NEWS

[5E IC] The Further Adventures of James and Illeana

• 201 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #75 on: <04-27-16/1205:45> »
James ducks back behind the tree he's using for cover, and pulls his dry bag up onto his chest before unraveling it and unbuckling the hinges.  He grabs the stock of his Ares Desert Strike first, then the barrel, then the magazine, and in no time at all the sniper rifle is assembled and ready for use.  Not yet, he thinks, patting the composite stock before looping the sling around a low-hanging branch.  Hopefully, I won't have use for you at all, but good to know you'll be here waiting for me.

He pulls the rest of the grenades that Illeana had the foresight to bring along with them out of the dry bag and attaches them at various points on his chameleon suit, patting the breast pocket where he's slipped in the preparations she's made as well.  He had considered waiting for the smuggler to finish up, maybe follow the air boat for a bit before striking, but in the end he's decided to try to get the drop on them while they're working.  Maybe, if there hacker isn't on the ball, he can sow enough discord that they'll end up striking out against one another, making his job all the easier.  Scratch that.  Nothing about this is gonna be easy.  You know better, chummer.  No underestimating.  These guys are professionals, and they've got a spirit.  They'll geek you in a second, so stay frosty now, even in the swamp.

He double-checks the seal on his ballistic mask one last time, pulls the hood of his chameleon suit back over his face, and activates his internal air tank.  He marks the location of the furthest air boat with his cyber eyes, and slips into the swamp silently, feeling the tepid, brackish water envelop him in a protective covering of filth and microbial life.  From a couple meters below the surface, James begins to kick toward the first location he's marked on his cyber eyes, covering the distance in about a minute-and-a-half given his slow and stealthy pace.  Once he hits his mark, he begins to come up and finds himself against the hull of the air boat.  He moves to the south, feels the hull give way to air, and comes up at the stern.  He makes quick work of attaching a high explosive grenade just above the water line as the smugglers continue their work.

"I said over, port side," the hissing voice commands.

Whatever the response, it's lost to James as he slips back into the water, and begins the swim to the second location he's marked: the stern of the submarine.  He's about to surface again, when an alert pops up in the lower right-hand corner of his vision.

<<MARK Granted: Device#: 1XB26779H8>>

Ghost he's fast.  Hecate, protect me.

When he surfaces again, he can feel a difference in the air.  The smuggler's speech is faster now, more alert, perhaps tinged with fear.

"I told ya, all our comms are off," a voice hisses insistently.

"Then I'm telling you we aren't alone," a new voice chimes in.  "We got word.  Somebody's out here."

There is certainly no turning back now.  Even if he wanted to, they'd come looking.  He knows he would.  Giving the mental command to detonate, James waits for the blast before pulling himself out of the water and up the side of the submarine.  It comes immediately, first a low thunk followed by the sound of fire catching air and shrapnel raining down on the swamp water.  Hopefully, that's one down and only six known hostiles to go.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #76 on: <04-29-16/0152:03> »
James triggers the grenade and catapults himself out of the water in one smooth motion. His feet land squarely on the deck of the submarine while the troll's feet fly out from underneath him as his airboat starts sinking.

James turns and runs for the human female on watch. She somehow knows he is coming - either from the sound of his running or the vibrations in the deck of the sub or something. She turns and James can see her eyes go wide as she screams, "Contact!" She raises up her AK-97 and sprays off a wild burst. Her control over the weapon is minimal and her accuracy is lamentable. James moves his head slightly aside to avoid having one graze his ear.

Behind him, the air spirit tries to trip up James. He feels the invisible hands reaching for his wrists and ankles but he has little difficulty in high-stepping out of the tackle. James continues with his charge and, popping his cyberspur, impales the female human just as she turns to run. The spur bursts through her liver and lungs before James withdraws it and she collapses in a bloody heap on the submarine deck.

James hears the dwarven female cry, "Open fire!" shortly before an Ares Alpha attempts to cut him down.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #77 on: <05-06-16/1235:06> »
The dwarf who yells "Open Fire!" is the first to take her own advice.  He dodges before he hears the familiar burst from her Ares Alpha, as otherwise the supersonic load would have already pierced his chameleon suit and buried themselves in his mechanical lungs by the time the reports had reached his cybernetic ears.  Crouching low, the bullets wiz overhead, and he begins pulling grenades from the various pouches covering his torso and waist.  The Air Spirit roars up behind him, not just trying to tackle him, but draw him into itself, but James rolls forward and out of its grasp, coming back up on his feet in time to see the large troll jump from one sinking air boat to the other.  Drek, he's still up.  And unharmed!

