NEWS

Fave Heavy Weapon?

• 41 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #30 on: <03-16-19/1706:40> »
...but they can be easily "dodged" if the oppos have at least 5 initiative left with a "run for your life" interrupt action.  Best time to lob one at them is near the end of the combat turn.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #31 on: <03-17-19/2037:46> »
...but they can be easily "dodged" if the oppos have at least 5 initiative left with a "run for your life" interrupt action.  Best time to lob one at them is near the end of the combat turn.
That's when you mod a grenade launcher to be belt-fed and FA, and kindly tell the GM that you're using Suppressive Fire rules with the launcher.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #32 on: <03-18-19/0007:41> »
Would that be improved suppression, Flechette suppression or what?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-18-19/1556:42> »
Would that be improved suppression, Flechette suppression or what?
Who knows? Either way, that hallway would never be the same again!

My Characters

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #34 on: <03-20-19/0416:34> »
That's when you mod a grenade launcher to be belt-fed and FA, and kindly tell the GM that you're using Suppressive Fire rules with the launcher.
..well Leela considered doing that as a one shot jury rig to lay down a spread of 12 grenades from an MPGL 12 Would have toasted the weapon though, and there was an outside risk of it simply blowing up.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #35 on: <03-20-19/0832:49> »
Also, this is when Frag Grenades are better than HE: Higher spread. At a distance of 12m you still have 6P/+5 left, so that means with 3 grenades 12P/+3. If they already walked, they might be out of movement range before they exit the blast-range.

(When in Dragon Song an enemy threw a time-based grenade at me, I just walked past it while blasting the guy with my Crockett.)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <03-20-19/1904:26> »

So worst case I dropped your initiative by 5 and got you out of cover. And depending on the grenade it might not make a bit of difference.  I prefer gas grenades and flashbangs.  Not as devastating but they don't get weaker due to range from the center point of the explosion and not killing everyone has advantages. The versatility of the payload is one of the big value adds from grenades.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #37 on: <03-28-19/0159:17> »
...this is why I'd love to lay down a spread of 6 - 10 grenades.

Agreed, flashbangs are so useful, anything that reduces the Oppos chance to shoot your team is a good thing.  Leela has several concealed in softballs and plush toys.

Ultralube grenades can be fun as well (and Ultralube, as we discovered in one mission, is flammable so if someone on the team has a flame thrower....).

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <04-16-19/2246:16> »
Give me the Thunderstruck.
Headshots are fun.
This.
Involuntary acupuncture.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #39 on: <06-04-19/2330:32> »
I am in the Thunderstruck camp as well. Because frag that guy, and the three guys behind him... and the security door behind them.

I also like Ajax's idea for the devine crowbars, but I wonder if the smaller projectiles would lose too much mass on the descent through the atmosphere to be as effective as he thinks.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <06-10-19/1317:34> »
I also like Ajax's idea for the devine crowbars, but I wonder if the smaller projectiles would lose too much mass on the descent through the atmosphere to be as effective as he thinks.
The problem is twofold. First, you're going to lose mass due to friction from reentry. That's unavoidable, but something you can plan for. The real problem is accuracy. When you're dropping something from orbit, a variance of 0.001% is still missing the target point by over 2 miles! (Geosynchronous orbit is 22236 miles or so up.) This isn't a problem with Loki (where you say fuck this neighborhood and everyone in it) or his big brother Thor (where you say fuck this entire zip code and everyone around it), but for most situations it is... suboptimal. Which is why you only see the rods from god dropped on static targets, for the most part, because otherwise you have to rely on being close enough to get them in the AoE.

Going with orbital weapons used tactically, I'd say that, rather than the rods from god, you'd do better with orbital lasers or the like. You lose some energy to attenuation, but it causes far less collateral damage than kinetics. You could also do what is essentially a heat ray, hyperfocusing sunlight using orbital collectors to, essentially do the 'kid with a magnifying glass' trick. Because it is a DoT effect rather than instant, it would be a lot less problematic if you needed to adjust the coordinates. Plus, the fires it would cause would be secondary methods of corralling an enemy into a kill zone.

My Characters

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #41 on: <07-27-19/1437:22> »
a variance of 0.001% is still missing the target point by over 2 miles!

True, but you would hope the people smart enough to build a space station, and an orbital strike launcher, would be able to make a payload shell for their rods from god. Kind of like an atmospheric sabot that gets the tungsten core up to speed with the extra mass, but once the shell breaks away the core would have an internal guidance system.

Or you do what the US Navy is trying to do IRL, and load up a cluster munition that breaks apart into dozens of smaller spikes a before impact to blanket a wide area (i.e. motor pools or airstrips) in giant spikes.