NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings-Horizon

• 2029 Replies

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #510 on: <12-18-14/2347:16> »
Oops.  I forgot to change the color of my last paragraph of my IC post back to black.  Sorry about that.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #511 on: <12-19-14/1039:56> »
To explain Pito and how it will work in the game I first have to let you know some stuff that you may not know about your characters right now.  This is stuff that your characters are doing, because you aren’t dead and you don’t want me constantly harassing you with the penalties for not doing things that should be as natural as breathing in the Sixth World.

Even if you are technically inept you understand that commlinks are how you successfully operate in the Sixth World and use them almost unconsciously.  What is normal for your characters would resemble one of those a-hole urban types that are always on their smart phones today for us in real life.  You all have subscription feeds to electronic magazines or shows.  You also understand the “rules” for mode operation.  You switch modes all the time because you mostly need the anonymity of the Hidden Mode, but don’t need the attention that ghosting all the time gets you so you reluctantly push it to Passive, while the rest of the sheep run around in Active.

To understand how things work in LA, imagine an insecure hyperactive social media obsessed teenager from the popular crowd in school who happens a reality TV fan.  Now understand that is the absolute minimal baseline.  If you are not in Active mode you are always noticeable, broadcasting and advertising your presence is the only way to blend in, preferably with content.

This is about the best way I can explain it.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #512 on: <12-20-14/0513:40> »
Which is why I have two commlinks.  One with all the runner stuff, hidden and running the best protective software money can buy (ergonomic, optimized analyse rating 6), and one for my public profile, which I put on active, passive or whatever is needed.  This has almost nothing on it, except my fake SIN, my P2 stuff and those subscriptions you mentioned.  All the stuff to look like a Joe (or Jane in my case) wageslave.  If we're on a run and we have to start getting sneaky, the second commlink simply goes off.

This was suggested to me by my GM back when I first started playing Shadowrun (way too many years ago) and I've kept to it ever since.

EDIT: we might need something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNyTqIsrk0w
« Last Edit: <12-20-14/0526:43> by farothel »
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #513 on: <12-20-14/1415:59> »
I took that hint from you in an earlier post and have done that as well.  My Pito stuff is loaded on one of my secondary commlinks to keep it separated from the team 'link I carry inside my head.  So what sort of pic and things are safe to upload on this thing?  I have read the book that Crossbow sent us and have some ideas, but you seem to know a lot about it and I could use the advice.

I do hoe to have my approved character sheet back soon so it can be posted.  Apparently I messed up the formatting and Crossbow, our generous and fun-loving GM, is being kind enough to fix it for me.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #514 on: <12-20-14/1625:49> »
Just so it is said, I am looking for time to give to this game, but there is a lot of family stuff I am doing too, it being the Christmas holiday and all so.  Feel free to keep on me just also understand I got a wife and kids to keep happy too.  :)

Some things to consider, since I have a second, beyond the backup comms, there was a suggestion in one of the sources about changing your looks for broadcast, this is a good idea even if you aren't broadcasting yourself, since you will likely appear in others' feeds.

I will get to peoples contact checks the next time I am on, promise.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #515 on: <12-20-14/1649:48> »
no worries.  I'll be gone from the 26st to the 4th of January myself without internet access (they don't have WiFi in the middle of the Ocean apparently :) ), so it won't be a problem if things went slower during that period.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #516 on: <12-20-14/1952:48> »
That sounds like a nice vacation.  My next big one is a week in Disney World next June.  Love Mickey and all the rest.  Taking a bunch with us this time, so it should be loads of fun.  Yeah, I was told to say that.

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #517 on: <12-20-14/2200:40> »
If you're bring a kid along, tell the attendants that (s)he has ADHD. It'll get you to the head of the line.
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #518 on: <12-22-14/1844:13> »
Okay, Snow will get a text back about Vory contacts in LA.  Simply put, there aren't any.  What little presence they had in the area was wiped out by unlucky geography (it's under water now), there are a few long haul smugglers that are based here that also work the ports in Vladivostok, and a few ethnic Russian who know to pay lip service, but no real presence.  Instead of getting contacts, she is going to be tasked by the higher ups to be making some.  There is also a collection or two to be made or at least a word of reminder made.

Did anyone else have any contact business to take care of?  I looked for Sammy touching base with it just seemed like pleasantries.

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #519 on: <12-22-14/1902:59> »
Nothing for Clem.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #520 on: <12-22-14/2156:54> »
In past posts, O'Connor's made overtures to Darrell about the timetables and progress of the weapons he's commissioned. I never got anything back in way of a response, but that isn't immedient. It's just something I need you not to forget about, O'Connor's already dropped 3K for a down payment on that MG.
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #521 on: <12-23-14/0015:54> »
Thank you for the Vory information.  I guess Snow has her work cut out for her.  The other thing she tried to do was contact that air marshal to see if he was interested in a get together to discuss how she could better handle her system.

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #522 on: <12-23-14/1032:17> »
Sam doesn't have any contacts with LA connections, unfortunately, so there's not really much for him to do in that regard.
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #523 on: <12-23-14/1149:43> »
Okay, Snow will get a text back about Vory contacts in LA.  Simply put, there aren't any.  What little presence they had in the area was wiped out by unlucky geography (it's under water now), there are a few long haul smugglers that are based here that also work the ports in Vladivostok, and a few ethnic Russian who know to pay lip service, but no real presence.  Instead of getting contacts, she is going to be tasked by the higher ups to be making some.  There is also a collection or two to be made or at least a word of reminder made.

Did anyone else have any contact business to take care of?  I looked for Sammy touching base with it just seemed like pleasantries.

At the moment I'm just going to put the contacts I have in LA into my P2 network for my new account, as a way to get the network going.  but nothing more at the moment.  First get settled in, then we'll see.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #524 on: <12-24-14/0258:45> »
I was just going through the character sheets again and I noticed that Sam knows Russian.  He should be able to read Snow's arm tats that are visible when she is wearing the tee shirt.  Each phrase encircles the middle of her upper arm.  The one on the right arm consists of three lines of script and reads "Honor is the only thing remaining when all else is stripped from you."  The one on the left arm consists of two lines of script and reads "Family is the bond that holds the soul together."

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to all of you.  I hope all of you arrive home safely from wherever your travels take you.  Peace.