The two ork men on the conning tower open fire on James as he comes back up, and he sidesteps to the right as the bullets smack harmlessly against the hull of the submarine.  Instinctively turning his body sideways, James dodges another swipe from the Air Spirit.  Just as the grenades leave his hands, James is treated to another volley from the dwarf, but his sideways profile makes too small of a target for her to hit.  One grenade arcs up into the conning tower, and out of the corner of his eye James can see one of the orks reaching for it before his cybernetic arms are blown apart, and he's rocked backwards and out of view.  The other takes a blast of shrapnel to his face, and James can only hope that some blood in his eyes will make further attacks less accurate.

Similarly, the troll on the air boat steps forward, and tries to throw the flash-bang back in James' direction.  Also similarly, the grenade explodes in his hand, but besides taking a small step backward, and letting out a roar of frustration, the grenade seems to have little effect.  Yeah, try that one more time, big guy.

Seeing the havoc that this near-invisible killing machine has racked up in four seconds, the dwarf lets loose with a grenade from her Ares Alpha.  James hears the low thunk, and rushes forward, hears the grenade explode behind him, and dodges behind the conning tower, out of her sight.  He scans his surroundings, knowing there should be an elf around here somewhere, while also keeping his eyes high, for when the remaining ork trains the sites on his uzi back in James' direction.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #78 on: <05-12-16/0146:55> »
James hears a tell-tale bloop coming from the airboat and knows that an Ares Alpha is trying to lay an egg on him.

You should probably move, the voice of Illeana suggests with an amused detachment. Or don't, I'm not your boss.

James fires a mental signal to his hydraulic jacks to get him the hell out of there. The jacks fire simultaneously, launching James a solid ten meters with a single bound. He lands at the base of the conning tower, pursued closely by the air spirit.

A high-explosive grenade detonates behind him, but James has already moved onto more pressing issues. For starters, the air spirit is trying to cut off his escape to the rear. Second, the elf on the north end of the boat isn't the least bit fooled by James' camouflage and opens up with a rapid burst from his assault rifle. Third, the angry ork from the conning tower leans over and does his best to pour a long burst onto the top of James' head.

Time slows down for James. Maybe it's his synaptic boosters, or maybe Illeana's magic is taking on a new form. You don't need to dodge the bullets, she reminds him. Just the shooters.

With superhuman agility known only to the elite of the elite, James contorts himself into the perfect shape that happens to match the outline of the bullets currently pinging off the submarine hull. He shrugs off the air spirit once, then twice, the casually flicks aside the rushing kick of the elf. James whips out his laser and slices a piece off the air spirit before counterstriking the elf with his cyberspur. The elf, perhaps taking a cue from James, tries to backflip out of range. All he succeeds in doing is exposing his back to James' strike, which lances straight though the elf's armor vest, then his liver, then his lungs, before protruding out the man's chest.

James hears the engine of the intact airboat catch as the fan quickly begins to whir. Inside the submarine, there are echoing shouts and rushing feet.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #79 on: <05-16-16/1138:19> »
The elf slides off of James' cyber spur and into a heap on the deck of the submarine, as James hears a roar of automatic gunfire behind him.  A few errant shots ping harmlessly against the conning tower, but it seems as though the dwarf is trying to keep him pinned down behind cover.  Smart move.  Maybe.  Unsure I'd waste the ammo right now, James concludes as he flattens his back against the conning tower, dodging the spirit yet again, and fires his laser pistol at the base of the prone elf's neck, just to make sure he doesn't get back up.

Things have been quiet above him on the conning tower, so James readies his one teargas grenade, activates his hydraulic jacks and leaps upward to dunk the grenade into the hull of the submarine.  Between the automatic gunfire and the spirit harrying him, James notices that the latch is closed a moment after throwing the grenade down hard.  It bounces once, the change in trajectory detonating it, and before James can reach the ground the spirit has whipped up the smoke, centering its effects on him.

He's glad for the air tank as he feels his lungs pulling on its reserves from the stress, but the middle of a gas cloud is not where he wants to be regardless.  James lashes out with his cyber spur, but strikes empty air, not an air spirit.  He tries again with the Redline, taking a moment to aim, but the spirit's moving so fast that he can't get a bead on it.  He's rushing himself now, knowing just how fast the clock is ticking down.  They're going to dive, and I'm going to go back empty-handed.  If I go back at all.  He fires the Redline, and seems to strike nothing.

Calm down, James.  Take your time.  You're still faster than these hoops making sure you do it right.  So make sure you do it right.  He's less than convinced.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #80 on: <05-19-16/0143:09> »
Back at camp, Illeana pauses in the middle of the conversation. She leans back and emits a long exhale. The witch looks at her quizzically.

"Mon ami... se bat?" she attempts in French, miming a fight.

Illeana watches via her mental link with the spirits. She counts the opponents, wonders what James will do to even the seven-to-one odds. Surprise, certainly, she thinks. Ah, yes, explosives. I should have known.

