NEWS

First game as a GM and I killed two of them...

• 36 Replies

Crash_00

« Reply #15 on: <09-23-11/1517:12> »
I just ran a Missions game on Tuesday where I almost put two characters down for good. The group managed to drag one away, but the other is now locked up tight in a K.E. prison.

I'll avoid spoilers, but I was running a session where the group was near a very large Triad ceremony. They scouted out the crowd and knew that they were well outnumbered by combatants (at least 10 to 1 since only two PCs were standing guard at the time). Long story short, when the two players thought the group's cover was blown they began firing at targets in the crowd. Outnumbered more than ten to one they dropped like flies. Funniest part, they fired first, so the Triad members were acting in self defense according to the law.

My point, don't let a few bad rolls spell the end for your player's characters, but sheer stupidity is the recipe for PC death. Often it happens because the player's think, "Oh, he won't kill me."

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <09-29-11/0539:13> »
Well I had lower dice pools than they did but I think it may have been my quantity of enemies that did them in. The only one with no problems was the AI who just destroyed his opposition. I do not feel bad for one of them because he kept overcasting to do stupid things in an awesome way. The other one who died got caught in the cross fire of automatics which is the part where I felt bad because I may have given them too many enemies in the first place. And of course they didn’t do what I expected and the melee fighter ended up with the automatic enemies and the gun bunny ended up in a brawling match with a troll (he was an elf he was the new player so I cut him a little slack). And my second mage hit the dirt after her first roll was a critical glitch….

I killed the guy mage and the melee fighter in the very first initiative pass, I could have killed the gun bunny and the mage at the same time to but again they are brand new players so I gave them a way out. I knew they all made combat heavy characters and that was what I planned for and then I railroaded through them. So I guess my real question is how do you decide how many enemies you would send at a player?

I tend to do a fire team mentality with my groups of "villians"  One higher LT or equivalent for 4 grunts.  and then 1 for every 4 squads.  it's scaleable, and easy to remember.  Also, most security/military forces like 3 times the firepower compared to the enemy.  it might not always be seen but it's always in the area.  All they have to do is punch a hole and run.  Good Car Chase scenes tend to follow.  Remember it's ShadowRUN not ShadowFIGHT.
Living the Electronic Dream

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #17 on: <09-29-11/1110:23> »
I try to scale the scenarios so that the PCs should get shot up real bad if they stick around long after offing anyone they have to to escape. It is called Shadowrun, after all, not Shadowfight!

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-29-11/1223:36> »
I try to scale the scenarios so that the PCs should get shot up real bad if they stick around long after offing anyone they have to to escape. It is called Shadowrun, after all, not Shadowfight!

Dude, you so jacked my line!
Living the Electronic Dream

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-29-11/1823:30> »
haha! two posts that say almost the same thing! XD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #20 on: <09-29-11/1832:25> »
wtf...When i posted that, Arc's message wasn't there! I still jacked it, 'cuz i heard him say it in RL before, but...OH...I left this page up with the reply waiting for me to finish writing it and then went to bed...he posted that while I slept, then i said nearly the same thing when i woke up and came back to it! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hilarious. It did tell me someone posted after i had :D

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-29-11/1833:28> »
Nice^
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #22 on: <12-21-11/1006:23> »
I just ran a Missions game on Tuesday where I almost put two characters down for good. The group managed to drag one away, but the other is now locked up tight in a K.E. prison.

Wow... saw this thread when it got moved, and this put me in the Way Back Machine. And yes, I STILL get grief about the incident.

What nobody seems to remember is that I was planning on firing into the crowd from about 200 meters away, using a Battle Rifle from behind the cover of my heavily armored SUV, then hopping in and peeling out on the 2nd IP after I'd gotten everyone all nice and distracted. Unfortunately the other character, the one that got caught, decided to open up on the Triads as well, with a pair of pistols.

I probably should have bailed and left him, since that would have been more in character and smarter, but I was new at the time and still thinking in D&D terms, so I tried to stay and fight so he could get out of there.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #23 on: <12-21-11/1014:20> »
The first time I ran a game in D&D, I told the group (several times) that "I won't go out of my way to kill you, but I'm not going to go out of my way to save you, either." Unfortunately, the dice gods decreed that they died. TPK in the first boss fight.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #24 on: <12-21-11/1428:14> »
I had the opposite happen. I was worried the characters would get crushed in a fight with a true form roach spirit and his low level shaman. The roach spirit went down in two shots (it had two boxes left after a sniper shot), 17 dice and 2 success can change things fast.
Andrew Grim

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <12-21-11/2143:15> »
I had the opposite happen. I was worried the characters would get crushed in a fight with a true form roach spirit and his low level shaman. The roach spirit went down in two shots (it had two boxes left after a sniper shot), 17 dice and 2 success can change things fast.

Kind of like how I'd have killed a great dragon with my character shooting 9 dice if the great dragon used his own edge to cancel mine. Of course he could then use edge on his reaction but then he'd have to deal with the other shots coming right after that. Of course I had edged 4 shots against this dragon two wielding pistols for 16 dice.... if it counter edged it would have already had 4 edge down. Needless to say the dragon should have been dead. (tries not to go into this for the umpteenth time. People how have read this before forgive me xD)

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #26 on: <12-22-11/1419:21> »
My players like having me run games because I have a reputation for rolling badly.  :'(
Andrew Grim

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <12-22-11/1712:24> »
My players like having me run games because I have a reputation for rolling badly.  :'(

Haha, you sound like one of teh DM's at our table when i'm not DMing. He rolls so bad and in front of us without using a screen(i use a screen because i roll too good for my group so i tone it down) so we see how badly he rolled. My friend I believe summoned a level 8 spirit and got 12 services. XD *shakes head* I swear one day i'm going to go find the body of chuck norris and summon a F10+ spirit of Man into his body, and at that point I will look to the DM and say.

"He just won upped Bruce Lee." xD

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #28 on: <12-23-11/0130:42> »
I swear one day i'm going to go find the body of chuck norris and summon a F10+ spirit of Man into his body, and at that point I will look to the DM and say.

What make you believe that Chuck Norris will be dead in 2072?
"Death will one day succumb to chuck norris, never the other way around"

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #29 on: <12-23-11/0739:15> »
I swear one day i'm going to go find the body of chuck norris and summon a F10+ spirit of Man into his body, and at that point I will look to the DM and say.

What make you believe that Chuck Norris will be dead in 2072?
"Death will one day succumb to chuck norris, never the other way around"

Rasmus
Personally, it amuses me to think that Chuck Norris is Harlequin waiting for magic to come back.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters