NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings-Horizon

• 2029 Replies

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1590 on: <11-24-15/2249:17> »
Crossbow, did you catch Clem's attack on the spirit? Seems kind of odd that such a high roll wouldn't produce any sort of noticeable effect...
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1591 on: <11-24-15/2353:26> »
Dang, I really thought that roll would have gone through. Guess we'll have to hold out and wait for Sammy to take care of this spirit.

Turn 2, Pass 1 Full Defence ~ Reaction 7 + Athletics 2 - Damage Modifier 1 - Shocked 2: 6d6t5 2 No glitches. So that's 1 net hit for the spirit.

Turn 2 Pass 1 Damage Resistance ~ Impact Armour 9/2 + Body 5 + Toughness 1: 11d6t5 5 No glitches.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1592 on: <11-25-15/0008:11> »
I understand that the drones are down?  If so, I do not know what help my gun has against spirits.  Is it feasible to go after Sammy at this point?
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1593 on: <11-25-15/0025:07> »
I think we need more information from Crossbow before we know where we stand tactically. I got the impression that Sam saw a fair number of "dragonflies" (drones), but we don't know how many there are. And since the spirit's materialized, it should be vulnerable to physical damage, which is why I asked about whether or not Clem had managed to hit it at the end of the last round. But if Clem can't hit it, then we need to find the mage who summoned it instead, which may be a tough task.

Incidentally, this is all stuff that's over Sam's head, so he's not going to be acting on it. :D

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1594 on: <11-25-15/0244:59> »
Actually the reason why the spirit is so difficult to hit is because they have immunity to normal weapons.  If the damage is less than a certain amount (I'm not sure how much that actually is and I'm away from my books at the moment) it doesn't do anything at all.  So you have to go above a certain threshold before you actually do any damage and even then they still have quite a lot of soak (all this is, like everything with spirits, linked to their force and the type of spirit).
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1595 on: <11-25-15/0450:01> »
Okay, so yes, I did miss Hydroraven editing his post for the attack, but unfortunately for you guys at the moment, farothel is correct, the damage is ignored due to its immunity after rolling defense.

: 9d6t5 4

Attack is reduced to a 9DV which is in range of immunity.

On the other hand, you are not completely helpless against it.

Street Magic p.94

Attack of Will

An attack of will may only be conducted with a physical
or astral melee attack—willpower simply doesn’t work with
ranged attacks. Sometimes you are better off trying to smack a
spirit with a gun than attempting to shoot it. While an attack
of will can damage a spirit in spite of its formidable resilience
to non-magical attack, only the truly courageous, driven, or
mad have enough force of personality to affect a spirit.
When in melee with a spirit, a character may elect to
make an attack of will rather than a normal melee strike. The
character rolls his Banishing + Willpower (or just Willpower)
as his dice pool, and his base Damage Value is (Charisma)P
regardless of whether he is attacking with a spanner, combat
axe, or his bare hands. Reach modifiers (attacker’s or spirit’s)
do not apply to this test. The attack of will bypasses the spirit’s
Immunity to Normal Weapons and is otherwise resolved as a
normal melee attack (see p. 146, SR4). This form of attack is
only effective against spirits.

On the drone front, O'Conner's attacks destroyed the two menacing him, there is still one each for Clem, Snow and Torley.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1596 on: <11-25-15/0455:02> »
That's probably something for Sam Torley to do, as he will probably have the highest willpower and charisma.

@Crossbow: I thought that the immunity was checked before the soak (anything below gets ignored, anything below gets soaked), but I'm away from my books, so I might be mistaken.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1597 on: <11-25-15/0807:19> »
You are correct, but the roll was for a defense check, not damage resistance

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1598 on: <11-25-15/1148:41> »
That's probably something for Sam Torley to do, as he will probably have the highest willpower and charisma.

Charisma, yes, but unfortunately his Willpower isn't very high, so he'd have to use edge just to have a chance at hitting. :(

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1599 on: <11-26-15/0809:44> »
Happy American Thanksgiving to my New Beginnings family.

It has been really awesome running this game with you guys, thanks for sticking with me during the slumps.  I can't even say it is going to get better, as I said I start another new job next week, but I promise you I am here as long as you are.

Crossbow

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1600 on: <11-26-15/0811:42> »

Charisma, yes, but unfortunately his Willpower isn't very high, so he'd have to use edge just to have a chance at hitting. :(

Snow is in slightly better shape to do that, especially with multiple passes, but has a drone and medic stuff to deal with first.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1601 on: <11-26-15/0815:55> »
Edited IC to account for Clem's attack.

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1602 on: <11-26-15/0901:56> »
Depending on how much damage she gets from that last attack, I'll write something about her next pass (if she has one).
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1603 on: <11-29-15/1233:05> »
Alright, shake off the turkey coma folks, Clementine will soak the hit again, but still has to roll for incapacitation again, no extra disorientation though, that won't stack I would think.

O'Conner is up, then we can hear what Snow and Torley are doing.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1604 on: <11-29-15/1426:22> »
Turkey coma is right.  Just coming out of mine.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>