Emotionally, she is a strange mix of calmness and nerves. Her exterior is blank, and she could hide her churning aura if the witch easily enough. James isn't in any real danger, she assures herself. He's armored enough to survive any single hit. All he has to do is jump in the water for cover and Billy will drag him home.

She watches remotely as the female human is stabbed, then the arms are blown off one of the male orks. Do they deserve it? she wonders, thinking about all the life choices that might lead someone to be standing guard in the swamp, only to be ambushed and killed in a matter of seoncds. Do they not deserve it?

She is comfortable with death. Strangely comfortable. Ever since the hunters that first night that she and James "woke up", she has known that she accepted death and was willing to dish it out. But still... something tugs inside her. Perhaps it is her mentor spirit, her inner maternal nature that cannot deny help to those who need it. What was I before I woke up? She loses the thought amidst a hail of gunfire that James somehow emerges from unscathed. She sighs and shakes her head.

The male elf seems to be a competent fighter, but it is only a matter of seconds before James has him lanced, then appropriates the man's gun. James sprays the sky with long bursts but cannot score any more than a grazing hit on the slippery air spirit that bobs and weaves as quickly and as elusively as any summer breeze.

Illeana turns and looks in the direction of the fight, even though it has her looking at a mud wall. The battle is kilometers away and she has no chance of reaching it in time.

I could release Billy and resummon a fire spirit to fight, she thinks. But, no, Billy is his escape route. If only I could project!

She stops and does a mental inventory of her pockets, but she does not have any Shade on her.

Even if I did, she thinks, glancing at the witch, would I leave my body here unguarded? Madame here is speaking freely, her aura is not angry, and my magic does not detect her as an enemy, but still... Her eyes dip to the witch's handmade knife, a brutally sharp weapon focus. She could end me with a flick of her wrist if she suspects what I am. How else could I have channeled so much Magic seemingly out of nowhere? She must wonder why someone who can do that would come seek her counsel out here in the swamp. She does not understand, and someone who does not understand cannot trust.

Her stomach clinches slightly each time the air spirit moves to engulf James, even though it has been completely unsuccessful up to this point. Plus Illeana knows James' strength, knows that an air spirit could not contain him any more than a mud hut could.

James is in no danger unless he does something stupid or something unlucky. She knew he wasn't stupid... but luck? That was an intangible, even for a magician of Illeana's power. What would I do without him? Where would I go? She sighs, thinking about vampire thralls and conspiracies and plots for world dominance. It was all so tiresome. She would return to her magic, she knew, but still... It is nice to have someone to go home to at night.

"Il sera bien," Illeana says with a small smile. "De quoi parlions-nous?"

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #81 on: <06-02-16/1115:50> »
The standoff with the spirit fails to intensify, but it does lengthen.  James is losing valuable seconds, and he knows it, firing again and again at the spirit and hitting nothing but air.  Not even the right kind of air.  At the same time, the spirit isn't getting anywhere with James either.  Every time it begins to substantiate itself, to get some sort of grip on him, James ducks or bobs, or simply shakes it off.  He wonders if this is frustrating for the spirit, or if they simply do their tasks with a reserved detachment, they way James' own body sometimes operates. 

James decides to ignore the spirit to the best of his ability.  He'll keep in view, keep dodging its attacks easily like it has been doing to his, but he's got to get this sub sunk so that he can turn his attention to the duo on the air boat unhindered.  He repeatedly fires at the hull of the sub, about three centimeters port of a seam, which he hopes will mean a weak spot.  Emptying his Alpha he trows the empty mag and the air spirit in disgust and loads another, repeats the process.  After twenty rounds or so, the air spirit tries to literally pulls the Alpha from James' hand.  Maybe they get frustrated after all.  It's only a moment before James has control of the gun again.  He must look like a sight from fifty meters out, playing tug-of-war with a little cloud all alone by himself but surrounded by corpses shooting his way into a submarine. 

The slight pause in gunfire gives James an opportunity to view his progress.  The outer hull is stripped away, but there's an inner barrier which barely looks scuffed.  James dodges another attack from the spirit by leaping to the conning tower, turns, and fires a grenade at the inner hull.  He ducks down for cover, putting himself face-to-face with the ork his last grenade tore  apart.  Poor fragger looks alive, but on his way out.  James notes the machine pistol by his side, but doubts the meta is even conscious at this point, and with the explosion still echoing he drops his Alpha and tries to force the hatch open with both arms pulling up violently.  The hatch gives way without the slightest resistance sending James backwards slipping on blood.  Grabbing his assault rifle, James drops the three meters to the inner hatch and tries to repeat the process, finding the turn wheel fighting him.  He gives it a good twist, and meets his match with an even stronger counter turn.  Probably using a cheater bar.  Or another spirit, James notes that the air spirit hasn't followed him into this cramped enclosure. 

