NEWS

[5E IC] The Further Adventures of James and Illeana

• 201 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #90 on: <06-11-16/0909:32> »
"Been making friends, huh?"

"Holly, this is," he pauses.  Don't say Nadja Daviar.  Don't say Nadja Daviar.  "Lethe," he blurts out and then wonders where the hell that came from?  "Lethe, Holly.  Holly here is a good shot, quick on her feet, and. . . inventive.  She's going to get us back to land."

James grabs the newly-acquired Alpha and Desert Strike and steps off the air boat and down onto the bit of land that surrounds the witch's hut.  He'd like to tell Illeana about the new rifle, how it's not as tricked out as his own, but it is a newer generation that he hasn't had an opportunity to fire yet, and how excited he is, but decides that doing so would be in bad taste.  When the air spirit materializes on Illeana's shoulder, he can't help but roll his eyes.  He certainly would've been in much worse shape without it, but this is the first he's seen it since he gave it orders to find the air boat. 

"Chui here has been keeping me up-to-date," Illeana says. Her voice doesn't betray any worry over James' escapades. Perhaps she was never worried, or perhaps all is forgiven now that he has returned intact. "Looks like you found us a ride."

"Glad he's letting somebody know what's going on.  There are a few bullet holes in her, but she'll get us back to civilization easily enough.  We need to make a call on the contraband."

"She's inside, taking a siesta. She had a rough morning, you know." Illeana mimes unzipping her chest, mimicking what her sword had done to the woman in astral combat.

"Wiz.  We done here?"

James glances back to Holly to see a look of worry on her face.  Between the yet unseen swamp denizen and imaginings over what she must look like and the fact that James was no longer standing on top of her powder keg, he can see how uncertain she feels about her continued survival.  He uses his magnified vision, and could see her knuckles whiten around the grip of her Alpha.

<<@James Well she's wound up tighter than the shocks on a Roadmaster. Should I be 'setting her mind at ease' so to speak?>>

"Holly, the rest of our gear is over there," he motions toward the behemoth skin.  "We've got some babies over there, too.  Please make sure that you don't step on them.  Lethe, are we taking any of those with us?" He regretted the question as soon as he uttered it.  This was not really an Illeana call.  Of course she'd want to take the strays in.  But then, what was James doing now?

<<@Illeana [James] She's got the boat rigged to blow, if she gives a mental command.  Ditto if she goes unconscious or dead.  If you can allay her fears without triggering her, I say go for it.>>

"Holly, you with me?  Rapidemente remember?  We gotta get going."
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #91 on: <06-11-16/1437:34> »
"Hi Holly, it's a pleasure," Illeana says in an upbeat tone, hoping to set the other woman at ease. "Can I get you something to eat or drink? I think we have some BerryWow! ProteinPow! bars around here somewhere, and I might be able to drum up a clean cup of water. No? Are you hurt at all? Do you need any medical attention?"

Holly is obviously confused by the maternal concerns, and by the supermodel beauty standing casually on an island in the middle of the swamp. She points her Alpha threateningly at Illeana when medical attention is suggested. "I'm fine! Just stay back!"

"Oh, please," Illeana says, rolling her eyes. Her indifference to the assault rifle just confuses Holly that much more.

<<@James Soynuts. I was going to douse her with a euphoria preparation if she went for some tea. She's a charmer. Maybe I'll try to cast when her back is turned; otherwise she'll notice for sure. Normally I could use some reagents to keep the flash down but I spent all of them on Chui here.>>

The little bowling ball of a bird seems to understand that it's being talked about, even via DNI. It bobs up and down contentedly.

Illeana casts a semi-sad look back at the hut. James knows that if she could have her way, she'd spend another month out here, initiating or doing whatever it is swamp witches do.

<<@James I can come back and visit on the astral to continue collaborating with her. It's going to cost a fortune in Shade though. ¥1,000 a pop.>> James can see the accountant that lives inside his girlfriend doing the math, trying to make it work on a traveler's budget. They had the savings, of course, but Illeana would want to use their proceeds from the obelisk to generate a steady stream of dividends and living income. At least, he was pretty sure that was the point of all those spreadsheets.

"We'll leave the behemoth babies," Illeana says remorsefully. "We'll have to come back and visit them." (If Holly didn't think Lethe was crazy before, she certainly does now.) Illeana goes over and scoops up the three babies. "Goodbye Chombo, goodbye Crusher, goodbye Allison." She cuddles them closely, then puts them back down, where they skitter about.

