NEWS

Looking for ideas: How to handle Car Rentals

• 11 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« on: <06-02-18/0141:38> »
I don't know why this just keeps coming up... well I do.  It keeps coming up because I'm not handling it well.

What's the issue?  Players want to have their runners rent a car for shadow work rather than buying one permanently.

What's my issue?  Well for starters I have no guidance whatsoever on what to charge them.  Or even if I should charge them.  If someone has a high lifestyle, surely they have the budget for a frikkin chauffeur service, which means they can afford a stupid budget rent-a-car without expending tracked nuyen.  But what about Low lifestyle?  Or Middle?  Plus if you want to use gear for your shadowrun in any and every other instance, you're expected to buy it.  If you want to use a car for non-civilian work, then you shouldn't get one for free (or for near as well may be free).

But without going meta and just telling players "If you want a car, just buy one." what'd be an elegant way to get the same result in-character/in-universe?  Without just punting the issue to "fine, we'll just steal a car then."

Insist there are no car rentals anymore, and you can only do ride sharing/Future Uber... with all the attending difficulties in having a civilian driver (or drone memory logs) along to witness your crimes?

Maybe a better idea is to figure an arbitrary value to charge, but stress that there's no such thing as insurance in the sixth world rental industry... so if you bring it back with bulletholes and bloodstains you're still paying for the repairs AND likely having to answer awkward questions to Law Enforcement?  (Or just burning your own fake SIN you rented the car with)

Anyone have other ideas or suggestions?

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1 on: <06-02-18/0147:44> »
Let'em rent a car for one mission then have the cops find them using the car rental?
Give them a cool taxi or limo driver contact who does the driving?
Make renting a car unprofitable?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-02-18/0201:43> »
Well it'd be much easier to deal with in a home game... in SRM and its attending 4 hour bloc lots of options go off the table, like cops tracking down runners post-run.

I'm liking the idea though of "no one offers insurance in the sixth world on rentals".  Make it so that there's no financial advantage in renting a car and ditching it. 

Doesn't do anything to disincentive "free" wheels by way of stealing a car... but SRM's qualities can help there.  We've only got 4 hours for the game, and there's no budgeted time for an off-script encounter with cops trying to arrest you for stealing a car.  If you REALLY want to steal a car go ahead... with the knowledge that doing so may make successfully completing the mission impossible due to time constraints...
« Last Edit: <06-02-18/0216:49> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-02-18/0305:06> »
As it happens, the new Schattenhandbuch 3 has extra content dealing with car rentals.

The gist of it is, you have three options:

1) You need a SIN (hopefully a fake one). Different cab services have different levels of SIN checks (and corresponding better cars). If nothing happens to the car, you keep your SIN, otherwise you'll have to burn it

2) Hack the host of a car rental and use a customer account (Host rating is 2+SIN minimum level). To avoid tedious hacking back and forth you can do it as a simple test of Hacking + Logic [Sleaze] vs. (SIN Rating+2)
Potential problem: You never know when your hack will be noticed

3) You create a fake user account with a hack vs a host of (SIN Rating x2). That avoids the SIN check completely and you only get caught if you damage the car. Shortcut test: Hacking + Logic [Sleaze] vs. (SIN Rating x2)

Prices:

Rent times: hour/day/week/month
Low: 25/75/250/500
Medium: 50/150/500/800
High: 100/300/1000/1500
Luxury: 200/600/2000/2500
Transport (per m³ loading capacity): 30/90/300/500

SIN Ratings necessary:
Medium to High: 3 (Worldwide availability)
Medium: 2 (Continent wide availability
Low to Medium: 1 (single sprawl exclusive)
Luxury: 4 (Optional: Chauffeur and bodyguards as add ons)
Low to High: 2 (Car sharing - you get to use the cars of other people - with all the surprises that come with it)
High to Luxury: 3 (More leniency for damaged cars and fast transports, danger of retribution)
Transport: 2 (Over a certain weight limit only available as autopilot version)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #4 on: <06-17-18/1953:35> »
I wonder how many rental cars--at least on the cheap end--still have manual controls.  I imagine a lot of rental companies removing the manual controls and/or installing Gridlink on their vehicles.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <06-17-18/2120:55> »
I wouldn't be surprised if all the vehicles have their usage tracked.

Even today, many commercial vehicles are GPS tracked and log everything from location, length of trip, speed reached, and even braking force applied!

By using a rental car, they could be leaving a 'smoking gun' in their wake!
(You KNOW the rental company is blaring away in the Matrix 'I'M A RENTAL! RENT ME FROM BOB'S RENTALS TODAY!!" Every second of usage. Not going to take the Cops long to come knocking, even if its just to get a statement.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

etJake

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-17-23/2335:06> »
Have the rental cars be like Johnny Cab from Total Recall.  It will only use the GridGuide.  And of course will have log of where it went, ability to be shut off or overrode without some hacking.  Probably really only useable by Shadow Runners looking to move equipment by van from one city to another without awkward questions being asked. 

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-18-23/0241:05> »
(this is a 5 year old thread etJake)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <12-18-23/0709:43> »
(this is a 5 year old thread etJake)
We may have some new visitors to the forums as we're trying to get word out that we still exist. Let's give them some slack.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #9 on: <12-19-23/0906:02> »
Still a current topic!  I hit this all the time when runners get sent to another sprawl.  They may or may not have managed to arrange for smugglers to deliver their favorite illegal toys that they couldn't take on a plane, but not so easy to get a whole vehicle dropped off in Denver (or wherever). 

I've done a lot of hand waving of Johnson provides a beater they can use while there, but that doesn't always make sense.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <12-19-23/0959:49> »
I know Lifestyles of the Shadowy and Infamous has a lifestyle option regarding vehicle rentals for a transportation option as part of your monthly lifestyle costs.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-19-23/1025:55> »
Not too long ago, car rental megacorp Hertz found itself on the hook for $168 million to settle lawsuits… Because a “glitch” in their system resulted in several thousand people who had rented cars from Hertz were never recorded as having returned them. So Hertz would report them as stolen to the police, Hertz gave the police the GPS info from the cars’ satnav, and the police would then track down the “stolen” car.

In many cases, they found “stolen” car on Hertz’s own lots. Other times, the car had been rented out to some new customer who got arrested for “stealing” the car they’d rented from Hertz. Several times Hertz had sold the car to a new owner and the new owner of the vehicle got arrested for stealing a car they owned! A couple of those cars had been sold to the federal government for fleet use and one of those arrested was a NASA astronaut!

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a42177659/hertz-to-pay-false-arrest-settlements/

Now, take how careless and thoughtless the giant bureaucracy of Hertz was in this case. Magnify it to the level of a Shadowrun megacorp.

Sure, you’re 500+ Karma Prime Runners are doing fine now, but remember fourteen months ago when they were a bunch of 4 Karma gutterpunks with one Ares Alpha to share amongst them and they had to rent a Ford Americar to get to the job out in Bellevue?

Well, Ares Rent-A-Ride remembers them.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.