He scrambles his way back topside, only to find a much larger spirit of earth materialize behind him and slam the hatch door closed just as he clears it.  Startled, James dives off the conning tower, hitting the deck hard and rolls back on his feet to find some sort of magnetic pull is trying to make him stick to the sub.  He looks up at the spirit wearily.  The air spirit is gone, so there must be a summoner below deck.  Even if James can geek it, he'll just be faced with another, and then another all while the sub continues tracking south, and the air boat makes its escape.  He focuses his energy, and breaks his hold to the deck, diving off the port side of the sub and back into the thick and muddy swamp water.  He stays underwater all the way back to his dry bag, finding it by following the beacon he had marked on his AR overlay. 

Surfacing at the bag, James retrieves his Desert Strike, and nimbly begins taking it apart and placing the components where they'll stay dry. James can make out the sound of the sub, but he can't hear the air boat any longer, so as he works he orders the air spirit, "Find the air boat that left here and come back to tell me where they are and what direction they're heading."

With any luck they're trying to stay stealthy, and that means slow.  Maybe he's got a chance after all.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #82 on: <06-08-16/1238:19> »
The spirit has barely vanished from view before James thinks, Frag this.  Those things can move at the speed of thought or something, right?  She should still be able to catch me when I surface.  Besides, James can feel the weight of the Desert Strike pulling behind him, I don't think miss Wispy is all that on the ball.  He submerges again and swims in the direction of the air boat's original course, the other spirit pulling him along at a nearly incomprehensible rate.  Once or twice he barely misses trees, feeling their giant root structure against his chest and belly as he rears to the left and kicks hard.  With the spirit behind him it's almost like piloting a boat, and he has to account for the drift.

Surfacing, James takes a moment to inspect the surroundings.  He's about 250 meters out from their original course.  If he was trying to lose himself, he'd head out straight, gunning the air boat for all that it was worth before changing course.  Of course, if it was really James, on the run from something that had geeked his entire team, he might not pause at all.  He sees a branch, just about a meter from the water line, stripped of moss, and another that's been broken.  Zooming in with his magnified vision, he sees other signs further along on south, south-westerly course.  He ducks again, swims another 200 meters, finds some matted grass and some sort overturned earth at a particularly narrow choke point.  Going slow they can't afford any back-tracking. 

When he surfaces next he can see the air boat in the distance, maybe .  The female dwarf is on watch, her assault rifle at the ready.  Tiring pose to keep, but she looks alert.  And she's damn near geeked me twice, James adds to himself.  He slips beneath the surface of the water, going another half-meter down from his regular depth.  He swims as hard as he can for twenty-eight seconds, overshooting the air boat, and surfaces behind a Bald Cypress that's nearly as wide as an Americar, and begins to climb, his arms out as straight as possible so that the dry bag hangs freely and doesn't drag against the trunk, while the water-logged Ares Alpha hangs behind his back on a looped sling around his shoulders.  He knows the slip knot will hold, but it makes him nervous regardless.  At nearly eight meters up, he finds the perfect nest, and checks on the approaching air boat.  It's going to be close, he thinks as he begins assembling the rifle, straddling one branch as he works. 

The rifle whole, James quietly moves the mag into the magwell.  Somewhere behind him a bull frog lets out a low croak, and he snaps it into position.  The air boat is still one hundred meters out.  That may be a new personal best, he thinks regarding the sniper rifle.  He's decided to keep all his wireless off, so James is going to have to shoot the old-fashioned way.  He looks down the reticle and frowns.  The angle isn't steep enough.  Sure, he could probably drop the troll, but the dwarf would have ample cover once his shots rang out.  She may even be able to change course, and it's not likely that she'd slow down a second time.  So he waits and focuses on his breathing, lining up his shot, doing everything short of pulling the trigger.  Line up the shot, deep breath in, still your primary internal pump, breathe out halfway, and squeeze.

When they've closed to forty meters, James acts.  The angle is right, a little steep, so he'll need to adjust there, but even without his gear James knows the trajectory of a.338 McDonnell.  Not that he knows the face of his mother.  Or if he has any brothers or sisters.  He puts the red dot just below the trolls sternum and slightly to his left and exhales softly.

Clack! Clack!

Even with the suppressor the rifle's caseless and supersonic ammunition echoes out over the still swamp.  The troll takes a half step back on his left leg, which begins to fold under him.  James can see the look of confusion -- he doesn't know what's happened to him.  His body jerks like a big game animal, all that mass and power poised to save itself, to strike out, to follow its survival instinct even as the damage was already done.  As his knee buckles the realization begins to dawn on his face.  It's a pained look, not sad exactly, or horrified, or resigned, but some combination of the three, and James is back at school, or maybe academy, learning about the .338 McDonnell

"The .338 McDonnell is a caseless variant of the .338 Lapua Magnum, capable of piercing standard body armor at ranges up to 1,000 meters.  The round has a positive drop of seventy-six, point-two centimeters at one hundred meters, and who can tell me what the positive drop is at 200 meters?"

As the instructor drones on, James doodles on his electronic paper, putting the finishing touches on the brush of an Ares logo.  To his right, he heard, "Psst," and turned to see a face very much like his own.  The hair was lighter then, more sandy blond, but the eyes were the same, the skin tone, the way the face smirked back at him as he turned surreptitiously to acknowledge, Who?  Who?

And then he's older, most be full-grown now by the looks of the men around him, and he's in the back of an Ares Venture, the troop door open and a parachute on his back.  A minigun whines up front by the cockpit, and the aircraft tilts violently to the right as an explosion tears at the left rear panel, showering the interior with shrapnel.  And there's that face again, so much like his own, and there's the man's body, in fatigues with an Ares Alpha in his hands, and a corkscrew of plasteel embedded in his thigh, red lights flashing overhead.  The man, Who?  Who? struggles to right himself, and his parachute if flapping from his back, no doubt opened by the shrapnel as well, and there's that same face, not sad, or horrified, or resigned, but that's as close as you'll get, and then the wind catches the parachute, and it deploys, and there's that face, and the drag, and the man being pulled out of the Venture, and a weak grasp for an anchor, and then he was gone, into the black night sky, and the face was the last thing James saw before he dipped from view, and then James rushing after him, jumping into the black himself.

And then James is back in the swamp, the troll's knee fully buckled, his back to James as he pitches forward into the air boat.  The dwarf is gone.  Must have jumped into the swamp as the first rounds struck home, and James adds two more for good measure, watching the troll's body jerk slightly from the impact.  He blinks twice, shakes his head, and waits.  What the frag was that?!The air boat continues its forward course, almost under him now, and he scans for weapons or explosives on deck.  Nothing, not even the troll's LMG.  He turns his wireless on and scans the areas for any icons.  There are none except for a DocWagon beacon, which James also spots on the troll's wrist.  Clever girl.  Good for you, James thinks, assigning all credit for running dark to the dwarf.

James lifts himself up on the branches, activates his hydraulic jacks and leaps onto the surface of the air boat.  Immediately, he drops the Ares Alpha, and takes cover behind the contraband, now splattered with the troll's blood.  His feet slosh around as he notes a few holes in the deck of the air boat.  Yeah, body armor, and then some.  Still, at the present rate, James figures that he has a few minutes.  Better get rid of the troll's body quick.  He doesn't need DocWagon coming by any more than he needs to sink his new ride.  James holds the Desert Strike at the low ready, and cuts the rope tethering the air boat.  She'll need to come up for air sometime.  First he accelerates, putting a little more distance between himself and the dwarf, and then he cuts the engine back on the air boat, waiting for the craft to drift to a stop.

After a few moments, James begins talking from cover, keeping his eyes on the lookout for movement.  "Hoi.  Forgive the assumption, but it appears as though you may be recently unemployed.  Worse than that, you're out here alone, no comms access, no support, no tent.  You know, I barely survived the night out here, and I was able to geek everybody above board.  Everybody but you.  So, maybe you'll do alright after all.  Don't know that I'd want to risk it myself.  I mean, what I saw yesterday made such an impression on me that I was willing to take on the odds of me against all of you just on the chance that I could get a boat and way home out of the deal. 

"So, how about an employment opportunity?  Short term work.  Good pay, and a hot bed at the end of the night.  A hot bed at home, or wherever else you want to go.  Actually, home may not be the best place.  Even if you do make it out of here, you're the only one not bleeding out, right?  Don't think I even scratched you.  Could be hard to explain.  Missing product and all.  So, how about some work then, eh?  I'd like some questions answered, and I'd like a way on my way, wiz?  You're capable, I know that.  Smart too, I bet. 

"Whaddya say, chummer?" 
« Last Edit: <06-08-16/1347:40> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #83 on: <06-09-16/0227:33> »
James finishes his speech and listens. There's a long stretch of silence where he only hears the bullfrogs, the flies, and the gentle glug glug of the airboat taking on water. It's possible that the dwarf is gone, perhaps consumed by whatever lurks in the swamp. Or maybe she has an air tank like James and is not particularly eager to surface, lest James turn her head into a canoe.

The silence presses, and James eventually decides he needs to get on with his life. He uses his spur to snip off the troll's DocWagon band, then flicks it into the water where it descends a meter before some fish swallows the blinking light. Then it's time to process the troll. Patting him down, James finds an armor vest with several prominent holes in it, a Transys Avalon commlink, and troll-sized sunglasses that are pretty high tech. (In addition to flare comp, they look like the type of glasses that will enhance the user's vision.)