Illeana grabs the behemoth skin with both hands and deposits it on the airboat. The display of strength is not lost on Holly, especially as the boat bobs heavily when the behemoth skin is dropped. Luckily the airboat had been intended to carry much more product than it was loaded with, although the added weight does push it down far enough that the holes in the bottom start admitting water again.

Illeana tut tuts about the leak. She walks over to James, pinches a couple of the preparations she had given him, and activates one to create a bubble underneath across the holes.  The leaking stops.

"That will only hold for a little while. Maybe the behemoth skin is heavy enough to plug the holes. Pretty sure it's waterproof." She bunches up a bit of the skin and tries to push it through the holes until it reaches the bubble formed by her spell, forming a cork of sorts. "We should be able to bail water out as needed."

<<@James Behemoth skin might act as a blast shield if the boat blows. She doesn't need to know that, of course. It sounds like the policy of mutually assured destruction is helping to keep the peace.>>

James asks about the product, so Illeana goes over to investigate. She grabs the key that James had pierced with his cyberspur. "My scanner only goes down to millimeter wavelengths, so I don't think it can identify what this is. What we really need is an olfactory scanner. Let's keep it for now."

She looks to James. "Shall we?"

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #92 on: <06-13-16/1056:44> »
James sees the look of remorse in Illeana's eyes about the prospect of leaving, and feels guilty. Well, not guilty exactly, but at the very least the desire to accommodate if not indulge her.  She had done plenty of indulging him over the past few months, and while he wasn't eager to spend another three months as the third wheel, this trip was partly, alright mostly, for his benefit.

<<@Illeana [James] I doubt this location is burned.  If I was Sangre y Acero, I'd think that the team that made off my with cargo would be a couple hundred kilometers away by now, making contact with their own buyer.  They're probably going to spend more time examining their own infrastructure for leaks than launching a man-hunt.  Maybe we can come back once Holly is on her way?  Besides, I'd be interested in seeing how Chombo, Crusher, and Allison imprint on a human caregiver.>>

"Yeah, I think we're ready to go.  Holly, you're on the helm again.  Daylight's burning."

As the air boat lurches forward, James begins disassembling and cleaning the Alpha, then linking its Smartlink up with his own.   When the weapon is nearly assembled, he fires off another comm to Illeana.

<<@Illeana [James] I'm sorry about this.  I know it's not tactically sound.  I just encountered something during that last firefight.  Couldn't stand just leaving her out here.  I think I have a brother.">>
« Last Edit: <06-13-16/1106:30> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #93 on: <06-13-16/1505:41> »
Illeana knows that James has been taking a backseat to her magical work these months. First there was Sam's apprenticeship, making sure that he had the skills and mental disposition to survive on his own. Then there were all the other instances where Illeana had chased James out of the RV for days at a time so that she could concentrate in her magical lodge. She was doing it for him - for them - working out the secrets of the universe that might extend James' lifespan to match Illeana's. I can't ask him to spend a month in the swamp, she thinks to herself. There's nothing for him out here except communicable diseases. Plus, James had just had a minor outburst the other night in the plaza. Nothing major, but enough so that Illeana doesn't want to push him unnecessarily.

<<@James I can visit astrally, or she can visit me. This will just give me that much more motivation to summon a spirit that can create an astral gateway.>>

She sighs, perhaps daunted by the complexity of the task.

<<It isn't easy. It's mostly associated with insect spirits and shedim. I wonder if that's why the shedim love New Orleans so much. In addition to the availability of cadavers, you have the Mississippi, which is semi-Awakened, that creates an environment where crossing over from one side to the other is that much easier.>>

The mention of shedim and insects spirits makes James pause. It sounds like risky research to say the least.

<<Great Form spirits can create astral rifts too>> she says to help allay his fears that she might be dabbling in darker arts on his behalf. <<It's just that I don't know the right metamagic to invoke them. It's going to take a lot of work. Every initiation is harder than the last.>>

The boat is loaded and Holly begins to steer back in the direction of civilization. She does an impressive job of keeping one hand on the controls and one hand on her Alpha. James can see the white grip of her knuckles.

During the ride, Illeana investigates the key that James slit open. She wets her finger and dabs it into the white powder, bringing it up closer to her eyes for inspection. It looks like she's about to sniff it, or taste it.

