NEWS

Pre-Published Adventures - Any Advice?

• 22 Replies

AceFace

« on: <08-14-12/0631:13> »
Hello lovely friendly endlessly helpful forumites.

As it seems unlikely that any of my current group are likely to start running SR anytime soon, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and running myself if there's enough interest. Due to RL commitments, I don't really have the time to prepare that I'd like however, so I'm thinking of using pre-published adventures/campaigns. I'd be looking to run in around 2070 and I know there are a few options available to me, so I thought I'd check what the opinion of the people on the boards was before forking out my hard earned cred.

I know there are a number of official adventure books available (most seeming to be around the goings on with Horizon or around the Artifacts race), but how have people found these products? Are they well laid out and easy to use for a very busy GM? Which ones have people found most fun/interesting? Will they work okay for relative new-comers (both in terms of karma and RL experience)? What's with the "Campaign Books" - do they contain adventures, or just background info for the adventure books?

I've also seen the Missions PDFs, which sound like a real possibility for me (I'm keen on running in Seattle and if they're designed to fit in a roughly four hour slot, that sounds ideal), but what's the opinion on these? Is either one of the broad story arcs better in people's opinions? Again how easy are they to use and what's the opinion on appropriate level of players/characters?

Anyway, sorry to ask so many questions - I'm not expecting anyone to answer all of that , but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <08-14-12/1038:14> »
The Campaign Books more have "Adventure Hooks" than outright adventures.

The Missions are outright Adventures on their own.  I highly suggest Burn, as it gets very little love.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Eugene

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-14-12/1048:46> »
Your best bet is Missions, honestly.  They're inexpensive, self-contained, with all the stats ready to go.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <08-14-12/1323:03> »
Start your group off with Missions. If they like it, then maybe you can slide into one of the campaigns.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

AceFace

« Reply #4 on: <08-14-12/1611:33> »
So, much love for Missions - will definitely take a look. For those that have used them, do the two current story arcs work well intertwined, or is it best to choose one or the other? Does anyone have an opinion on which arc they like best?

Also, I'd still appreciate any opinions on the other adventure books, as I may well run out of Missions... if I manage to get this thing off the ground  ;)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #5 on: <08-14-12/1643:26> »
The 2nd season is free and although it tends to assume the trigger happy solutions.  It is a good introduction to the game and is free.
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #6 on: <08-14-12/1650:39> »
Not sure which product has it reprinted, but if you can find the module "Food Fight" That is a Traditional Campaign starter. Super fun for both GM and PCs.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

AceFace

« Reply #7 on: <08-14-12/1732:36> »
I do have Food Fight 4.0 actually, though I cannot remember what it came with. Was it the original GM screen or something?

In terms of Missions, I was thinking of starting at season 4 because I'll be playing SR4A and I'd like to play in Seattle (there'll be people who've never really played before and Seattle is the classic setting - also, LOTS of source material, which is ideal for me and my lack of time to make too much stuff up). Is the level alright for relative newbs?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #8 on: <08-14-12/1951:54> »
We tend to lowball the difficulty on Missions adventures, so yes.  We aim a a little low (so that, for instance, the core book's archetype characters can probably do okay in them), but include suggestions for how to ramp up the difficulty for individual encounters (for higher-powered games, more experienced gamers, etc).

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-14-12/2039:37> »
Still hurts my head to think of the core archetypes as wimps. I've been spoiled by low point games, I think.

(400 BP?! We're not making monsters here! 320's plenty!)

Weirdness/

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #10 on: <08-14-12/2045:27> »
I swear, Wak, sometimes you talk like you forget characters get better;)  When you're scoring 8-9 karma a game, even those "320 bp" guys are gonna get more dangerous after a while, y'know?  A season of Missions is easily 100 karma (and who knows what kind of nuyen and other goodies)...

We gotta keep options open, to try and keep challenging folks whether it's their first Mission, or their twentieth, is all. 

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #11 on: <08-14-12/2106:12> »
I am a big fan of 99 Bottles (of Yakuza). I'm adapting into my current game and it's going well. If your group is slow on the draw or you like to add in a lot of personalized side stuff you might want to toy with the timeline mechanic (it is definitely an 'on the clock' adventure). You can avoid most of the combat and the big show down at the end is well and truly optional and still counts 'as a win.'

Money options are nice and fair and you can earn quite a few contacts too.

And it's in Bangkok, which is such a beautiful city to picture in the Shadowrun universe.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #12 on: <08-16-12/1335:11> »
Food Fight 4.0 is in the Quick-Start Rules, IIRC.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-16-12/1416:52> »
I swear, Wak, sometimes you talk like you forget characters get better;)  When you're scoring 8-9 karma a game, even those "320 bp" guys are gonna get more dangerous after a while, y'know?  A season of Missions is easily 100 karma (and who knows what kind of nuyen and other goodies)...

We gotta keep options open, to try and keep challenging folks whether it's their first Mission, or their twentieth, is all.

I know, I know, they do, but I suck at running high-level games. I grew up on old school D&D, where double-digit levels meant it was time to retire and get a castle, not move into your next prestiege class. I accept that the world has changed, but, let an old man sniffle, dangit. :)

(Of course, I think our normal karma awards are also about half that, so 4-5 a game. Long, slow, get-to-know-someone campaigns. Then again, the five-year campaign arc style isn't exactly around anymore, so.)

I'll leave the high-level missions to other people. I know my role, and that ain't it. :)

AceFace

« Reply #14 on: <08-16-12/1446:35> »
Thanks for all the input everybody. Definitely going to look into Season 4 of Missions and based on reviews on Drive Thru RPG, might consider the Horizon adventures too - the second one where you're tasked with destroying a pop-star's reputation sounds like exactly the kind of thing that will set off moral arguments and roleplay fun with the people I play with.

You guys are ace!