NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings-Horizon

• 2029 Replies

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #885 on: <05-02-15/0712:18> »
Sorry about that.  I was trying to be careful due to being reminded before that I was posting too early and not waiting my turn.  Maybe this is a different situation and if so I am very sorry.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #886 on: <05-02-15/2137:50> »
Well, your hacking attempts are taking less than thirty seconds total (each combat pass is about six seconds), so really, none of the rest of us have a realistic chance of saying or doing anything meaningful in the meantime. Other than Clem, of course, who's dancing around pretending to be a blender. ;D

Matrix stuff happens fast. You'll be in & out (one way or the other...) before the rest of us know what's happening.
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #887 on: <05-03-15/0334:01> »
Then I am sorry.  I had thought that the initiative rules meant that all had actions at the same relative time and I was already working on the second init pass and did not want to go too far ahead of anyone else still going on the first pass.  Anyway, I should be into the system now so am waiting to see if Clem has something she wants me to prioritize.  My idea would be a download of the file we are looking for then wipe it from the system.  I would really like to wipe the entire system and crash it.

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #888 on: <05-03-15/0645:26> »
Clem really has no idea about Matrix stuff, so she'll assume the message was intended for someone else. But yeah, if Snow can look at the date in question and see if there is a recording, see how many people are connected to the node at present and crash the node, that would be tremendous.

Obviously Snow will probably won't have enough time to do all that, so the file and the number of people would be a big help. But I'm sure Our friend in Belgium probably has a better plan, he is much more knowledgeable about Matrix stuff than I am.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #889 on: <05-03-15/0703:03> »
That would be me I guess.  Well, things depend on what the node's alert response is.  For instance, Sammy's alert response is 'reboot'.  So if an alert is triggered, her commlink will reboot, throwing the attacker out (and giving dumpshock if said attacker is using VR).  I don't think this node will be doing that, as it's a business node.  I think here the response will be 'warn security spider and load some of the programs he or she needs'.  In that case, how long you have depends on how long it takes for this person to get in.

I would say the priorities are the following:
-see if they have the file and if they do, copy it, check if they made back-ups somewhere and then wipe it from this location.  We can then see about the back-ups.  Maybe if they have similar things from other people (it looks like they might), we can get those as well.
-who's inside can always be interesting (camera feed probably)
-and then maybe take out the node to wipe your trail.

As to the initiative, currently MM is the only one running on initiative time.  The rest of us is still running on narrative time, waiting for you to do your stuff.  In this case it's indeed best to do all your dice rolls at once and then let the GM decide how many he needs and what the results are to save time.  This is in fact why a lot of GMs don't like matrix stuff, as it can take a lot of time out game for a few seconds in game.  In combat this is less a problem as at that point if you're in the matrix, your running at the same time increments as the rest (you're doing different things, but it's easy to just tuck you into the initiative list and take your action just like the combatters).

So in the future if we're in combat and you're in the matrix, roll them by initiative, but in situations like this, just roll them all at once to speed things up.  I do the same thing when I assence multiple people.  I just roll as many times as there are people, say to the GM 'I do assensing from left to right, here are the rolls' and then he can do all the results in one post.  And don't worry about it, it's something we all had to learn when we started with PbPs.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #890 on: <05-03-15/0826:26> »
Thanks farothel, that was all very helpful. 

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #891 on: <05-03-15/1158:46> »
Thank you from me as well.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #892 on: <05-03-15/1334:00> »
Sorry guys, I wrote up a post but for some reason it didn't take, I will get something up in a few.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #893 on: <05-03-15/1411:09> »
BTW Mercy, why are you defaulting for Data Search?  It is a part of your Electronics Skill Group.  (It still ends up being 3 so the dice don't change)

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #894 on: <05-03-15/1701:49> »
GM rolls some dice

A few things that should occur to Snow:

1) If the files are not in the node, there should be some trace of them being sent elsewhere, there's not, there also aren't slave nodes for the receiving equipment Clem is destroying.

2) There could be an isolated system involved.

3) Why are the recievers connected to the roof with co-ax cable?  Nobody has used that dinosaur stuff in 20 years, it doesn't have a DTR (data transmission rate) that could carry even the simplest matrix activity.  Moves like a dead turtle.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #895 on: <05-04-15/1053:33> »
If that means searching for a hidden node that is going to be pretty hard without the electronic warfare skill I need to pick up.  The threshold for that is 15+ and I am starting with 7d6 and losing one every time for the extended test.  I have two edge remaining so that can help.  Having realized this I will edit the post to be looking for the node after crashing the system.
« Last Edit: <05-04-15/1123:13> by Mercy Merchant »

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #896 on: <05-04-15/1148:33> »
Isolated  is not the same as hidden.  Isolated means that physically there is no equipment connecting the system to the matrix.  You will have to locate the system itself and plug into it.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #897 on: <05-04-15/1326:38> »
So we send O'Connor in and after he cleared out the location of any living occupants, we go in and tear the place appart looking for old hardware.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #898 on: <05-04-15/2105:54> »
Yeah, looks like whomever is inside is not responding to the equipment being taken offline, so I think Clem and Snow will just have to get down and go inside.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #899 on: <05-05-15/0000:15> »
LOL  All for that.  I need more practice and training for more matrix actions.