"Is that a good idea?!" Holly shouts over the noise of the airboat fans. James sees the Alpha begin to raise slightly, causing him to tense.

"I'll be fine!" Illeana shouts back with a barely-concealed smirk. She turns her back to Holly, mostly so that she can covertly put her finger underneath her mask without the finger disappearing into the "face" of her masking spell. She sniffs the powder, then taps it with her tongue. She spits it out to avoid ingesting it.

"It's sweet!" she announces, again projecting her voice to be heard over the rushing air. James wonders if there's some sort of business smuggling sugar into the country from the Carib League? Cane sugar isn't particularly rare or valuable, is it?

"It's powder, not crystals, so it's not sugar!" Illeana continues. It's clear that her interest is piqued.

Holly eases off the throttle suddenly. The boat starts to coast. It's much quieter without the racing wind. "Sweet, you say?" she asks. She pauses. "It might be Fight Milk. Newest rage in underground fighting arenas. Rumor is that it started in Tenochtitlan, although I've also heard Las Vegas. The fact that we have a boat full of it from somewhere down south suggests Tenochtitlan though."

James knows that various combat drugs get popular every few years - first it was Kamikaze, then it was the Blood of Kali - but he hasn't heard of Fight Milk.

"It starts with powdered milk for calcium and powdered egg for protein. I'm not making this up. Then they add Cram and Ripper."

James knows that one. "Synthetic steroids, pseudolipids, sugars, and amphetamines. It's potent."

Holly raises an eyebrow, perhaps wondering if James is a connoisseur. That might explain his temper, and his strength. "It also has a 'secret ingredient' that evidently triggers frothing at the mouth and a desire to bite."

James and Illeana exchange a look. Holly is eyeing Illeana as if she might start biting. (She might, but not for the reason that Holly thinks.)

"Then they rehydrate it with tequila or mezcal, you slam it, and away you go," Holly finishes.

"What does it retail for?" Illeana asks.

"¥200 a glass."

Everyone glances around. You're sitting on a lot of kilos that represent a lot of glasses of Fight Milk. That might explain the submarine, and the relatively competent crew of mercs hired to transport it.

"It hasn't really caught on recreationally yet, except with the thrill-kill gangers. Most of them end up dead and on the dinner table after picking a fight with a Ghoul Cab. But those that survive the night become local legends."

James thinks about the Sangre y Acero angle. "Maybe they're selling it to fund their operations. Or maybe they're using it to dose their operatives before they go on an Azzie killing spree. Or both."

Holly nods, agreeing.

"This is my stop," she announces, as the airboat drifts toward the shore. "It's been wiz and all. I'm going to dip overboard and sit on the bottom of the lake for a bit. You get half a klick away, you should be out of signal range for the grenades."

She grabs one of the packaged keys and tucks it under her arm. "My retirement-slash-start-a-new-life-fund. Peace out." James is pretty sure he hears her add "psychos" under her breath right before she flips backward over the edge of the boat. There's a splash, and then she's gone in the murk.

James takes the helm and begins piloting the boat toward Stevens, the RV.

"Chui, get me those grenades," Illeana asks. The bobbing spirit nods and emerges with a clip of HE grenades a few moments later. "Can you repurpose these or do they need to go overboard ASAP?" she asks James.

"And then what do you want to do with all of this?" she asks, gesturing to the contraband. "I don't want to dump a potential fortune, but we don't exactly have the contacts to move this either. It's potential heat too, in case anyone comes looking. But if we manage to move it, we're that much closer to retirement."

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #94 on: <06-14-16/1747:37> »
James watches the dwarf suddenly dip over the side of the air boat.  "Drek, I didn't even get the make on her internal air tank."

Illeana gives him a quizzical look.

"Ya know, Renraku Iruka, Evo I-SCUBA Elite, Proteus AG Skimmer. . . Ares Frogman."  He pulls up a readout of his internal workings to the lower right-hand corner of his vision.

<<Agent Assessment>>
<<All Systems: Operational>>
<<Ares Instigator IAT: 87%>>
<<-- Charging>>

Hmm, that seems a little low.

"I may need to run some diagnostics when we get back," James says absently.

"Can you repurpose these or do they need to go overboard ASAP?" she asks James.

James is snapped back to reality, looking at the daisy chain of explosives.  "Yeah, they're still good," he says, taking them from Illeana and turning their wireless functionality off.  "Let's put it with the others."

