NEWS

Halloween Style Badies

• 12 Replies

Kato

• Newb
« on: <10-06-19/0733:45> »
I've got a handful of baddies to include in the "haunted island", mainly ghouls (instead of zombies), banshees, and harvesters for the creatures that chase them through the woods and town. Big, bad cyber zombie is built and will be a fight in an of itself. Just curious if anyone had any baddies they thought would go well in a Halloween style horror run. The run is going to be sort of kitschy in an "He's obviously doing a Halloween style run" way, so if the baddies are cliche it's all good. Doesn't have to be 5e or 6e. Thanks!   

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-06-19/1640:56> »
This topic comes up every year about this time. If you dig back, I'm sure you'll find the same thread for 2018, 2017, etc.

Ghouls are the most popular, especially since feral ghouls are expendable bad guys that you can feel good about wasting. Unless you're one of those ghoul-rights activists.

Halloweeners (the gangers) are the next most popular adversary, especially if they have a hellhound or two. Fire-based opponents can be highly intimidating. Add a fire spirit or three and you're in business.

Kato

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-06-19/1747:42> »
Sweet! Anyone have any stats on cyber turkeys? Prepping for Thanksgiving too  ;D

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-06-19/2107:58> »
Barghests - they have paralyzing howl and fear critter powers and Its eyes shine red and its teeth glow slightly in the dark because of luminescent bacteria in its saliva - how fraggin' awesome is that.  :D They often have handlers, so would be a good chase through the forest. My group of four found them fairly tough when I ambushed them.

Free spirits of any type - or go toxic if you want to be mean. They can look like whatever theme you want and have a variety of powers - nice and flexible. =)

A vampire running the show, could also provide plot hooks for the future.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-06-19/2136:09> »
Shedim - though that's a whole other run in the making.... ;)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <10-07-19/0448:49> »
I should comment that 1 Barghest once sent an entire group of SR5 sample chars packing at my table. They ended up bribing it. Couldn't hit it, one got Feared, paralyzing happened, it was a nightmare.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-07-19/0543:41> »
There's nothing more Halloween-y than a pack of doped-up Halloweeners out for a purge...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-07-19/1429:40> »
I should comment that 1 Barghest once sent an entire group of SR5 sample chars packing at my table. They ended up bribing it. Couldn't hit it, one got Feared, paralyzing happened, it was a nightmare.
I know! It's not that they're OP per se, their combination of powers are just great at crowd control. I had to have an NPC step in and 'deal' with the handler. Not ideal, but it would have been a TPK! :o
Imagine if they had a paralyzing bite since they have the crazy glowing bacterial mouths....hmmm....genetically modfied Barghest <scribble, scribble>...paralyzing bite...<looks up. Closes notebook and slowly slides offscreen><maniacal laughter stage right>  ;D

[edit]
Seriously though, they are tough in certain situations! ;)
« Last Edit: <10-07-19/1431:37> by cantrip »

Kato

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-07-19/2156:20> »
I decided to throw caution to the wind and make my own monsters. I wanted Silent Hill style monsters so I have created the following members of the Harrowing, which is a cult trying to bring the Horrors back into the world. I'm going to make the Horrors a reoccurring theme, since I find the concept interesting and it seems like an easy go-to for when I have no other ideas. The PC's are heading to Rathlin Island in Ireland (which has a very interesting history IRL, FYI) and when they are heading there they are phased into a sort of in between for the Seelie Court and the PC's metaplane. Rathlin Island serves as one of the doorways between realms, but the Harrowing has seized control of it just as the PC's land on the island, and they have to find a way out through by solving a series of Resident Evil style puzzles while fighting horror baddies. So, here is what I came up with for main bad guys in addition to the usual ghouls, goblins and such.

Corkscrew: mysterious main bad guy and hopefully reoccurring baddie. He's about 8 feet tall, wire thin, and has a severely twisted back and limbs. He typically dresses in Victorian Era style with a black overcoat and top hat, plus a demon head cane. I haven't decided on his powers or abilities yet, I'm trying to flesh him out in my mind, but I like the concept.

Stitchface: main bad guy the PC's will face. He is a hunter, about 9 feet tall with tree trunk arms and a big gut. He hunts with a bow and machete and, instead of dogs, uses a pack of child-like ghouls to flush out prey. He is called Stitchface because it look like his face was hacked in half and stitched back together with baling twine.

Thumper: basic brute of the lot. Looks sort of like a troll but if a troll was bred with a silver back gorilla. One arm is extremely malformed and looks like a giant club, making a thump on the ground whenever it lands, hence the name Thumper. Has the Hardened Armor critter power.

Sorry if it's long winded, I just like to feedback before throwing the PC's to the wolves.   

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <10-08-19/0039:18> »
Interestingly enough the Streetpedia already mentions a few types of lesser Terrors. I'm guessing/hoping 30 Nights will have a few statblocks on them.

Anyway, Crawlers (hover-monsters, tentacles, consume victims alive), m'flesit (packs, feed on fear, mixture of rats and black widows, bites trigger allergic responses), Toad terrors (balls of goo, ooze tar-like substance, 7m long tongue).

Kato

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-08-19/0705:37> »
I like the crawlers idea. Can have it eating some hapless villager.

Dropship

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <11-03-19/0610:17> »
Flip the script. Let the PCs be the monsters.

I ran a Halloween one shot last year, each player was given a HMHVV variant. From memory it was a Harvester, Grendel, Dzoo-noo-qua, Gnawer and a Ghoul with magic.

Plot excuse was exactly that, an excuse. Their Vampire leader heard about a Halloween night rave taking place at the Seattle zoo and requested that they return with enough abductees to keep them all feed for a time.

Fluked the entry with the ghoul fast talking their appearance as costumes, picked off a few entrees. Got busted and decided that chaos was a better option. Slaughtered their way across a food hall, unlocked several large animal enclosures with the Grendel using animal control to stampede them. Grabbed a couple more snacks and butchered a bunch of zoo security on their way out.

Fun time was had, abilities not normally had by players were used, and they got to see how nasty HMHVV could make a single person.

The session ended with the infected leading their captives back to their compound under Seattle, descriptions of the various victims....and a jump cut to the PC's.

The Street Sam's comm was ringing. Why is his sister calling? She's supposed to be a rave tonight at the zoo....

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <11-03-19/0638:34> »
I ran a Halloween scenario yesterday where the Johnson wanted the players to pick up 3 packages and deliver them to their destinations, each crate would tell them electronically where to bring it, and once in place would tell them what to do with it (what kind of trick to pull). They had to pick up the crates at a Halloweeners base, where it was being safekept.

The Halloweeners turned out to be pissed, they had tried to open the first crate and it had set off a fire damaging several vehicles. When the players convinced the 'Weenies they weren't involved in that (and helped repair the damaged vehicles), they received the packages and the first crate went 'destination: Here, trick: Blow up'. Whups.

Second crate contained toilet-paper, to tp a hedged-in house. Complication was the three Barghests in the garden. Levitate came to the rescue there.

Third crate the team realised the neighbourhood was weird, and they had already checked the biometrics and figured out there was a cooler with fresh meat inside the crate. They kidnapped a random hobo (while disguised as pumpkin-head and ghoul, hey, it's Halloween) and it turned out there was a big Feral Ghoul nest at their destination. They shot out the window, levitated the crate inside, and while speeding away saw Ghouls come out both inside their destination and around it. Turned out the third Trick was meant to be on the team, getting them killed...

Then they traced and kidnapped the Johnson, forced him to give them a lot of money, then 'released' him straight into Halloweener hands, after telling them the Johnson had MEANT to damage their base.