James knows he's not strong enough to lift the troll out by himself, so he does it in stages. He throws one of the troll's arms over the side of the boat, then pivots the troll so that he can put the other arm over the edge too. Curiously, the few centimeters of water in the bottom of the boat add just enough buoyancy so that James can accomplish it himself with his redlining cyberlimbs.  Once the troll's arms are over the edge, James manages to pick up the torso just enough to get it hanging over the edge too. He has to work quickly, lest the weight of the troll tip the boat, but he's able to use the edge of the boat as a pivot to lift the troll's legs and flip the whole corpse over the side with a huge splash.

Unencumbered by the troll's weight, the boat lifts up off the water. The holes that were previously acting as an entry point for the swamp now conveniently act as a drain. Within a minute, the swamp water mixed with the troll's blood has drained back into the muddy depths.

James is about to start the airboat to distance himself from trollbro's body - just in case it attracts a hungry predator - when Illeana's voice in his head warns him of something suspicious. Watch your six. He spins around but sees nothing behind him. His eyes sweep the swamp, looking for the dwarf. No, your other six, Illeana says.

"Psst, chummer," the dwarf's voice says in an unnecessary whisper. After spinning around again, James realizes that the voice is coming from underneath him. The dwarf has surfaced under the boat and is now using the cushion of air between the boat and the waterline to speak to James.

"Here's how this is going to work. I still got my Alpha and a full mag of APDS. You do anything to make me sheen, I go full-auto. Maybe I get you, maybe I don't, but you lose the boat and all the product. That's a fact.

"I know when I'm outgunned. I don't know how many you got in your crew but it's more than I got, or had. If I ain't getting out of this then you ain't either. I also got a full mag of HE mini-grenades, wireless on, safeties disabled."
James double-checks that with a quick Matrix perception check. Indeed, there is now a wireless signal running silently that wasn't there before. "You try to shoot me, you better get me first shot or the whole boat is going up underneath your feet. You jump in the water to finish me off, my last thought it to trigger the whole mag. If you ain't up to speed on underwater explosions, they're wizzer.

"Some of what you said is bulldrek; some of it is true. I'm in a pinch and I'm professional enough to know it. Ask your questions and maybe I'll answer them. Play your cards right and maybe we'll both get to go home, or into hiding. Play them wrong and you'll be cartwheeling through the air, on fire until you land in the water and the gators finish you off."

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #84 on: <06-09-16/1118:31> »
James smiles.  This one fails to disappoint.

He leans his Desert Strke against the lip of the pontoon boat, peals back the hood on his chameleon suit and pulls up his ballistic mask before speaking.  "Fair enough.  Like I said, I'm interested in a business arrangement here.  If I just wanted out, I'd be out. . . With the boat.  I think you should come aboard so we can talk about where you think I'm full of bulldrek, and where I'm not."

"I think I'm fine down here," the dwarf replies, trying to keep her ace in the hole.

"Understandable," James answers, "but that works less good for both of us.  Gators can smell blood in the water something fierce, and they're about the least dangerous things in these waters.  I don't want something to nab you, and then we both up dead, or at the very least I've lost my ride.  As for the Alpha, it's a beautiful piece of equipment, but if you're underneath the boat then that barrel is choke full of water, swamp gunk, whatever.  You don't have the clearance to empty it, and even if you got a shot off your action can't load another while submerged.  All the APDS in the CAS isn't going to get you far on that front.  So, that leaves the nuclear option.  If you want to keep it, unhook that three-point sling, and feed it up through this hole.  I'll feed it back through another, and you can tie off, wiz?  Then you can come aboard safely knowing that if I geek you, you get me back twice as dirty.  Copacetic?"
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #85 on: <06-09-16/1251:20> »
There's another long pause, then James hears some scratching and scraping.

"Alright, I'm coming up, but I'm keeping my piece. Stay in the back, by the fan."

There's some splashing, then the dwarf's hand reaches over the front lip of the boat. She pulls herself out of the water with one hand, the other hand keeping the Alpha pointed vaguely in James' direction as she struggles aboard. Sopping wet and looking miserable, she tucks herself in the front of the boat, crouching low to minimize her profile.

"Here's how it is: I got a spare clip of HE tucked underneath the boat. Unless you want to say au revoir to your bourses, you'll keep your hands where I can see them."

She glances around the boat, eyeing the Desert Strike. Her eyes dart out into the swamp, quickly scanning the trees for James' backup.

"I got a biomonitor. If it sees me go down, the boat goes up. I got a good comm. Your hacker better one-shot me because if I see a MARK granted where I didn't ask for none, the boat goes up. I still got a full clip of HE right here, so I can get you from above or below."