"And then what do you want to do with all of this?" she asks, gesturing to the contraband. "I don't want to dump a potential fortune, but we don't exactly have the contacts to move this either. It's potential heat too, in case anyone comes looking. But if we manage to move it, we're that much closer to retirement."

"I'm not to keen on getting into the drug dealing game," James says, rubbing the back of his neck.  "Maybe we should give Ohanzee a call, see how he's been getting on.  I would take a little influx of liquid assets. . . Wonder what that stuff's like?"

James training with Ares has left him with a strong distaste for combat stims.  It must have been a Firewatch, or even an Instigator, specific prohibition as Knights Errant officers dosed up with Jazz regularly as needed.  But Firewatch were the golden boys, and as such needed that wholesome image.  Or maybe the stims made Instigators less reliable, but whatever the reason they didn't put an auto-injector in him.  He had to go to his armor for that. 

Or maybe it's my own personal bias.  Could I even get faster?  Stronger sure, but faster?

Still, these past month with Illeana, living under her quickened spells, he was getting used to "help," as it were.  Just another edge.  He could always use another edge.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #95 on: <06-14-16/1842:47> »
James takes the helm and continues piloting the boat while Illeana takes stock of their new drug horde.

"I estimate that there are 600 kilos here, give or take 5 percent," she says after counting the height, width, and depth of the pile before multiplying it out. The stack is about a meter wide, a meter long, and half a meter deep. "The next question is how many doses can you get out of a kilo?"

Illeana runs through her cooking knowledge and concludes that a kilo could be used to make 48 to 50 "servings" of Fight Milk, if one uses it the same way one uses powdered milk.

"That means the street value of a kilo is worth about ¥10,000. Times 600..." She raises an eyebrow at James for emphasis.

"Obviously we're not going to get street value," James says, trying to temper the nuyen signs in her eyes. "Bulk price is just going to be a fraction of that."

James reaches out to Ohanzee.

<<@James, Illeana [Ohanzee] I'm obviously not in a position to be moving large quantities of narcotics, nor providing liquid assets in exchange for said narcotics. I'm not even in the CAS right now, let alone New Orleans. Let me talk to Styles.>>

Ohanzee gets back to you sometime later after you've reached shore. Stevens, the RV, is on a dirt road not far away, engine humming while the air conditioning brings the interior temperature down do a pleasant degree.

<<@James, Illeana [Ohanzee] Styles knows a guy but Styles is in Denver. The guy Styles knows is in New Orleans, but the contact is obviously wary of unknown parties. Me vouching for you and Styles vouching for me is obviously extending the chain of trust. I'm just saying that the nuyen is going to get thinned out. Styles needs a percentage for his piece, plus I need a percentage for making introductions.>>

<<@Ohanzee, Illeana [James] So what are we looking at?>>

<<@James, Illeana [Ohanzee] Taking the tentative offer and subtracting out the percentages, it comes to ¥60,000. You confident you can provide security for the hand-off? If they sense that you're undermanned, they'll make a play for both the product and the nuyen. That's just how these people work; it's business arithmetic, not personal.>>

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #96 on: <06-15-16/1838:05> »
<<@James, Illeana [Ohanzee] Taking the tentative offer and subtracting out the percentages, it comes to ¥60,000. You confident you can provide security for the hand-off? If they sense that you're undermanned, they'll make a play for both the product and the nuyen. That's just how these people work; it's business arithmetic, not personal.>>

<<@Ohanzee, Illeana [James] We're confident.  Have them ping me here.>>
<<Attachment: Commcode: XXX-XX-XXXX-X>>

James reads the number off the back of his new Renraku Sensei's clam-shell packaging, before slicing it open with his cyber spur and discarding it.  "Prepaid commcodes.  For all your drug dealing and shadowrunning needs," he says wryly, powering up the new link.

"So, what do you think?" Illeana says.

"I think we may be heading back into the swamp," James answers.  "Don't want to move anything this big in the Stuffer Shack parking lot, and I'd rather keep off their home turf from the way Ohanzee makes it sound.  Let's make them bring everybody they're going to bring with them.  Probably won't have to worry too much about divers.  I mean, what kind of idiot goes around swimming in these waters anyway," he adds smiling, trying not to think too much about Holly. 

Damn that dwarf was ballsy.  Must have ovaries on her the size of behemoth eggs.

