NEWS

The Silver Age of Shadowrun

• 3 Replies

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« on: <06-07-12/1844:27> »
Here's an idea I've bounced in my skull awhile: some rich, eccentric (totally loony) but harmless schmuck, probably living a Full Immersion lifestyle surrounded by these types of program icons and fantasies, wants to have some meatworld fun. He hires a team of runners to be on retainer, and has his (exasperated) employees help. They doll the runners up in full superhero attire, and he lives out his fantasy by paying the characters to go be real-world Four-Color Superheroes in a world where that idea just doesnt work.

In the end, maybe it falls apart because its a horrible idea. Maybe the team decides they like being Big Damn Heroes. Or maybe he's not really delusional, and an epic PR scheme turns them into well-known public figures as part of a bigger plan (noble or sinister).

Which brings up other questions. In a world as fantastic as SR, would comics even survive? So many powers would now be really possible. And what comic good guys would be easy to replicate with SR4 chargen?

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #1 on: <06-07-12/1908:38> »
Sound interesting Winter.  Maybe go with Masked MysteryMen of the 30s (as a variation).  Watchmen may be a good influence.  Putting on a fancy costume and fighting 'crime' in Shadowrun is likely to end bloody and bad.  Would be an interesting twist if Mr Rich only focuses on 'street' crime, like predominitely orc and troll gangs, ignoring his rich and corrupt budies in the 'club'.  Heroes slowly find out that the worst crime is as a result of his buddies trying to force the poor metahumans out of the neighbourhood to 'redevelop' it.

Cyber up a few people, hire an adept or mage, put them in armoured colourful costumes, have a camera drone follow them and insist they need to say corny lines and not kill their enemies (because heroes dont kill...)  Maybe give them a sponsored enemy to fight?  Something which hits a sterotype or two.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #2 on: <06-07-12/1916:34> »
Oh definitely low-level crime mostly at first, then maybe secretly unleash a nasty spirit (or drug-enraged super samurai, or cyberzombie, or worse) for his heroes to fight on-camera.

What interests me is seeing if the characters continue treating it as an unusual employment, or start to buy their own heroic hype.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-12/0138:50> »
I think Comics (in one form or an other) would still exsist... it's escapist fun for the reader.. and that is something the wageslaves of SR desperately need!

As for which heros could be copied with cyber/bio ware.... Geez..... too many to count!

Probably the 3 most easiest would be Batman, Captain America, and Wolverine.  A little Bioware, a little cyber... and there you go! Sure they wouldn't be EXACT copies... but they could come close enough.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.