NEWS

[SR5] [Decker] Anomalous

• 30 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <11-11-15/1148:59> »
Hmm...there's a thought. Selling the recordings made during daylight hours and keeping recorded runs in a personal archive--never know when you'll need blackmail material to use on someone.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <11-11-15/1246:35> »
Non-rhetorical question: why do you think fighting IC is worth spending a specialty on? Why do you think fighting IC is ever worth it?
Playability > verisimilitude.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <11-11-15/1252:04> »
Kincaid made a good point about it probably being the best choice of specialty for that skill, and I agreed since it does seem that it would help take the things down quicker.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <11-11-15/1300:18> »
I still don't get why. I've always seen fighting IC as a waste of time, since destroying one doesn't actually do anything - a new iteration will just get activated. If you get caught, run and try again.

I like Cybercombat specced vs Devices, it gives you more dice to brick a gun or whatnot. Just personal preference.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-11-15/1307:50> »
Well, the reason I think it's a good idea is to be well-prepared for that flubbed roll to get in without being noticed since the IC will still be there waiting in ambush when you try to get back in. Set up to get in quietly, but be ready to blast the system security when needed.

As to the device specialization, I disagree with the entirety of it being possible to assault someone's implants or weapons in meat combat. Deckers are hackers, not meat combatants. For this reason, on top of the fact that I don't want those shenanigans used on my characters, I pretend the possibility doesn't exist.

What little Pistols skill I have is what is there for those occasions when I need to engage in combat.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <11-11-15/1358:31> »
The reason I generally go for IC is because its stats key off of Host Rating, which is generally pretty high.  A spider's stats are roughly comparable to the decker's (probably a little lower) and device stats (say, Willpower + Firewall rolls) are typically pretty low.  If you're bricking guns, you've probably had a few pre-combat rounds to mark things, making your shots essentially auto-kills.  If you didn't get the pre-combat prep time, you probably have better things to do than brick guns.  While IC can respawn, it doesn't happen instantly.  Given how fast a decker moves in hot-sim, this can mean the difference of a few IPs to crack and copy a file.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <11-11-15/1430:33> »
You probably already know this, but I'll just say it anyways. If you're using Points Buy and buying all the skills in a group, definitely buy the group up instead of individually. So your 3, 5, and 6 would cost 84 Karma individually, or 78 Karma if you bought the group up to 3, then broke it from there. You probably already did this, but wanted to mention it just in case. That'd give you an extra 12 Karma to mess around with. Another option if you didn't do it this way would be to buy the groups to 4 and still save 4 Karma total left over.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <11-11-15/1433:43> »
I did do that at first, but I switched away from it for the specializations Kincaid brought up, and because some of the skills that are in groups ended up with differing ratings.

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <11-11-15/1500:16> »
I did do that at first, but I switched away from it for the specializations Kincaid brought up, and because some of the skills that are in groups ended up with differing ratings.

You still get to buy the specializations and the different ratings. You just save Karma getting the whole group to the lowest rating of the three, then you buy the others individually from there.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <11-11-15/1505:55> »
You still get to buy the specializations and the different ratings. You just save Karma getting the whole group to the lowest rating of the three, then you buy the others individually from there.

Building with Hero Lab, I had to choose between the specializations and buying the groups because the builder doesn't appear to support buying a group and then breaking it later during generation. I ended up choosing the former.

Danny Montanny

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <11-11-15/1514:30> »
So then just count yourself as having 12 more Karma to spend, or get Electronic Warfare and Hardware to 4 and have 4 left over. Just because a  program doesn't support it, doesn't mean it's not supported and the way the rules work.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <11-11-15/1543:02> »
Yeah, it's fair to say that in-combat hacking isn't viable due to the mark requirements to do anything truly useful. In my game the decker has just had fun ejecting clips right as an ambush starts, or to make a point in a confrontation.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <11-11-15/1545:20> »
Now ejecting clips is something I can get behind. Technically only a mild nuisance, but it isn't something that strays into the realm of doing something you don't want done to you, and it's kinda funny.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <11-14-15/2115:24> »
Garbage in/Garbage out - remap trigger pull to "safety on".  No shooting for you. 

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <11-14-15/2120:59> »
Garbage in/Garbage out - remap trigger pull to "safety on".  No shooting for you.

Exactly.  One of the ideas behind GIGO was to give deckers a way of locking a gun that can't be solved by spending a Simple Action to reload.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.