NEWS

iPad Apps for GMing

• 9 Replies

Andinel

• Newb
« on: <06-12-11/0552:29> »
I've been using my iPad to help me run some games, and since I'm going to be running Shadowrun again soon, I was wondering if anyone knew of any useful apps. One thing that would be really helpful would be something that keeps track of initiative and damage for everyone, so I don't have to worry too much about reordering everyone once wound penalties get in the mix.

Thanks!
Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Number 176 of 1500

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-12-11/1009:39> »
I cannot remember the name, but i know of one app for DND that is used to track initiative & such.

or maybe it Pathfinder.

you can use it to keep order, hold action, and rearrange initiative order as needed.

tracking damage & such,  Idon't know.

I'll try to get the name of the app from the guy today and post it for you. if you find a SR app, more power to you

gunrunner

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-12-11/1237:03> »
Sadly, there is a real lack of SR-related apps... I found one in the appstore that looked to do such things, but the ratings were very low for it. Bad enough that I didn't want to make the $5 investment to check it out.

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-12-11/1424:56> »
I've got several online tools here. No iPad apps, but they're basic html so they shouldn't have any problems running in the default iPad browser despite its limitations compared to a PC. Included are:

• NPC Generator: personalities only. I use it when random people are needed and their stats are immaterial.
  • Lifestyle generator: for creating random lifestyles
  • Random car chase generator: for when a car chase happens and needs terrain
  • Quick reference: lots of charts and tables from the books, plus an innitiative tracker. We ignore the rule about changing initiatives from wound penalties, so it doesn't resort itself during a turn, but I've been meaning to add that functionality in since we've also had times when new combatants enter a fight.
  • A threat database that includes NPCs from our group's game as well as a bunch that people have submitted.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-12-11/1447:29> »
I just added a sort function to the initiative tracker. If you need more than that to use it, lemme know.

Check out our campaign.

gunrunner

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-13-11/0948:16> »
James, I just bookmarked your site. Thanks for making all these tools available!

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-13-11/1032:54> »
NP. If you find a bug or have any improvements to suggest, shoot me an email or PM. :)

Check out our campaign.

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-13-11/1651:35> »
the app is called initative assitant, I think the guy said.

anything about initative should get you into the ballpark

Andinel

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <06-13-11/1751:41> »
I found a bunch of apps for tracking d20-style initiative, but none that do IP. I was using an excel spreadsheet to keep track of this stuff before, but it tends to be kind of clunky and not work all that well.
Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Number 176 of 1500

desdinova81

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <06-22-11/2300:06> »
Once I'm back in the swing of things, I may work on writting some mobile apps for shadowrun.  Programming is one of my many hobbies I can exploit for a better gaming experience  :D