"Right,"  Illeana says.  "I'm going to get to work on some preparations while I'm at the height of my power.  Maybe a nice big spirit too.  That should make a good show of force."

"You may want to hold off on the spirit,"
James answers.  "I doubt we'll be meeting before dark, and it will want to dip by then, right?"

Illeana nods in the affirmative, and they begin discussing what to do about the sunk air boat.  James tosses around the idea of just burning the SIN, as it would be more cost effective than replacing the boat, but Illeana says, "He's bound to have insurance.  Besides, we have the behemoth skin.  That should be worth something to him."

"Plus it shows we're not blowing drek up his hoop."

"Plus it shows we may not be the kind of people he wants to jerk around,"
Illeana adds.

James smiles and asks Stevens to pilot them to the boat rental facility.  The journey is much more pleasant in the air conditioned RV, and even Illeana seems glad to be away from the sweltering swamp and intense sun, and back in the presence of her lodge.  Stevens "happily" drives them to the backwoods shop, and James steps out and back into the late afternoon heat.

"Hoi, chummer," he says, rubbing some sweat that instantly appears on his brow.  "So, we ran into some trouble on that air boat,"

"Who the hell are you," the man snaps.

"Aarons, sir.  Jonathan Aarons,"

"That's right,"
the man says, absently pulling up their records from his commlink.  "Hell, son, you were supposed to be back with that air boat yesterday,"

"My sincerest apologies for the wait, sir, but we ran into some trouble."

"I bet you did."

"You see, a behemoth--"

"Alright, son, cut the crap."

"No, sir, it's no crap.  Julianne, would you mind,"
he calls back to the RV.  Illeana emerges, hoisting the behemoth skin behind her.

"The craft's a loss, sir, but as you can see, there's no crap to cut."
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #97 on: <06-17-16/2130:16> »
Illeana drags the behemoth skin over to the portly airboat proprietor, who looks like he's been frying all of his meals ever since he was weaned.

"Well, now," he stutters. "I know that can't be a real behemoth skin because it would be far too heavy to -"

Illeana drops it in a heap. It lands with a colossal THUD, sending up a cloud of hot, orange dust from the earth. The proprietor wipes his forehead, sweating under the late afternoon sun.

"Well..." he says, stuttering. "Well..." He looks at the skin, then Illeana, then the skin again, and presumably wonders how a supermodel is able to carry that much weight.

He goes over and prods it with his foot. It doesn't even budge under the pressure. "You don't say," he says, dripping a steady stream of perspiration off his head.

"Well, yes, Mr. and, uh, Mrs. Aarons. I see that. I'd, uh, be willing to overlook the, uh, unfortunate loss in exchange for this, uh, fine hide. That would save us, uh, quite a bit of paperwork, you see, with the Department of Fish & Wildlife & Paralife."

James glances over at Illeana, who gives a barely perceptible shrug.

<<@James I already used the mono-garrote to nick off the legs. That should be enough to make you a good pair of boots, belt, gloves, maybe assless chaps. I didn't have a plan for the rest. It's probably worth a fair bit, but letting the matter drop might help us avoid some administrative hassles, especially they burn a SIN. The hide is probably worth more than the SIN, but then there's the hassle of selling the hide and acquiring a new SIN. But it might be worth ¥5,000 or ¥6,000 of profit if we're willing to risk the SIN.>>

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #98 on: <06-21-16/1213:17> »
<<@Illeana [James] Agreed.  I think he can sweeten the pot a little bit for us.>>

"You come out mighty fine on that deal, eh?  Get the insurance nuyen for the boat, and this here skin'll make amends for us putting you out, which I sincerely apologize for.  And I hate to test your good nature, sir, but were put out quite a bit as well.  You see, I uh, I lost something very dear to me in those swamps, and I need to run back for it.  Tonight.  You give us an extra rental, say one of those Mitsubishi Waveskippers for the night, off the books and free of charge of course, and I think we've got us a deal."

James extends his hand, and a steady smile.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #99 on: <06-21-16/2002:52> »
The man doesn't shake and leaves James' hand awkwardly hanging in midair.

"Now, son," the perspiring proprietor begins with a mildly admonishing tone,"I can't do that. See, my insurance here only covers boats at the dock and boats out on rentals. If you take a boat out without a signed rental agreement and another behemoth strikes, the good folks at Fidelity Mutual Insurance Corporation aren't going to receive my claim sympathetically, ya hear?"