She sits back, scowling, waiting for James to ask his questions, or make his offer, or do whatever his crazy hoop is going to do next.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #86 on: <06-09-16/1452:05> »
James obliges the dwarf's request, and moves to the back of the air boat.  It's painful watching her struggle to get on board, but he plants his feet and waits for her to surface.

"Here's how it is: I got a spare clip of HE tucked underneath the boat. Unless you want to say au revoir to your bourses, you'll keep your hands where I can see them."

"That so?  Where did you tuck them?  I had trouble finding a suitable spot when I was underneath the sister ship."  James checks the area again for wireless devices to ascertain the dwarf's truthfulness.

She glances around the boat, eyeing the Desert Strike. Her eyes dart out into the swamp, quickly scanning the trees for James' backup.

"I got a biomonitor. If it sees me go down, the boat goes up. I got a good comm. Your hacker better one-shot me because if I see a MARK granted where I didn't ask for none, the boat goes up. I still got a full clip of HE right here, so I can get you from above or below."

"As hard as this may be to believe given our recent history, I'd like for things to progress along a more amicable path.  And I'm looking to take you on under my employ, short-term as it may be.  Also perhaps also a bit hard to believe, but I'm not accustomed to employee, employer relations where parties are training guns on one another.  So let's pretend its the 20s, and our weapons are a little more figurative.  Would you mind at least lowering the Alpha?  I'm plenty convinced you can sink us, even if I'm not convinced you can end me."

Next James begins peppering the dwarf with questions. 

"What's your name, chummer?  You can call me Ace."

"What is our cargo, and who were the players?"

"Where was it headed?"

"Best case scenario, how would you like to be paid?  I'm prepared to offer the boat, and your safe delivery to civilization.  I figure that nuyen is also good.  Make me an offer."

"So, here's how this is going to go.  We're going to visit a friend of mine, and we can't really show up like this.  I also can't have you knowing where we're going, so I'm going to reach into my dry bag, grab my medical kit, and I'm going to bandage your eyes so you can't see where we're heading.  The HE grenades will remain under your control; I wouldn't dream of separating an employee from her hard-earned property.  And I'm going to have to trust you not to frag me here.  Rest assured I will sacrifice the shipment, the boat, my life, and yours if I think you're going to renege on our deal.

"Once we reach our objective, my friend will hopefully be finished with her own work, and we'll go to shore.  Now, I'm going to step forward, and reach into my dry bag before I invite my other friends on board."
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #87 on: <06-09-16/1549:28> »
"I ain't telling you where they are!" the woman says angrily of the HE grenades. She pushes her rifle forward a few centimeters to deliver the point more forcefully. "They're staying where they are."

James does another sweep and finds icons for the grenade and biomonitor that suggests that the dwarf is telling the truth. While these are obviously a threat, they might also be the key to her comfort and her willingness to talk.

She lowers the Alpha but not much. It's now pointed at James' lap instead of his center of mass.

"You can call me Holly Brighton for all I care!" she says with some venom before softening a bit. "Call me Holly," she says more calmly.

She looks incredulous at James' next question. "What, you don't know who we are or what this is?" she says, gesturing to the packages. "What are you doing, just kicking around a swamp looking for people to murder and things to steal?"

She shakes her head, bewildered, but eventually continues. "The crew on the sub are Sangre y Acero. They're a group dedicated to bringing down Aztechnology and will attack them any time, any place. To pay the bills, they usually smuggle people - especially refugees out of Aztlan - but they've been expanding their people-smuggling operations into other products." She juts her chin at the packages.

"I don't know what it is but it's a white powder from down south. I presume it's from Aztlan because that's where they have most of their smuggling connections but it could be from Amazonia or even the Carib League for all I know.

"We're just mercs on this end, hired to pick up the product and deliver it to the distributor. They'll take it to a warehouse in Nawlins where they'll break it up and sell it to whoever the frag buys whatever the frag it is. All I know is it ain't explosive and doesn't pose a threat if you don't frag with it.

"I don't want the boat and I don't want your nuyen. The boat and nuyen says I got flipped, says I sold out. What I need is a patch of firm ground and as many hours head start as I can get on the distributor, who will come looking.

"In the meantime, I don't care you meet with or who we give a ride to as long as its rapidement. I ain't bandaging my eyes and I ain't paying attention to where you go. You put me on firm land and you're going to be in the rearview mirror as fast as I can huff all 1.4 meters of me."

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #88 on: <06-10-16/1538:53> »
"You can call me Holly Brighton for all I care!" she says with some venom before softening a bit. "Call me Holly," she says more calmly.

