sip before setting it back down.

The first course arrives. The waiter introduces it as tuna sashimi with tapioca, radish, and parsley mayonnaise. Illeana lifts an eyebrow to James, then takes a bite. He realizes that she must not be wearing her mask, and that she must be willing to spend the evening vomiting in order to not appear out-of-place here.

"We have discussed this before, you and I," Schwartzkopf says pointedly to Illeana once the waiters depart. "My students know that I detest repeating myself, but given your unique circumstances we must have the conversation once again. You are in the rare position where you have many more years to fill than the average metahuman. Of all the things you must be on guard against, do not forget boredom and complacency. They are insidious.

"Look to the great dragons for inspiration,"
he says with no embarrassment. "Lofwyr accumulates. Sirrurg chose to pursue justice in his own way. I have busied myself with my studies, because I have found the pleasures of material possessions to be fleeting."

There is no break in his speech, and James can tell that Schwartzkopf is here to deliver a lecture as a professor would. James recognizes the pattern immediately from Illeana's lessons, and wonders if she inherited the style from Schwartzkopf.

"Your Bible offers some insight on the matter," Schwartzkopf says warmly as the second course arrives. (James notes the word 'your' and reasons that Schwartzkopf must mentally assign the Bible to the human race rather than to a specific culture or author.) "Ecclesiastes, particularly Chapter 2. But, really, the whole book of Ecclesiastes is a marvel. Far, far ahead of its time. I am sorry that I missed the writing of it." He shakes his head sadly at the thought.

"But whereas the Kohelet of Ecclesiastes laments that even the wise must die, the situation is different for you and I." He smiles to Illeana. "You had great potential before, and I see that same potential in you now even after your recent loss. It may take you a while to capitalize on it - a hundred years, surely - but what are centuries to you and I?"

James is feeling decidedly left out of this conversation. He looks down and sees that the second course is roasted langoustine with celery and licorice.

"To that end, I would propose an alliance of sorts. That we continue to work together and show each other preference. You may not remember every instance in your past, but you have an indispensable gift of finding yourself in remarkable situations. Think of me when you do, that is all I ask." Schwartzkopf lifts his wine glass to the notion.

"Dragons don't ask, they tell," Illeana shoots back immediately with more piquancy than James expected.

Schwartzkopf looks surprised, then annoyed, then sets his glass back down. The approaching server recognizes the look and spins on his heel. He retreats with the third course, whatever it was, lest he be caught in the crossfire.

"That is hardly fair," Schwartzkopf says defensively.

"So why are we eating in public?" Illeana asks with a bemused smile, swallowing her langoustine. "In the front window of a glass box on one of the city's busiest plazas, with the year's biggest festival just meters away? You are announcing our alliance for all the world to see."

There's a long pause while Schwartzkopf decides whether he's affronted or amused or offended or entertained. James realizes that the waiters are doing their best to spy on the proceedings from the opposite side of the aquarium in the middle of the restaurant, as if it might somehow protect them if the conversation goes poorly. Finally, after what feels like ages but is only a minute, Schwartzkopf cracks a smile.

"You have changed," he says, more paternal than patronizing. James wonders if he can detect a hint of pride in the dragon's tone. "Yes, there is an element of show, but it is to protect you more than to bind you."

He looks directly at James with a focused stare that doesn't feel much different than being on the receiving end of a shot from a Redline. "It may provide you with a cushion of sorts," he says. "It is not impervious, but the association may slow down some who may have their own plans for you." His gaze switches back to Illeana as he gives her a meaningful look.

The restaurant staff have decided that this thaw is a sufficient window in which to deliver the third course, which is marinated salmon on a spread of avocado cream, with a grapefruit and wasabi marshmallow. Illeana eats it in one bite.

"Delicious," she says, knowing that she may well regret it later.

"I hoped you would think so," Schwartzkopf responds.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #178 on: <01-03-17/1157:39> »
James nearly drops his fork at Illeana's cool but sudden outburst.  It's strange enough, her eating, but James had nearly taken that for subservience or at least the appearance of it.  She takes another bite, nearly relishing it as she continues, and James feels something not unlike hate for the great dragon.  Or maybe jealousy over what power he has to hold sway over a woman who's independence and drive and power refuse to be tamed, whose personal code had been the impetus to free her from a vampire even older and stronger than herself, and Schwartzkopf bends her knee with what? 

With spectacle.

With shame.

James pushes a langoustine tail around the plate with the tines of his fork as he eyes their server retreating with the next course, and Schwartzkopf responds that Illeana has changed, a hint of pride in his voice.

Frag you, you lizard shit.  You don't get to be proud of her.

And even before the dwarven form of the great dragon turns to him, James feels his steely resolve soften.  "Yes, there is an element of show, but it is to protect you more than to bind you," the dragon says.

And then he does turn to James, looking more into him that at him.  James feels the unconscious desire to shift in his seat, like a schoolboy or criminal, but he resists the urge and meets the dragon's eye. 