<<@James FMIC. Division of Wuxing, Inc.>> Illeana comms unnecessarily. <<I put Analyze Truth on him. He's telling it straight.>>

James swallows his pride and forks over the additional ¥199 to rent the Waveskipper.

"Now if you'd be so kind as to help move the skin into my shack... I'd help except I have a condition... Doctor's orders."

<<'Doctor's orders' are bulldrek. Is bulldrek? Are bulldrek? Either way, bulldrek.>> Illeana smirks. While "Jonathan Aarons" finalizes the transaction, she scoops up the skin and drops it inside the man's small wooden hut, promptly cracking two or three floorboards underneath its weight.

It's night in the swamp. Bullfrogs croak and insects buzz. Fireflies bob and weave, looking for love.

It's 22:00, just before the appointed meeting time. Illeana has spent the last few hours summoning a terrifying spirit of fire, as well as finalizing some magical preparations. Chui the air spirit remains on call, as does the water spirit, Billy the Kid.

The fire spirit does not look pleased to be there. While respectful of Illeana's current potency, being surrounded by water is clearly making it uncomfortable. Firefly after firefly plunges into the spirit's fiery form, looking in vain for a mate.

"Fireflies. How literal," Illeana says, watching one plunge in flames into the simmering swamp water below.

Tactically, James disapproved of having the large fire spirit shine like a beacon, but from a practical standpoint it served as a waypoint for their guests. Illeana assured James that she would pick up any threat within 250 meters via her magic, which would be more than enough advance notice.

Illeana waits in her unadulterated form: long black coat, black gloves, black ballistic mask with a white Wiccan symbol carved on the face. Her sword was out and resting over her shoulders as she scanned the swamp for signs of danger.

There's a hum in the distance. Illeana's vampiric hearing picks it out first; the audio enhancers in James' ballistic mask identify it moments later. It sounds like airboats approaching at low speed.

"Not hostile," Illeana announces. "Not yet, anyway."

With one hand on her sword, Illeana flips a throwing knife around with the other.

"If drek goes sideways, dive in the water and Billy will drag us off. Remember, I have the buoyancy of a stone, so I can't keep pace with you in the water. We don't need this; this is all frosting."

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #100 on: <06-22-16/1128:27> »
"If drek goes sideways, dive in the water and Billy will drag us off. Remember, I have the buoyancy of a stone, so I can't keep pace with you in the water. We don't need this; this is all frosting."

She's right, they don't need it, and even if they did James can think of a number high enough to lose Illeana over.  But she's also full of bulldrek herself, just like the old hard-ass at the boat rental.  She couldn't keep up with him in the water, sure, but he could stay conscious for hours at the bottom of the swamp.  She'd go dormant in a matter of minutes.  But how many minutes?  She'd told him once, but he didn't know if her improved powers would affect that at all. 

"Have Billy drag you off first.  I'll catch up at the Waveskipper, and we'll be gone.  Our little two-seater will be able to go places a larger boat can't follow."

James tilts his head from side to side, some long-lost habit for cracking his neck from before his neck was uncrackable synthetic polymers and titanium mesh.  He lets the Ares Alpha hang in its sling while he reaches down and powers on the Satellite Link, then double-checks his new burner comm, and sets it on the control panel of the air boat. 

Vision is a problem.  The fire spirit works great for letting the prospective buyers know where they are and how to get to them, but it also makes the black of the swamp even blacker, makes the prospective buyer's movements that much harder to discern.  He switches to thermo, but the waves of heat coming off of the spirit continue to plague his long-range sight. 

The boat approaches, and James can hear water lapping against its hull.  They're almost in view now.  "Hoi."
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #101 on: <06-27-16/0037:45> »
Noisy Waveskimmers approach. They circle a larger, slower boat that - from a distance, looks more like a mini-barge, or a party boat. The Waveskimmers make no effort of being stealthy. Even with the swampy nighttime temperatures, James can easily pick out their thermographic signatures at a distance. He sees them bouncing over each others' wakes, reminding him somewhat of dolphins. They seem more playful than professional. A go-gang, perhaps? Or is their lack of stealth a show of intimidation: they'll announce their presence, even amid the prospect of ambush?

"Ah, slitch," Illeana groans. James shoots her a look.

<<@James The good news is that we probably don't have any fear of being hacked. The bad news is that they're all possessed, likely loa.>>

James recognizes the term from one of Illeana's interminable lectures that she had given while they approached New Orleans from the southwest.

