NEWS

Converting SR4 resources to SR5?

• 2 Replies

CritAnime

• Newb
« on: <07-02-14/2041:18> »
I am a new GM to Shadowrun and I am currenlty trying to drum up a game on Roll20.net. I have had a question sent to me by a potential player asking what the long term plan is.

For my the plan is to get players hooked using the Quick-Start rules, I have the digital tools box, then look into mission resources along the way. However my local gaming shop, that stock SR books anyway, has very little in the way of SR5 books and lots of SR4 books. Is it easy enough to convert SR4 resource books into SR5? do they still remain playable or are there bugs to doing this?

James.

RulezLawyerZ

• Newb
  • IANA.... wait, yes I am.
« Reply #1 on: <07-03-14/1201:25> »
Hmmm... I've had good luck just kind of spitballing things; much of the SR5 content is ported from SR4 anyway, albeit with (sometimes serious) changes. The one that my group hangs up on is the distinction between 4E "nodes" and 5E "hosts/devices."

The most obvious changes are budgetary; some things that were incredibly cheap in 4E (thanks, nanoforging techniques!) are now much more expensive in 5E (thanks, nanoforging techniques!). However, there's also a significant shift in the mechanic with the addition of limits, which you'll have to work around.

As for guidelines, hunt up the 4E -> 5E conversion guide; it won't cover all the bases, but it should help quite a bit.

CritAnime

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-04-14/0026:09> »
Thanks I found the guide. I am gonna have a browse through it and see what it says. :)