NEWS

Lormyr is bored and making more nutty Missions legal builds II

• 6 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <08-14-20/1527:16> »
This build is pure murder ninja made to one shot anything, and is pretty much min-maxed to the tilt for that goal at the cost of all other areas. Replace with cyclops once they are legal, which will net you an automatic Edge every time you attack, in addition to the one you will most likely get with that 24 AR.

Unnamed Murder Hobo Ninja

Priorities:
Attributes A (24 points)
Metatype B (Troll, 11 points)
Skills C (20 points)
Magic D (Adept, 1 Magic)
Resources E (8,000Y)

Attributes:
Body 8
Agility 6 (10)
Reaction 5
Strength 9 (13)
Willpower 3
Logic 1
Intuition 5
Charisma 1

Edge 1
Essence 4
Magic 4

Derived Attributes:
Composure: 4
Judge Intentions: 8
Memory: 6
Initiative/Actions: 10 + 1d6/1 Major, 2 Minor
Condition Monitor (P/S): 14/11
Defense Rating: 8
Defense Test: 10
Damage Resistance Test: 8
Movement: 10/15/+1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (6)
Close Combat 7 ( 8 ) (Swords +2)
Perception 3
Stleath 5 (6) (Sneaking +2)

Qualities:
Aptitude (Close Combat), -12 Karma
Built Tough 2, free
Dermal Deposits, free
Exceptional Attribute (Agility), -12 Karma
Exceptional Attribute (Strength), -12 Karma
Mentor Spirit (Thunderbird), -10 Karma
Thermographic Vision, free

Addiction (Jazz) 6, +12 Karma
Stolen Gear, +20 Karma

Adept Powers:
Critical Strike 5 (1 free from Thunderbird)

Ware: (Essence -2, 194,040Y)
Muscle Augmentation 4 (Used; Essence -0.88, 68,200Y)
Muscle Toner 4 (Used; Essence -0.88, 70,400Y)
Reflex Recorder (Athletics) (Alphaware; Essence -0.08, 18,480Y)
Reflex Recorder (Close Combat) (Alphaware; Essence -0.08, 18,480Y)
Reflex Recorder (Stealth) (Alphaware; Essence -0.08, 18,480Y)

Gear: (12,100Y)
Fake SIN, rating 3 (8,250Y)
   Skilled Trade License (Pharmacist, Drugs and Toxins), rating 3 (660Y)
   Weapon Modification License, rating 3 (660Y)
Jazz x20 (1,650Y)
Lifestyle, Low (1 month) (2,200Y)

67Y remaining

Armor:
none (see advancement below)

Weapons: (1,793Y)
Nodachi (1,380.5Y)
   Accesories: Dikote, Nanoconstruction
Krime Stinger Grenade x3 (412.5)

Combat:
Nodachi [19 dice + 1 Wild Die to hit, Blades, DV 10P, 24/-/-/-/-]
3 x Krime Stinger Grenades [DV 16S/12S/8S, Blast 20m, 18/17/12/-/-]

+32 negative Qualities

-46 Positive Qualities
-20 Nuyen
-5 Close Combat Specialization
-5 Stealth Specialization

6 remaining

Build Features:
The main thing to remember at the start of this character's life is that he is frail. Your DR is trash until you get Martial Arts. Your damage resistance will always be minimal, your defense pool will be on the high end of mid tier at best, and spells cast on you will work. On top of that, you come into play down 4 P and 4 S CM. The stun will heal fast enough in the majority of cases to not be an issue, but that P damage could be a real problem if you botch a Stealth roll, get surprised, or get outnumbered.

That said, you sneak like a boss. Tip toe giant ninja. Use that, because it is both your offense and defense. You have absolutely no gear with a matrix signal on you, and you can turn your adept powers off at will until ready to strike to avoid the astral end of things, which pretty much means that in order to be spotted they will need to beat your sneak test of 18 dice. Against one foe, get the drop and murder. Against more than one, wait patiently for the right cluster for a krime stinger.

You should generate Edge every time you attack with that AR rating (1 for sure and probably 2 once a Cyclops), so use that Edge primarily for Wild Die manipulation. When it comes up a 1, spend 1 to re-roll it, and when it comes up 4, spend 2 Edge to make it a 5 for those 3 hits.

