NEWS

[SR5} Called Shot Sniper

• 9 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <04-17-14/0335:21> »
I wanted to make a combat character that had no cyberware/bioware/magic..

The next game I'm GMing, the players are going to be Ambushed by a team of Shadowrunners. This will be our 2nd time with 5th Edition. I wanted the players to get used to the 5th edition combat rules and I was going to have a Sniper, but I was afraid someone might get really unlucky and die. So I made this Character as part of the opposing Team,  He only uses Called shots to disable his foes, following the Assassin's Creed, he will only kill the target he was paid to kill. I was starting to have a little fun with this character and I was wondering if I could build decent character without using any Ware or Magic.

He uses a Smart Firing Platform loaded with Gel rounds as a distraction and for Suppressive fire. I wanted to make a character that could also hold his own in Unarmed Combat (One player is a Unarmed Combatant Troll Adept), so using the new Run & Gun rules, I gave him Aikido, with Counterstrike, which I had a question about.

Can you make a Counterstrike Touch Attack with Shock gloves? I'm pretty sure you can, which would give character 17 dice on a defense test if he uses Counterstrike.

Any thoughts or Suggestions?

Thanks
« Last Edit: <04-17-14/1130:56> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-17-14/1139:49> »
Can you use Shock Gloves with Counterstrike Technique? (Giving you bonus +2 dice, because you only need to do Touch Attack)

SHIN
The shin bone’s connected to the … nothing if you put
a bullet through it. Shooting the shin slows a foe and
usually puts them square on their hoop. And kicking
someone in the shin is just plain mean.
• Modifier: –6
• DV Limit: 2
• Effects: Knockdown (target must make a
Strength + Agility (DV+3) Test or fall prone),
Slowed (target’s Movement, both Walk and Run
rate, is halved and no Sprint Tests are allowed),
Winded (target is unable to perform Complex
Actions for a number of Combat Turns equal to
the original DV of the attack)

-does that mean character wouldn't be able to perform a Complex Action for 12 Combat Turns if they get hit with this called shot from the Remington 950 (12P Damage)?. Even if it's only DV 2, that's pretty harsh penalty, not being able to perform Any Complex Actions for 2 whole Combat Turns. I would probably house rule that character must make Body + Willpower test to perform a Complex Action.

Smart firing platform: This is a non-mobile robotic
tripod equipped with a remote control pivot that allows
for a 180-degree firing arc and a 60-degree inclination.
You can mount one smartgun-equipped weapon to the
platform, and it will be fired by the device’s onboard Pilot
(Device Rating 3). The platform is equipped with a
Targeting Autosoft (Rating 3) and can be upgraded with
additional autosofts, usually a Clearsight program. You
need to set the parameters of who exactly the platform
should and shouldn’t shoot at, which are followed by the
platform’s pilot (Pilot Programs, p. 269). The platform
provides 5 points of Recoil Compensation. It has an Initiative
attribute of Pilot x 2 and 4D6 Initiative Dice when
acting autonomously (see Drone Initiative, p. 270).

Does the Smart Firing Platform get +2 dice pool for Smartlink?
Does Smart Firing Platform get the Smartlink Bonus to wind conditions?
I would think it would just get the Wind Condition bonus.
« Last Edit: <04-17-14/1156:11> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

martinchaen

« Reply #2 on: <04-17-14/1145:19> »
Winded is a ridiculously overpowered effect if you ask me. It clearly says original DV (but it's unclear as to what it refers to; base weapon DV, modified DV, DV after armor resist?), and I would personally much rather see the DV Limit as the limit of winded.

No one can convince me that a shot to the frakkin' SHIN is going to make me unable to fire my rifle at full auto for over half a minute; it'd hurt, but not THAT much...

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-17-14/1154:12> »
Winded is a ridiculously overpowered effect if you ask me. It clearly says original DV (but it's unclear as to what it refers to; base weapon DV, modified DV, DV after armor resist?), and I would personally much rather see the DV Limit as the limit of winded.

No one can convince me that a shot to the frakkin' SHIN is going to make me unable to fire my rifle at full auto for over half a minute; it'd hurt, but not THAT much...

Yeah, I agree with you. What do you think of Character?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #4 on: <04-17-14/1155:38> »
It's pretty much a called shot on any part of the lower extremity. I'm not sure how that would impact your ability to, for instance, regularly cast a spell anymore than a called shot to the neck or something.

I think the DV limit would be more appropriate. My gut is that "original DV" is probably supposed to mean the DV that would have been applied before the Called Shot cap, but there's nothing to suggest which way in any event. Uniformity in terms would be an amazing design decision in the future...
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Cronstintein

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <04-17-14/1306:27> »
My gut says "original DV" would be before applying the DV limit.  The powergamer in me sees the abuse potential and thinks applying the 2DV limit would be better for gameplay.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-17-14/1321:39> »
My gut says "original DV" would be before applying the DV limit.  The powergamer in me sees the abuse potential and thinks applying the 2DV limit would be better for gameplay.

I agree.

I made a few changes to character. Gave him a Stoner-Ares 202 Machine Gun for his Smart Firing Platform (It's mostly going to be used for Suppressive Fire, and Distraction)

-Does anyone know about Smart Firing Platform Pilot program gets benefit of Smartgun?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-19-14/1519:59> »
I was starting to have a little fun with this character and I was wondering if I could build decent character without using any Ware or Magic.
You're gonna need a lot of Edge to spend on the Blitz option to roll 5d6+(INT+REA), since you won't be able to rely on ware or spells/powers to get multiple initiative passes. And those are the bread-and-butter of combat characters; like in virtually every game, if your side dominates the action economy, you're more likely to win and take less damage in the process. By the same token, you will be even more dependent on getting the best possible gear that gives dice bonuses that might otherwise be provided by ware. But even with a smartlink you won't be rolling as many dice as someone with cybereyes, just because of how the wireless smartgun rules work.

Since you're going to be maxing your stats at the natural max, your pools are going to be lower for everything - for shooting, for dodging, for base reaction, anywhere from 2-4 depending (and even more for Reaction compared to Wired Reflexes + Reaction Enhancers). So you may need to be more environmentally aware (of cover, hiding, situational modifiers and things to give you an edge in combat) which other characters might overlook.

You may want to look into drugs, which can temporarily replicate some of the bonuses of ware (roll more d6s in initiative, +s to stats, etc) but they can come at the dangerous cost of addiction checks.

I think it's doable, I don't know how I would allocate priority to be honest. Magic E of course. You'll need some money but much less than someone buying a ton of ware. You'll probably want a decent Edge and high Attributes, and invest heavier in Specializations to key skills like your main combat skill.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-19-14/1631:59> »
why not also have the called shot quality in Run and Gun too?
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <04-19-14/1646:57> »
why not also have the called shot quality in Run and Gun too?

Because I wouldn't't let my players take both qualities, so I won't give it to a NPC. It would be a little bit too powerful in my opinion.