Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

[6E]Direct indirect connection

(1/3) > >>

Odsh:
Can you use an intermediary to perform a direct connection to a device?
For example, someone else than then hacker does the direct connection, and then the hacker accesses the device remotely through his ally's commlink?
If for some reason this doesn't work wirelessly, how long can the direct connect cable be? Can for example a small drone drag and unwind a wire extension from the hacker's deck to the device he wishes to establish the direct connection to?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
That's exactly what a data tap is for.  It's directly connected, and you're connected via wireless to your datatap, thereby gaining the direct connection it has.

If an ally has a data cable directly connected from one of their devices to the device you ultimately want to hack, it's mechanically the same situation as a data tap.  Assuming they've given you permission to use their device, otherwise you'd have to hack that first.

Xenon:
From 6WE Matrix FAQ
How do I direct connect?

* Physically connect to a device with a cable (your cyberdeck, cyberjack, datajack, and control rig all come equipped with a retractable fiber optic cable) or data tap
* Use the technomancer echo Skinlink
* Optional rule: wireless direct connection. If you are within 10 meters of the device, can detect the device (see matrix perception), and the device is wireless enabled you can form a “wireless direct connection”.

Michael Chandra:
Note to self: Do not use that optional rule. I want a team to struggle to reach a high-positioned camera, or have a spydrone insert the data-tap.

Finstersang:

--- Quote from: Michael Chandra on ---Note to self: Do not use that optional rule. I want a team to struggle to reach a high-positioned camera, or have a spydrone insert the data-tap.

--- End quote ---

You can have both. If the Camera is wireless-off and connected by cable, the "wireless direct connection" houserule obviously wouldn´t apply.

Or rather: Shouldn´t by conventional non-supernatural logic. Because I could see an Upgrade to the Skinlink Echo or a Complex Form for Technomancers that enables this as well  8)

(Side Note: This "10m wireless direct connection" idea is often not just thrown around for hacking purposes, but for device composition and ranges of PANs. Since the new "improved" rules for master-slaves-connections officially limits the number of slaves to the Data Processing Attribute of the master device, it has become practically impossible to set up a proper PAN with a commlink AS LONG as you assume that the slave limit is also the limit for stuff in you PAN in general - even with the best Commlink, you could at best set up a Firewall of 3 for 1 device or Firewall 1 for 3. This leaves so many gaps that even proper Hackers and/or riggers have trouble securing the team. Because of this, it is instead often assumed (i.e. houseruled) that the slave limit is only for remote stuff and that there is a radius around your commlink where it doesnt matter how much wireless gizmos you put in there.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version