"Vodou approaches conjuring differently than most traditions," she had said. "Their spirits are called loa. They are not servants but rather gods to be pleased. Voudon conjurers summon spirits not so that the spirits may serve them but rather so that they may serve the spirits. They do so by handing over control of their bodies to the loa, who use the bodies to explore the world. It's part of the reason behind the Bacchanalia of New Orleans." James didn't remember the rest, but he was familiar with possession due to his time with Firewatch and his work with insect spirits. The spirits would make their vessels strong and durable. A possessed man might lose his arm but keep coming at you, as he was just a shell for the spirit.

James opens his mouth to speak but realizes that DNI is faster and that there's not much time before the guests arrive. <<@Illeana But don't possessed vessels only use the spirit's skills? Spirits can't pilot Waveskippers.>>

"Task spirits," Illeana hisses under her breath before switching back to DNI. <<@James They have task spirits piloting the boats. The others are guardian spirits and are potent fighters. The one in the middle is a monster. Their guns won't just be for show. The task spirits are tricky, and will fight by tripping you up, or holding you down. And even if they can't get to you, there's enough of them that they can tear me apart on the astral.>> She gulps audibly.

The approaching men and women are all a deep shade of black, either Jamaican or West African, many of them with long dreadlocks. The man in the middle is either a huge human or an ork. He sits imperiously on a throne on the party boat, dressed looking like the Baron Samedi: purple top hat, white luminescent skull painted on his face, wearing what looks like a jet black tuxedo with the arms ripped off. He has a cane in one hand and a cigar in the other. He raises his hands slightly; all the engines cut off simultaneously. They begin to coast toward your position.

<<@James The man in the middle is likely the houngan. It occurs to me that if he is sufficiently powerful to conjure all these spirits then he is likely strong enough to counterspell my spells of detection.>>

That means that their early-warning defenses may be down. James suddenly feels a lot less comfortable. <<@Illeana Would you know?>>

Illeana flinches, and James can tell that she's suppressing her inner lecturer. <<@James Short answer, no.>>

Drek, James thinks, but he manages to raise his hand and say "Hoi" instead.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #102 on: <06-28-16/0138:35> »
The houngan raises his hand with a cigar in it. He points his fingers toward the packaged product, then turns his palm up and lifts. Illeana takes a kilo and tosses it to him. It stops in midair in front of him. He considers it, the kilo rotating gently as if it were in zero gravity.

James tries to piece together the behavior of the Voudon, but it's beyond him. There are no facial expressions to judge. Their body language could be interpreted as anything. None of them speak, so there are no vocal cues or words to evaluate.

The man gestures and the kilo drops into the bottom of his boat.

<<@James [Illeana] I feel... fuzzy. I don't think it's background count. I think he's jamming the mana around me. He's not actively dispelling our spells, but it's like noise in the Matrix. Could just be defensive or it could be a test.>>

The man raises both hands and repeats the gesture. It seems he wants the rest of the product. Illeana holds her own hand out, indicating her expectation for payment. The skull-faced houngan turns his chin ever-so-slightly. It's a mysterious gesture that could indicate anything from curiosity to him shaking his head "no".

<<I'm going to risk a bluff, same as I did with the witch.>>

James feels Illeana tense. Her black form seems to flare imperceptibly, almost like her shamanic mask. It's as if all her power in the astral is bleeding over to the physical realm.

The houngan visibly leans back. He holds his hands up, palms out, to concede. He slowly reaches with one hand - almost like someone afraid of being gunned down - into his tuxedo coat. He pulls a credstick out of a pocket on his tuxedo vest, then levitates is slowly over to James. He taps it onto the credstick reader of his commlink.

>> Merci d'utiliser Expo Banque Nationale
>> Solde créditeur: 1,200,000 doubloons

<<@Illeana [James] Quick, what's the nuyen-doubloon exchange rate?>>

<<@James [Illeana] Are you kidding me? Oh perps. 22 to 1?>>

That would suggest that the amount was not the agreed-upon ¥60,000. James decides to double check. It takes longer because of the slow uplink on the satellite, but after a minute he finds the correct answer of 20:1. The amount is what was expected. James nods.

