NEWS

SRM build!

• 21 Replies

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #15 on: <08-25-20/0907:12> »
This doesn't sound all that different from how it works now. I forget how 5e worked...
Neither edition gives the defenders a defence test as standard, they only get soak or (at best) interrupt actions (Run For Your Life in 5e, Avoid Incoming in 6e). Avoid Incoming works similarly to what I'm suggesting but can only be used once per turn or not at all if you've already moved (which is a mistake IMO.)
« Last Edit: <08-25-20/1108:12> by FastJack »

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #16 on: <08-25-20/1010:41> »
If you pass the defense test what happens? This feels a bit like Starfinder grenades which are thoroughly underwhelming and still would be slightly broken were it not for the comparative cost of ammo.

You avoid the hit and the damage, just like every other weapon attack in the game. Not familiar with starfinder, so I cannot comment on the comparison, but I promise you people would still get hit with grenades more often than not since Adepts aside the attack pool potential is much higher than the defense test pool potential.

This doesn't sound all that different from how it works now. I forget how 5e worked...
Neither edition gives the defenders a defence test as standard, they only get soak or (at best) interrupt actions (Run For Your Life in 5e, Avoid Incoming in 6e). Avoid Incoming works similarly to what I'm suggesting but can only be used once per turn or not at all if you've already moved (which is a mistake IMO.)

Correct, but the lack of a defense test was more tolerable in SR5 since soak pools existed. In SR6, unless you are playing a Fat Larry build, one grenade kills the vast majority of characters, and two grenades will kill fucking anyone.

1. They cannot miss. At absolute worse, you target Steve, get 0 hits on the attack test, and the explosive scatters 12 meters in whatever direction (it doesn't matter), which still leaves you in the 8m radius of auto damage. On top of that, the mathematical probability of that happening is ludicrously minute.

I'm sorry but I am not sorry, all I can say is that anyone who thinks that is mechanically balanced is not someone I consider to be the slightest bit reasonable in their gaming judgement at all.

2. Yes, you can use an interrupt minor action to potentially get out of some of that radius. I'll even grant you the best case scenario. We target Steve, totally fuck the attack and scatter roll, and that sucker goes 12m wide. He only needs to escape 8m of blast to avoid it. Roll that Reaction + Athletics with the -6 GZ penalty, and you let me know when you get 9 hits to escape it with that formula. Go ahead, I'll wait. Avoid Incoming is laughably ineffective.

And then, to top things off, there is a good chance you are taking 16P right to the face, and a very remote chance you are taking less than 12P. Then the second grenade comes, and you are almost definitely taking 16P.

This collection of mechanics is completely insane to me, but I certainly acknowledge everyone has a right to their own evaluation of it.

Edit: I will add one more personal note too. Not that I have seen anyone in this thread say so, but I have seen others. People that say "but grenade abuse!" really bother me. That sentiment bothers me because why add a mechanic that is intended to be used by players if that mechanic simply existing and being used is abuse? That line of thinking is deeply flawed.
« Last Edit: <08-25-20/1108:19> by FastJack »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #17 on: <08-25-20/1013:19> »
Correct, but the lack of a defense test was more tolerable in SR5 since soak pools existed. In SR6, unless you are playing a Fat Larry build, one grenade kills the vast majority of characters, and two grenades will kill fucking anyone.
Oh don't get me wrong, we are 100% on the same page re: 6e.
« Last Edit: <08-25-20/1108:27> by FastJack »

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #18 on: <08-25-20/1017:47> »
Oh don't get me wrong, we are 100% on the same page re: 6e.

I know, that comment was more general information to consider than for you personally.
« Last Edit: <08-25-20/1108:34> by FastJack »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #19 on: <08-25-20/1105:40> »
Originally when this was reported, I had missed the offensive comments regarding another poster in the original post. When it was reported a second time, I realized what I had missed. Lormyr has been warned on this and the original post has been modified.

Take another swing at posters even in satire, and more warnings and bannings will be enforced.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #20 on: <08-25-20/1157:03> »
Originally when this was reported, I had missed the offensive comments regarding another poster in the original post. When it was reported a second time, I realized what I had missed. Lormyr has been warned on this and the original post has been modified.

Take another swing at posters even in satire, and more warnings and bannings will be enforced.

Yeah, that's legit, so long as you give one to Mikey too. I only run my mouth after he start shit, you know.

P.S, you missed some boss. Double take on that allergy, it was a masterpiece if I do say so myself!
« Last Edit: <08-25-20/1207:28> by Lormyr »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <08-25-20/1816:21> »
If he starts things, report him. I can't read every post in the forums.

Also, attacking him because he attacked you is some third-grade BS. We're all adults here, act like it.

We're locking this thread. The post was done, comments received, nothing else to add.