Jazz. Always Jazz.

Finally, knockout blow. You hit so hard that you can even knock a great dragon flat out if you land the blow. It is a ludicrously overpowered on the build, but not often necessary because most targets will just die of raw damage, so apply it tactically. You cannot afford that action at 1 Edge, but for an easy cost of 10 Karma it would be available to play with if one wished.

Advancement Path:
A full Missions season (12 SRMs, 8 CMPs, 2 PMs) will net ballpark around 150 karma and 264,000Y, before adjustments for Working for the Man or People. This build has very little money cost, so you'll want to Work for the People as often as possible.

Your first order of Karma spend business is to purchase Jogo Do Pao Martial Arts for 7 Karma, then immediately buy Precision Strikes (Blades) for 5 Karma, both of which you should be able to afford after your first Mission with your 5 carry over Karma. This nets you Threatening Edge technique, which allows you to use the close range AR of your melee weapon (24) for your DR value as well, so this build literally gets away naked. Precision Strikes raises your Nodachi DV by Str/3 (round up), or an additional +5 to DV 15 in our case. With your next 5 Karma, pick up Ballestra, which reduces the cost of the Shank action by 1 Edge, making it free (-2 to hit, +2 DV). Use it all the time.

Following that, you will be sinking 130 Karma into Magic 6, Initiate Grade 6, and all that remains on a Weapon Foci. Sticking to the goal of one shotting anything, my Power Point advice would be Improved Ability (Close Combat) 3 and Critical Strike 10, but a more balanced (and smarter) approach would be to ditch some of that Critical Strike for Combat Sense at 1:2. You should be able to land a rating 4 weapon foci without problems, and may get it as high as 6 or 7 depending upon those ballpark figures since you will be able to Work for the People at least 6 times.

Somewhere in that mix another 5 Karma for Blades Expertise will leave your nodachi attacks at 27 dice + 1 Wild Dice to hit for DV 20P, or go fuck yourself, you are dead. Shank to adjust that to 25 + 1 Wild Dice for DV 22P.

With the cash you won't be using, grab some pajama pants or something to sling Mystic Weave 4 into for an essentially negligible buffer against magic. Also purchase a gas mask or something equivilent to help deal with Toxins.
« Last Edit: <08-14-20/1530:24> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-14-20/1556:23> »
Don't forget about the Heat you get with these Stolen Gear builds ;)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-14-20/1615:03> »
Don't forget about the Heat you get with these Stolen Gear builds ;)

Well Fat Larry (as I would play him anyhow) is super pink mowhawk, so Heat will just be a reality of that character's existence. I might well make a version of him for my GM credit.

The Murder Hobo Ninja is much more black trench coat friendly though, so will likely be fine. This build type is less my style, so unlikely to see play by me.

Good points of consideration for those interested in variations on the builds, though.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-14-20/1731:13> »
Suggested Cheese for your Stolen Gear Adepts is a Rating 2 Qi Foci (unbonded) with Level 2 Pain Resistance.  No wound penalty from the weekly beat down.

Extra Cheese if you can save 4 karma from chargen you could even bond it during the first run.  Only takes 1 hour per level of Foci....

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-14-20/1749:24> »
Suggested Cheese for your Stolen Gear Adepts is a Rating 2 Qi Foci (unbonded) with Level 2 Pain Resistance.  No wound penalty from the weekly beat down.

Extra Cheese if you can save 4 karma from chargen you could even bond it during the first run.  Only takes 1 hour per level of Foci....

Yeah, I had considered that, but left them off since I was trying to stay foci light. That said, that would certainly be the proper min-max move to include. All the damage but none of the pain, baby!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-14-20/2112:47> »
I've seen many characters with less depth.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-15-20/0612:23> »
I've seen many characters with less depth.

Lol Shinobi. That is kind of sad, considering this template is all build with zero fluff. It's not the sort of character I am likely to play, so I didn't bother expending time on personality. I threw it out there mostly for theory crafting and as a template for those that enjoy the alpha strike but frail playstyle.