"Alright, Holly," James answers is cool, soothing tones.  "You're going to pilot this heap.  I drive, you geek me from behind, and I don't have any nice explosives strapped to the bottom of our ride, wiz?  Set a course for 270 degrees, and go as fast as you feel comfortable.  Time is of the essence after all.  Now, you tell me: my rifle is out of reach at the moment, but if  anybody comes looking, you and I are in the same boat, forgive the pun.  If you want backup, I'm a lot handier with that thing than I am without it, and it doesn't serve me any good to go shooting you anyway.  You mind if I grab it?"

"In other news, what's our cargo, and who were the players?"

She looks incredulous at James' next question. "What, you don't know who we are or what this is?" she says, gesturing to the packages. "What are you doing, just kicking around a swamp looking for people to murder and things to steal?"

"Not murder," James corrects as the dwarf takes the helm and begins moving the boat forward, taking a long starboard turn to the southwest.  "Make war.  War is about resources.  If some chummer steals my girl, and I bash in his head with a trideo set, that's murder.  There's a near limitless number of Rebecca's or Tori's or whatever, and so there's no scarcity.  I'd be acting from a place of ego, or vindictiveness.  I despise murderers."

"You got a funny way of acting for a hoop who does," the dwarf answers, picking up a little speed.

"Not at all.  I knew there were smugglers out here.  I knew they had a very limited, very precious resource, one that would ensure the survival of me and my team.  So I did what the Romans did, what the Americans did after, what the corps do now.  It's not murder, it's survival.  Maybe even self-defense."

The dwarf scoffs at the last point, and shakes her head ruefully. 

"Besides," James adds, "war leaves room for truces, for ceasefires, for thinking with one's head, even through all the brutality of it."

"Politics by other means," the dwarf says.  James can't tell if she's being sarcastic or not, especially without a good look at her face, though she's keeping tabs on him out of the corner of her eye.

"Exactly.  Who said that?"

After she answers, there's long pregnant silence, accentuated by the bobbing of the air boat, before the dwarf continues, filling him in on the Sangre y Acero, and her limited knowledge of what they're carrying.  James places his fist against a plastic-wrapped brick of contraband, extends his cyber spur, and withdraws it immediately, before examining the powder to see if he can identify it.

When James brings up bandaging her eyes, she turns around to face him fully, a look of fear and resilience in her eyes.

"In the meantime, I don't care you meet with or who we give a ride to as long as its rapidement. I ain't bandaging my eyes and I ain't paying attention to where you go. You put me on firm land and you're going to be in the rearview mirror as fast as I can huff all 1.4 meters of me."

James pauses before replying.  On one hand, he can see her position, even thinks that Ohanzee would approve of it.  On the other, the budding relationship between Illeana and the witch could be unnecessarily complicated by this new addition, especially if it appeared as though she could later pose a threat to the swamp lady.  He lets out a low sigh, and rubs his chin.

"I believe you."  He continues with the low, carefully-crafted tone, but tries his hardest not to oversell it.  "Things may be a bit complicated when we pull in, but the bandages stay off.  We should be getting a little close now.  Slow down a bit."

James scans the surroundings, seeing if he can pick out Illeana, or the witch's hut.
« Last Edit: <06-10-16/2237:47> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #89 on: <06-10-16/2043:41> »
An uneasy détente settles in on the boat for the journey, wherein the individual players are no longer actively aiming weapons at each other but they are both still sitting on a powder keg that could go up at any time.

James stabs one of the packages with his cyberspur. The tip of the spur is covered in a fine white powder. James cannot identify it by sight, so the mystery remains for now.

Holly doesn't speak unless spoken to. James can identify an operator who is accustomed to fighting, maybe even leadership, but not negotiation or social small talk. Perhaps James' worldview is so foreign to her that she can't grasp it, and fears antagonizing him by saying something that inadvertently triggers his competition for resources.

James expertly navigates the swamp and has no difficulty in finding his way back to the witch's hut. Illeana is standing out front to greet him.

"Been making friends, huh?" she asks, using her hand to shelter her eyes from the noon-day sun. James wonders if she ever just closes her eyes when it gets too bright, relying on her astral vision instead.

Illeana's air spirit materializes in the same of a fat, round bird that looks rather more like a bowling ball than an aerodynamically efficient flyer. The bird perches on Illeana's shoulder.

"Chui here has been keeping me up-to-date," Illeana says. Her voice doesn't betray any worry over James' escapades. Perhaps she was never worried, or perhaps all is forgiven now that he has returned intact. "Looks like you found us a ride."

James looks around for the other witch. Illeana follows his eyes. "She's inside, taking a siesta. She had a rough morning, you know." Illeana mimes unzipping her chest, mimicking what her sword had done to the woman in astral combat.

Holly tenses, unsure about what the addition of another party means for the current situation and her odds of survival.

<<@James Well she's wound up tighter than the shocks on a Roadmaster. Should I be 'setting her mind at ease' so to speak?>> James knows she's referring to her ability to magically manipulate emotions, or implant post-hypnotic suggestions.