NEWS

[SR5] Gimme back sport rifles!

• 43 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <08-20-13/2132:18> »
So...  Pistols should be pretty much pointless?  Longarms would be the one true skill for combatants, at that point.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <08-20-13/2134:45> »
So...  Pistols should be pretty much pointless?  Longarms would be the one true skill for combatants, at that point.

Under what Bonx suggests, Handguns would be the concealable firearms, Longarms the more powerful but not really conceivable to conceal and Machine Guns and Heavy Weapons would be the "Big Bada Boom".
« Last Edit: <08-20-13/2144:59> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <08-20-13/2142:57> »
Ah, misread.  Still, far too generalized, and the existence of Automatics as a sort of jack-of-all-trades option is definitely a good thing.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <08-20-13/2144:38> »
Ah, misread.  Still, far too generalized, and the existence of Automatics as a sort of jack-of-all-trades option is definitely a good thing.

Specific is better.

I still think each weapon type should be its own skill with some exceptions.

Basically:
Pistols (hold-out, light and heavy) [include a narco-ject firing pistol here]
Submachine Guns (SMGs and machine pistols)
Rifles (sport and sniper rifles) [include a narco-ject firing rifle here]
Machine Guns (assault rifles, LMG, MMG, HMG)
Heavy Weapons (assault cannons, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, mini-guns)
Laser Weapons

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <08-20-13/2146:15> »
Specific can be better, but it isn't in all cases - and without something like skill webs, that is too specific.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <08-20-13/2148:40> »
Specific can be better, but it isn't in all cases - and without something like skill webs, that is too specific.

Not really. That would allow the firearms skill group to exclude most of the guns that one really wouldn't learn unless joining the military (assault rifle and up).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <08-20-13/2151:01> »
There are so many things wrong with that reasoning.  Half the reason to take the group is to represent just that sort of training.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <08-20-13/2157:24> »
There are so many things wrong with that reasoning.  Half the reason to take the group is to represent just that sort of training.

It'd make more sense to me for the group to represent the firearms one can learn without military training and for all the military-grade guns being separate. This would help put the military types a cut above the rest (which I think they should be).

Bonx

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <08-21-13/0750:41> »

Under what Bonx suggests, Handguns would be the concealable firearms, Longarms the more powerful but not really conceivable to conceal and Machine Guns and Heavy Weapons would be the "Big Bada Boom".
My vision is that handguns are all manipulated the same way (same stance) whereas longarms would cover all the shouldered firearms. We could debate that SMGs use stocks most of the time and that a sawn-off shotgun can be wielded like a pistol but you get the point. Heavy weapons have an insane recoil and definitely require a different technic. And yes in my Shadowrun people don't go clubbing at the Penumbra with rifle (a pistol and a knife are enough  ;D )

Too many different skills to cover the use firearms might look interesting for the game but I feel it not very consistent. We can look at the detail but guns are somehow all used the same. See in comparison Medicine is a simple skill although it would take years to learn the theory and more years to be a good practicioner.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <08-21-13/1746:29> »
I like the SR5 grouping.
And you can still specialize in sub groups such as Pistol (Heavy Pistols) or Longarms (Shotguns).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #40 on: <08-21-13/1749:29> »
Fun part: It's 14 karma for +2 on all of Longarms. You could even buy 1 with a skillpoint and keep 7 karma to get the second in downtime directly after your first run,
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #41 on: <08-21-13/1916:10> »
The funniest thing about this thread is it started off wondering what happened to the hunting or "sport" rifles.  The went to a talk on the skills.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <08-21-13/1918:08> »
The funniest thing about this thread is it started off wondering what happened to the hunting or "sport" rifles.  The went to a talk on the skills.

Because the rifles are still there. The only differences are that the range is slightly better and they're now included in the sniper rifle specialization of Longarms. Thus the detour onto skills.

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #43 on: <08-21-13/2013:33> »
Because the rifles are still there. The only differences are that the range is slightly better and they're now included in the sniper rifle specialization of Longarms. Thus the detour onto skills.

A valid point.  Honestly, I like the way the skills are set up.  I learned basic shooting on an M-16, but have little to no practice with a pistol.  Since the skills are centered around the shooting methods for each (Yes, firing a standard pistol of any kind is vastly different from firing a machine pistol.) I can see the way they set them up, and frankly, in the interest of space, there's a good reason they didn't break up Heavy Weapons.  Which, is something you are trained to be familiar with in just about any basic training.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie