NEWS

This time they really did die...

• 37 Replies

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #15 on: <09-29-11/1947:28> »
I avoided all damage thanks to the agile save of our team's electric metahuman can opener. :D

Crash_00

« Reply #16 on: <09-29-11/2258:23> »
Two things kill PCs more than anything else I've seen in any RPG:

A.) Complete and Total lack of teamwork (I also roll unrealistic super-ego into this because trying to do it all yourself is a lack of teamwork).
B.) Working completely against the plan/Being a complete dick.

If your players don't work together and it kills them, they know what to do better next time.
I see problem A come up most often, and as a GM I give a little leeway for it, but I don't really fudge that often.

Problem B usually results in one or more PCs killing each other.

For example:
First session I ran with the last group I actually played with (as opposed to GM for, I usually get stuck GMing), everyone tried to tackle the job on their own. I was the only one actually stepping back and looking at it like a team effort. I made it out alive because I used the rest of the group as distractions (if they didn't want to use teamwork, I'd sure as hell use that to my advantage some how), but only one other person managed to get out of the situation and that was the rigger that stayed in the van. The rest of the group wised up quick as the made new characters. Me and the rigger walked away with 60k a piece (was supposed to be 120k for an eight man job).

Session Two went better in that campaign, but we had one guy (you know that one that always has to play a Vindictive, Combat Monster, Paranoid, Chip on his shoulder troll that treats a panther cannon like a sidearm) that ended up getting left behind. And no, it wasn't an accident. After he managed to kill an entire floor of normal wageslaves, blow our cover repeatedly, and cause most of us physical damage we decided he was better off behind bars than in the shadows where we might have to work with him.

Session three he made another big burly troll that was just as impulsive (same character with different ware) that decided it would be a good idea to suppressive fire the room that our extraction target was tied up in (torture style tied to a chair and unable to move). We had already been told that we got no pay if she was injured three times during the meet, and the player knew exactly how the rules worked. So after she takes a round to the shoulder and begins bleeding out (and of course all the baddies in the room is uninjured because they could hit the floor and dive for cover), he decides to take out a HE grenade. My character didn't even wait to see what happened next. He palmed his pistol and shot the troll in the back of the head. We tossed his body to the Johnson as an apology and managed to negotiate for a quarter of our pay (Johnson let us keep the body so we sold it to a chop shop for a decent bit of change).

You can't force people to play as a team, but if they lose enough characters, it might sink in. Remember, their is a reason most runners die within a year in the biz.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #17 on: <09-30-11/0444:29> »
I'm curious if the player was asked back for session 4...

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-30-11/1145:36> »

that's what I was thinking.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-30-11/1239:55> »
Doubtful.  >:(

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-30-11/1244:16> »
Doubtful.  >:(

Unless the group really enjoyed killing this guy and wanted to see how he died next week on.... SHADOWRUN!
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-30-11/1251:35> »
I used to present all my missions in that format, and a do a recap in that format as well. It was pretty fun, but too time consuming.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-30-11/1302:20> »
I used to present all my missions in that format, and a do a recap in that format as well. It was pretty fun, but too time consuming.

I've done it in that format, as a recap however we do it off the top of our heads. xD I usually have the players help me recap or force them to recap for players that weren't here.

Crash_00

« Reply #23 on: <09-30-11/1426:11> »
I do 7th Sea in that format, but it's naturally cinematic so it really really fits the system. In college I'd even hassle my art major buddies into drawing up a movie poster for each campaign with the heroes on it. Shadowrun the characters tend to die to fast for it to work out well for the posters.

Well it was a GMs relative so we couldn't really boot him, but we did force him to make a different character. He ended up making the standard elf with a pistol. Well ok, he was a Texan elf who dual wielded heavy revolvers (Used SS and fired each one on a separate simple action to avoid the dual wielding penalties), but he was considerably calmer than the troll and actually had a personality other than kill all the .... not me people.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <09-30-11/1445:51> »
I do 7th Sea in that format, but it's naturally cinematic so it really really fits the system. In college I'd even hassle my art major buddies into drawing up a movie poster for each campaign with the heroes on it. Shadowrun the characters tend to die to fast for it to work out well for the posters.

Well it was a GMs relative so we couldn't really boot him, but we did force him to make a different character. He ended up making the standard elf with a pistol. Well ok, he was a Texan elf who dual wielded heavy revolvers (Used SS and fired each one on a separate simple action to avoid the dual wielding penalties), but he was considerably calmer than the troll and actually had a personality other than kill all the .... not me people.

yeah it sounds at least a little toned down... <.< xD

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-30-11/2100:13> »

Well, that does sound like a character less likely to get shot in the back of the head.

One of my players used to bluebook, so they would do a recap themselves while I was getting any last minute stuff done. It was good, gave the players a bit of a laugh (sometimes) or a grimace (other times) and got them in-character and into the swing of things for the session we were about to play.

And I used to do screamsheets, as well, so that helped a bit, and was fun.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-03-11/1433:44> »

Well, that does sound like a character less likely to get shot in the back of the head.

One of my players used to bluebook, so they would do a recap themselves while I was getting any last minute stuff done. It was good, gave the players a bit of a laugh (sometimes) or a grimace (other times) and got them in-character and into the swing of things for the session we were about to play.

scream sheet?

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <10-03-11/1550:21> »

scream sheet?

I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before...

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <10-03-11/1635:49> »

scream sheet?

haha! knew asking it again would lead me back to that topic. Thanks! I was trying to remember what topic it was in. I was looking and looking. XD Thank you again! +1

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <10-03-11/1645:09> »

scream sheet?

haha! knew asking it again would lead me back to that topic. Thanks! I was trying to remember what topic it was in. I was looking and looking. XD Thank you again! +1

No problems. I'm just glad I wasn't having deja vu for no reason. ;)