Illeana lifts her hands and the kilos start to rise. She fires them off one-by-one. They fly quickly, almost as if they had been shot out of an air cannon, but the houngan has no trouble catching them magically and stacking them like bricks in his boat. After three or four minutes, the process is complete.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #103 on: <06-28-16/1146:44> »
James greeting goes unanswered.  From the approach, the large barge that looks more suited for weekend parties than late night drug smuggling, and what little he knows about voudou, James would imagine loud whoops and other decadent posturing.  Instead, the engines cut out, and even the swamp life falls silent. 

<<@James [Illeana] I feel... fuzzy. I don't think it's background count. I think he's jamming the mana around me. He's not actively dispelling our spells, but it's like noise in the Matrix. Could just be defensive or it could be a test.>>

This new information is dangerous.  They're being sized up, prodded for weaknesses, and they're prods that the pair can't easily answer.  They're on their back feet now, playing defense.  But a good defense here will mean no defense is needed later.  Hopefully.  James remains impassive, both inwardly and outwardly.  He isn't going to let the doubts claim him now, not like out with the smugglers when he got too far into his own head to operate at peak performance.  Even now he doesn't let the inhabiting spirits bother him.  If they're housed in flesh, I can kill that flesh.

<<@Illeana [James] Then we'd better pass.>>

The man in the top hat with the skull face paint motions for a sample of the product, and Illeana fires one off at him like a grenade from an Ares Alpha.  Satisfied with the quality, he motions for more, and for a moment there's a brief standoff: Illeana refusing to hand over the rest of the shipment without payment, and the houngan unsure they're worth paying.

<<I'm going to risk a bluff, same as I did with the witch.>>

<<You can do it.  I'm right here with you.>>

Illeana's display is enough to give the man pause, and send the credstick over to James.  He adjusts his three-point sling to grab the credstick out of the air and tap it to his link.  Doubloons?  Seriously?  While he's anything but, James manufactures an exasperated sigh as he checks on the exchange rate, and nods to Illeana.

As she begins firing the kilos of Fight Milk over to the party barge, James takes his place at the helm of the air boat, his back to the controls, as he keeps his eyes on the seven dark forms.  As soon as the last is up, he elbows the throttle slightly, and the air boat begins its egress, 600 kilos lighter.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #104 on: <06-30-16/0119:00> »
James steers the airboat south, toward the hidden Waveskipper. Behind him, the Voudon turn and head to the west, rocketing off with hoops and hollers.

"I still don't feel good..." Illeana says, casting a glance over her shoulder at the houngan. James looks too. The houngan is still sitting imperiously on his throne but doesn't seem to be paying you the least bit of attention.

"My sword..." she says, trailing off. She holds it in front of her, with a befuddled expression on her face.

The sword drops, clattering in the empty bottom of the boat. James releases the throttle, alarmed. Illeana pitches forward, landing on all fours like she's about to heave up her dinner.

James rushes over to check on her. He bends down next to her, a hand placed gently on her back. Behind him, the fire spirit flickers suspiciously, as if it had been suddenly dimmed.

"The bayou!" Illeana croaks from behind her mask. "It's Awakened!"

James isn't entirely certain what this means, but he can hear the alarm in her voice.

"It's a mana surge!" she finally blurts, after gagging on her first attempts to speak.

James stands, ready to hit the throttle and high-tail it back to land as quickly as possible. Illeana looks up at him, then gasps, "Get down!"

Before he can process her warning, she lurches up and tackles him. He lands on his back, Illeana covering him, as the unmistakable whistle of a high-velocity rifle round whips by overhead.

The signal has been given. The swamp erupts in automatic gunfire, the air crackling with multiple shooters all laying down suppressive fire. There are deep booms suggesting at least one of the shooters is using a fully automatic shotgun.

The airboat is not durable. James knows it's just a matter of seconds before it's completely riddled with bullets, after which it won't provide cover any longer. "Into the water!" he shouts over the din of gunfire.

"No!" Illeana insists, keeping him pinned with what strength she can muster. "Billy the Kid... he's gone!" James doesn't understand. "The mana surge!" she explains.

There's a steady rain of shrapnel landing in the airboat. Looking over, James sees that it is not pieces of the boat hull; rather, it is flechette ammo and shotgun pellets pinging around. It's a curious choice of ammo, as these rounds usually just flatten themselves against body armor. What they are good for is creating suppressive fire -

"That's impossible to dodge," James says out loud, gritting his teeth. Someone knows about his performance from earlier today, and someone isn't interesting in allowing him to repeat it.