NEWS

Street cred in Chicago

• 36 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« on: <10-24-13/1242:10> »
Let's say my face is talking to Juan about a run.  He has Juan as a loyalty 3 contact and his street cred is 6, in part because of things Juan hired him to do--so Juan is certainly aware of my guy's rep.  Do I get +6 dice to my Negotiation roll as per the social modifier table?

EDIT: I ask because while by the rules, this is perfectly okay, in a living campaign, it seems like you could get a street cred of 10+ fairly quickly, which would trivialize your actual Charisma/Negotiation scores.
« Last Edit: <10-24-13/1255:53> by Kincaid »
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <10-24-13/1408:45> »
p. 372 of SR5:

"Street Cred is applied as a positive Limit Modifier to all Social Tests in situations where the character’s reputation would be known."

So you don't get +6 dice.  instead you get +6 to your Social Limit.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-24-13/1440:38> »
I was thinking of the table on page 140, which specifies a +dice modifier equal to Street Cred.  But I actually have a follow-up question regarding page 372.  You generally get +whatever street cred at the end of a run.  Do runners also get (Karma/10) of additional Street Cred in SRM?  I assumed that the divide-by-ten rule was replaced by GMs assigning cred at the end of a mission, but I figured I should ask.
« Last Edit: <10-24-13/1453:47> by Kincaid »

martinchaen

« Reply #3 on: <10-24-13/1616:06> »
Kincaid, check page 372.

A character’s Street Cred score is based on the character’s total Karma earned. For every full 10 Karma that a character earns, they gain a point of Street Cred. Thus, Street Cred equals the character’s total Karma, divided by 10, always rounded down (though other factors may adjust it, such as sacrificing Street Cred to reduce Notoriety.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-24-13/1620:29> »
Kincaid, check page 372.

A character’s Street Cred score is based on the character’s total Karma earned. For every full 10 Karma that a character earns, they gain a point of Street Cred. Thus, Street Cred equals the character’s total Karma, divided by 10, always rounded down (though other factors may adjust it, such as sacrificing Street Cred to reduce Notoriety.

At the end of each mission, I've received a sheet from the GM noting karma earned, nuyen earned, contacts gained (or improved), as well as changes to Street Cred, Notoriety, and Public Awareness.  The Street Cred I've accrued this way isn't linked to my total karma.  For example, "Chasin' the Wind" specifies +1 Street Cred for completing a specific task.
« Last Edit: <10-24-13/1622:41> by Kincaid »

martinchaen

« Reply #5 on: <10-24-13/1623:26> »
Interesting. That might be worth mentioning to the ... oh, I don't know... Missions Developer? *coughs*

samiam

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <10-24-13/1857:53> »
It's both, or I should say that is the way I am interpreting it. 

You have the Karma/10 per the RAW on pg 372.  The Missions have additional recommendations in the "Picking Up the Pieces" segment of the module including Reputation awards/hits.  Some are scenario specific and should be awarded if the specific criteria are met and others are discretionary: "During the adventure, runners may perform actions that will add to their Street Cred, Notoriety, or Public Awareness (p. 372, SR5). Besides the scenario specific gains listed below, gamemasters should consider the characters actions throughout the game and award additional points as appropriate." (from Chasin' the Wind...emphasis mine).  I recommend to my players keep the two types of Street Cred separate so it's easy for a GM to see what they have been awarded vs based on a Karma calculation.
« Last Edit: <10-24-13/1859:27> by samiam »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-24-13/1936:58> »
It's both, or I should say that is the way I am interpreting it. 

You have the Karma/10 per the RAW on pg 372.  The Missions have additional recommendations in the "Picking Up the Pieces" segment of the module including Reputation awards/hits.  Some are scenario specific and should be awarded if the specific criteria are met and others are discretionary: "During the adventure, runners may perform actions that will add to their Street Cred, Notoriety, or Public Awareness (p. 372, SR5). Besides the scenario specific gains listed below, gamemasters should consider the characters actions throughout the game and award additional points as appropriate." (from Chasin' the Wind...emphasis mine).  I recommend to my players keep the two types of Street Cred separate so it's easy for a GM to see what they have been awarded vs based on a Karma calculation.

I track total karma, so I'm essentially doing this, but now we're obviously in the realm of house rules, which is always a little tricky for open play.  Would I add both Street Cred to my social rolls?  Only one while the other counts towards my limit?  Lots of stuff would need to be ironed out.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <10-24-13/2000:04> »
"Street Cred equals the character’s total Karma, divided by 10, always rounded down [...] At the gamemaster’s discretion, additional Street Cred points can be awarded [...] Street Cred is applied as a positive Limit Modifier to all Social Tests in situations where the character’s reputation would be known."

No difference between the two origins for effect. As to whether Street Cred is meant to add bonus dice, we need errata to be sure but I honestly doubt this is the case, since they not only switched away from dicepool modifiers quite a bit and only the table still contains the likely-archaic dicepool modifier, but they also stopped mentioning a restriction on how big the bonus can be, which seems far more fitting for an intended pure limit-increase.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-24-13/2045:07> »
"Street Cred equals the character’s total Karma, divided by 10, always rounded down [...] At the gamemaster’s discretion, additional Street Cred points can be awarded [...] Street Cred is applied as a positive Limit Modifier to all Social Tests in situations where the character’s reputation would be known."

No difference between the two origins for effect. As to whether Street Cred is meant to add bonus dice, we need errata to be sure but I honestly doubt this is the case, since they not only switched away from dicepool modifiers quite a bit and only the table still contains the likely-archaic dicepool modifier, but they also stopped mentioning a restriction on how big the bonus can be, which seems far more fitting for an intended pure limit-increase.

Yeah, I'm assuming all Street Cred is Street Cred RAW, but SRM is weird in the sense that it gives you Street Cred outside of the rule you quoted--it seems to be +1 per mission and maybe +2 if you capstone a convention run.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <10-24-13/2125:11> »
Not at all, it falls directly within the rule: Additional Street cred points awarded for noteworthy accomplishments.

As for how often it happens: With the two books, you can get up to a total of 4 Street Cred spread out over 3 of the 8 missions. With the Emerging from the Wasteland plotline, you can usually score 1 per run if you make the correct choice / obtain the correct result for that accomplishment.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-24-13/2127:18> »
Not at all, it falls directly within the rule: Additional Street cred points awarded for noteworthy accomplishments.

As for how often it happens: With the two books, you can get up to a total of 4 Street Cred spread out over 3 of the 8 missions. With the Emerging from the Wasteland plotline, you can usually score 1 per run if you make the correct choice / obtain the correct result for that accomplishment.

Good point--and man, my guy has built is cred up fast!  Of course, adding 9 to this social limit (bringing it to 17) isn't exactly a useful benefit if no +dice are involved.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <10-24-13/2139:20> »
Just imagine a 200-karma character with 24+8 Missions at the end of Season 5, and that's excluding any CMPs aside from Sprawl Wilds + Firing Line, who scored optimal on Street Cred. If the trend continues, we're talking 30+20=50+ Street Cred. ^_^ Wonder if it will have any significance to retiring.

(Side note: Man, my own PC is poor. ;_; I tend to lose out on an average of >2k per mission compared to players when I GM.)

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-24-13/2206:02> »
Don't forget that you get Public Awareness from Street Cred, so you'll rapidly reach a point where anyone you meet, everywhere you go will know who you are.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-24-13/2226:00> »
Don't forget that you get Public Awareness from Street Cred, so you'll rapidly reach a point where anyone you meet, everywhere you go will know who you are.

Where is this rule?