"It may provide you with a cushion of sorts.  It is not impervious, but the association may slow down some who may have their own plans for you," Schwartzkopf finishes, turning his eyes back to Illeana meaningfully. 

There is a brief reprieve as the next course is served, and talk turns back to the food while James tries to make sense of his conflicting emotional responses to the dragon's overtures.  It's not unusual to hate what one fears, but it's equally likely that awe is tied up in wonder and reverence.  And he'd felt it, hadn't he, whenever the dragon's attentions had turned his way?  Veal tartar with a coriander and fennel emulsion follows as the next course, and James notices Illeana checking the clock on the wall.

"So, this 'alliance,'" James says, the word feeling strange in his mouth, "I would assume that it comes with more than just the right of first refusal."

"Hmm?" Schwartzkopf says, savoring a bite of the veal, and James finds himself wondering about the dietary needs of a dragon.  In his wyrm form, Schwartzkopf could easily eat cows by the handful, but here he was taking dainty little bites.  Seems strange for a dragon who just moments ago was speaking of the fleeting pleasure of material wealth.

"A few months ago Ileana and I had planned on going to MIT&T, but the semester has already started.  Before that, I had recently discovered the works of a fifth world writer, Ernest Hemingway, and was passing a good deal of my time and energies paracritter hunting.  But her studies and my amusements will be of little import to you, I would assume."  The dragon nods, and James continues, "But our hopes run higher.  We have, the two of us," James gives Illeana's hand a squeeze, "been looking deeper, or farther, I guess depending on how you want to look at it, for the long game."

"So, he wishes to shake off the mortal coil, then?"
Schwartzkopf says to Illeana, before turning back to James.  "Why?"

"Pair bonding is a strange phenomenon," James says.  "Not that it often works for metas, but when it does I believe it's because they believe their relationship will last forever.  Not that they believe they will live foreer, but because they believe that their love will last for the all the forever that they have.  With us, well what did you say about Illeana, what are centuries to her?  True.  And if that's the case what is another forty, fifty years even."

"He does realize what a specious reason that is for what he's proposing, doesn't he?"
Schwartzkopf says to Illeana just as a plate of duck breast and sausage are laid before them.

"And not unwarranted?" Illeana answers back cooly.

"Very well, James.  How exactly is it that you want to die?"

The mood at the table lightens as Illeana laughs.  The dwarf gives her a quizzical look, and she says, "That's just what I asked him when we first had this conversation."

"I see," Schwartzkopf grins, piling a piece of sausage onto his duck before taking a bite.  He chews slowly, washes it down with some wine, and places his cutlery on the plate at ten and two.  "Illeana, you will be enrolled at MIT&T for the spring semester.  In the meantime, you will spend the remainder of October and November here, in Prague, to prepare yourself.  I will make the library available to you.  When you're ready to return to the UCAS, it will be arranged."

He checks the time on a silver wrist watch and says, "We should call dinner concluded.  Thank you for a very informative evening."
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #179 on: <01-16-17/0048:45> »
Before the dessert course, Illeana stands and excuses herself with an apologetic smile. James and Schwartzkopf stand too out of traditional politeness. Illeana retreats to the Ladies' Room, her Moonsilver cocktail dress shimmering as she goes. Inside the restroom, she dashes toward a stall at vampiric speeds and violently vomits her entire dinner into the bowl. She lays her head on the cool porcelain to rest for a moment until another wave of nausea overwhelms her. After two solid minutes of puking, she finally staggers to her feet, flushes her meal away, and then limps over to the sink. Bowing her head to spit and rinse out her mouth, she feels a warm hand touch her exposed shoulder. She looks up.

"Dear, it's 2075," a matronly woman with silver hair, a fox fur stole, and a trim figure tells her. "There's no need to resort to such incivilities." She glances back at the stall where Illeana just emptied her guts.

"Here, take the name of my physician," she continues, handing over a paper business card the color of bone with raised lettering. It even has a watermark. "He did my slimworm! Works like a charm, as you can see!" The woman turns back and forth, showing off her impressive measurements. "You can eat whatever you want. You'll thank me." She pats Illeana on the hand and whisks off.

Back at the table, Illeana excuses herself from the dessert course. James and Schwartzkopf enjoy a strudel with mountains of whip cream and espresso while Illeana negotiates their stay in Europe down to a month so that she can be in Salem in time for the Esbat ritual during the full moon. Schwartzkopf, understanding the importance of the ritual to a Wiccan, agrees.

With the meal concluded, James and Illeana stand to leave. As they reach the front door, they see that the festival-goers are all staring at them. They open the door with some trepidation, then step out into the late summer evening. The crowd parts in front of them, a hushed awe descending on the plaza. Illeana gives James a look, then squeezes his hand as they cross the plaza back to the waiting Rolls Royce Phaeton.

"Are we celebrities now?" Illeana whispers under her breath.

"I was part of Firewatch once," James whispers back, "so I've been a celebrity before."

"Might have to reactivate your P2.0 account," she says as the commlink cameras click all around.

The vampire and her cyber singularity seeker climb into their limousine and drive off, the new Prince and Princess of Prague.

End Chapter III