NEWS

[5e] Is this a good idea or a dumb one? (Utility Pistol)

• 11 Replies

Tassyr

• Chummer
« on: <09-01-17/0104:29> »
I've been making a Sam (In 5e) with a focus on assault weapons and pistols. Naturally that means he's got an Ares Predator slung on one hip for his pistol and an assault rifle I've built from the ground up for his main. But I've been toying with an odd idea.

There's a LOT of crazy ammo. Injection rounds and Capsule rounds, stuffed with all kinds of fun toys. Stick-n-Shock. Tracker rounds (Security and Stealth.) Flare rounds. Would it be a good idea or a dumb one to find a decently accurate, small-clip pistol that can be loaded with all kinds of 'toy' rounds? Say, a few small clips of all these specialty items so yanking it off his gear, snapping the clip in and firing a tracker, or a stick-n-shock, or chemical round as needed with a sort of 'adapt-on-the-fly' toy?

Or is that dumb?
« Last Edit: <09-01-17/0122:37> by Tassyr »
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #1 on: <09-01-17/0209:03> »
Not at all.  I'd use a Light, in part since chem rounds automatically have LP range at max (i.e. they get knocked down to it if they have more).  It could also be useful to have a revolver pre-loaded with one shot each of your preferred rounds; spin to the correct chamber, and take the shot.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-01-17/0214:32> »
It could also be useful to have a revolver pre-loaded with one shot each of your preferred rounds; spin to the correct chamber, and take the shot.

Now that's damn clever. A shame I spec'd into Semi-Autos, but considering I'm swinging a solid 12 on pistols, it should be handy. Would you still recommend a light pistol in a revolver?
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-01-17/0314:42> »
For capsule rounds the hold out pistol is viable, for almost everything else don't go below light pistol as the DV drop off is just too painful.

The Predator - by the way - is inferior to the Savalette Guardian and it's burst fire mode.
Specing into Heavy Pistols is usually more beneficial than specing into semi-autos.
Ammo Select on a Ruger Super Warhawk with hand crafted Ammo for more DV is usually the way to go.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-01-17/0335:14> »
Specing into Heavy Pistols is usually more beneficial than specing into semi-autos.
Well that's an odd situation, because I tapped open Chummer5a and it says that there is no spec. into Heavy Pistols- unless it's a custom? Which I'm fine flying with. Had I thought of that option yeah- I'd've dropped on that instantly.

Ammo Select on a Ruger Super Warhawk with hand crafted Ammo for more DV is usually the way to go.
About the Ruger- I admit I don't know jack all about the Hand Crafted ammo- what book is the rule for that one in? [edit] And where the heck is the "Ammo Select" modification? I can't find that sucker anywhere!
« Last Edit: <09-01-17/0407:57> by Tassyr »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-01-17/0414:03> »
Ah, yes, sorry. You can find both options in the Hard Targets book. (It has some very good options for weapon customization)
And yes, Chummer only has suggestions for specializations, but there are a lot more options - especially if you are creative  ;)
talk think matrix

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-01-17/0422:38> »
Ah, yes, sorry. You can find both options in the Hard Targets book. (It has some very good options for weapon customization)
And yes, Chummer only has suggestions for specializations, but there are a lot more options - especially if you are creative  ;)

Welp, that's annoying. Chummer refuses to let me slap an ammo skip system on, 'cause the Ruger doesn't have an 'under' slot.  >:(

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-01-17/0432:30> »
Yeah, that's a problem. The text says explicitly that it works for revolvers (and did so in previous editions).
Still, even without that tech, it's only a simple action to move the chamber by hand into the correct position.
talk think matrix

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-01-17/0436:14> »
Oh aye, I know it's not THAT painful to do it by hand. Still annoys is all.

(and yes, for anyone wanting to know, I was entirely inspired by a moment in GitS where Togusa whips out his revolver, slaps in a 'tracker' round, and then plinks some twerp's bumper as they're driving away. That image just stuck with me.)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <09-01-17/1803:14> »
Keep in mind too that while Chummer is a great tool, it has flaws.

Chummer5isalive is working hard to fix as many bugs as he can, but he's only one guy....

(Keep in mind, I use and love cummer too!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

adzling

« Reply #10 on: <09-08-17/1920:32> »
yeah ammo skip on a revolver is the way to go for utility rounds imho.

kinda turns your pistol into Judge Dread's Lawgiver.

You could do the same thing without the ammo skip system if you're and adept and can take Nimble Fingers (free action to cycle that cylinder to the right round).

Also keep in mind there are some interesting revolvers including the lemat that combines a single shot shotgun with a revolver.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <09-08-17/1927:38> »
Heh, I found the LeMat after poking around in the files and definitely took it. Sure, the flechette-only shotgun core isn't that hot against armor, but it'd make a beautiful backup weapon in just about any other situation...