NEWS

Tablet size: 7" vs. 10"?

• 15 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« on: <07-03-13/1650:12> »
I'm considering a tablet for my growing collection of PDFs and other light duties (surfing, casual gaming). I'm in the Android ecosystem right now. What are people's experiences with the various tablet sizes? I'd prefer to keep it small for easier handling and mobility, but is 7" just hopeless for reading PDFs? Too much scrolling and zooming? I have good eyes and can read small print but I don't want to squint my way into a new eyeglass prescription.

Thoughts?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <07-03-13/1755:29> »
Why does it always seem to come down to size with people?  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-03-13/1813:32> »
Ugh.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <07-03-13/1823:42> »
Sorry, couldn't help it, gotta be me.

I don't have a tablet.  :(  So can't help.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #4 on: <07-04-13/0321:27> »
I have a 10" and that suits me fine with a bigger screen for reading and watching movies.
I don't find it difficult to move around but then I often take the car and transportation of a tablet isn't really an issue for me.

If you are going to take it with you everywhere then a 7" is probably a good choice as it can fit in a large pocket.
I didn't go for the smaller size as my smartphone has a rather large screen so I didn't find that I needed a portable device with a screen only a little larger.
But the 7" I have tried functions fine for reading and watching movies.

Wow, that must really have helped  8)
In the end it really dependt on what you are going to do with it.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-04-13/1015:56> »
I have an iPad and find the size very nice for reading my RPG collection in PDF. I would not be too keen on a smaller tablet for that reason. However, the 7" versions are more compact and portable...that piece will come down to what best suits your needs; I simply carry mine in my briefcase so not really an issue.

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #6 on: <07-12-13/2055:39> »
I have a Nexus 7, which I am very happy with. 7" screen (as obvious from the name), used as a fancy notebook and media consumption device. Went through most of Red Dwarf on it.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-12-13/2218:25> »
Andy, that's one of my leading candidates, especially since a new version is expected shortly. Do you read Shadowrun PDFs on it? How is it for that?

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #8 on: <07-13-13/2207:42> »
10" for sure.  If you want 7", you might as well go a bit smaller and get a 5" phone.  I've never heard of a person saying "You know, my iPad is just too big...  It's too easy to read stuff.  Oh gosh, it's too heavy, too."  Or any other 10" tablet, for that matter.  I know I would regret it if I ever bought a 7".
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-14-13/0736:04> »
I have an iPad and I find it great, but I have also seen my mates 7" tablet, while its adequate and can certainly display them well enough to read them, even he will admit they look better on my iPad.
I would say it depends on whether your like me and enjoy reading the pdf over and over or your just doing quick referencing, coz the more time you spend looking at it the more I would recommend the 10".
« Last Edit: <07-14-13/0739:00> by Hellion »
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #10 on: <07-22-13/2219:16> »
Do you read Shadowrun PDFs on it? How is it for that?

Sorry for the holdup in replying. Yeah, PDFs are well-readable on a Nexus 7, and not just the Shadowrun ones. Overall, this is a pretty cool media consumption / PDA device.

Limitations:
1) Basic version (which I have) has no broadband networking.
2) No way to expand storage - has no slots for SD cards or USB ports. Even with a USB-A(female)-to-micro-USB(male) adapter - there is no native drivers for external USB storage. OTOH, I hear there are solutions for this (which do require rooting). Personally, though, 16GB is more than enough for my media and music collection.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-31-13/0312:59> »
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Just to tie it off, I bought the new version of the Nexus 7 that was released this week. It arrives next Monday so I haven't got my hands on it yet. I'm crossing my fingers that the 7" allows for readable PDFs. I much prefer the smaller size (easier to hold) and the lower price tag so it was a risk I was willing to take.

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #12 on: <08-06-13/1043:18> »
Just for the record, I would recommend to get the Adobe reader for PDFs, instead of the default one.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #13 on: <08-11-13/0945:32> »
I went for the wi-fi Galaxy Tab 3 7-inch, myself. Just small enough to fit in my pocket, big enough for my video, web browsing, and gaming needs. Only 8Gb, but with the expansion microSD slot that's not really an issue.

I did download a "split" keyboard for typing in landscape mode. Stretching to reach the middle keys when thumb typing is uncomfortable. Also, side-loaded flash because while it is a buggy bloated piece of software, so damn many websites still use it.

Only $180-190 at a lot of locations.

-k

martinchaen

« Reply #14 on: <09-11-13/1622:44> »
I am very much enjoying my Kindle Fire, because I read while laying in bed and I thought the 10" iPad and Galaxy were too heavy.

I've watched a couple of movies, but I have 110" projector screen, so I've been kinda spoiled with that.

Find what matches your purpose, if you ask me. 7" is lighter and "more" portable, 10" has more screen realestate (some models), but the bigger devices are also more expensive (if that matters).

Good luck!