NEWS

Megacorp Armies, Extraterritoriality, & The Police

• 58 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #45 on: <12-17-11/0915:11> »
First meeting of the Corporate Court:  "We don't want to have to take out the trash.  Unless we're paid for it."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #46 on: <12-17-11/1351:32> »
*hunts*
*hunts*
*hunts*
*hunts*
*hunts*

... THERE it is.

The two Golden Rules of the corporate court, which really means the only two rules for the corporations:

Quote from: Corporate Shadowfiles, 2e, p.100.
  • Don't try to overthrow a national government unless you can get away with it.
          Corps tend to frown on knocking over governments, because bringing down a government means that somebody gets stuck dealing with garbage collection and other background noise.  Taking care of such minutiae in lieu of a legitimate government distracts the corps from their manifest destiny of making grotesque amounts of nuyen.
  • If you break it (or geek it), pay for it.
          If another corp can prove that you "wastefully" expended some of their assets by blowing up their lab or killing their people or whatever, you have to pay them a sum equal to the replacement cost of the assets.

Translated: Don't knock over a gov, subvert them.  Exhibit A: MCT and the Tsimshian government, allowing MCT to utterly strip Tsimshian lands of everything useful and turn the place into toxic hell before waving good-bye and leaving the government to simultaneously collapse and be overthrown.

Translated: Use somebody deniable to wreck, steal, kill, or otherwise waste another corp's assets.  Exhibit B: Shadowrunners.  "Oh, hell no, that wasn't us, Corporate Court Investigator, sir.  It looks like it was some of those pesky criminals.  BeanieBaby Inc. must have really pissed them off when they stopped producing Samurai Rabbit ..."  The key word up there is, of course, prove.  Make it unprovable, put enough distance between you and the people you hire, and you're golden.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <12-17-11/1355:32> »
Simple question here, that I'm quite sure will come up in my campaign relatively soon, so I want to head it off at the pass: How would a PLEC (Private Law Enforcement Company) like Knight Errant or Lone Star react to armed action by a Megacorp like S-K or Renraku going off their private property to perform armed action, such as retrieving something stolen by Runners?

I'm sure we can safely assume nobody gives a fuck about the Barrens, but what about in the more civilized parts of the Sprawl, where people actually pay rent and can walk around with minimal chances of getting mugged and/or killed and sold to organleggers?

The question isn't exactly how those Law Enforcement Companies will react, it's more like if the AAA, AA or A level megacorporations will actually care, but then I would have them send out their strike forces just like Renraku did to your main character in the old Sega Genesis video game.  8) ::)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #48 on: <12-17-11/1356:18> »
BeanieBaby Inc. must have really pissed them off when they stopped producing Samurai Rabbit ..."  The key word up there is, of course, prove.  Make it unprovable, put enough distance between you and the people you hire, and you're golden.
Wait...  They stopped making Samurai Rabbit?

BURN THE HERETICS!!!  EVERYONE GRAB A PITCHFORK AND FOLLOW ME!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #49 on: <12-17-11/1610:52> »
The question isn't exactly how those Law Enforcement Companies will react, it's more like if the AAA, AA or A level megacorporations will actually care, but then I would have them send out their strike forces just like Renraku did to your main character in the old Sega Genesis video game.  8) ::)

I must point out that Knight Errant is a subsidiary of the AAA corp Ares. ;)

Anyway; the way I decided to handle it in such a way that corporate assets have the right to carry around military-grade equipment, since its licensed, but its appreciated when they're not "obvious" about it, and getting loud and messy is generally frowned on. Active fire-fights, they'll probably try to drop everyone with Stick'n'Shocks and Flashbangs and sort it out later. Fait Accompli will be dealt with on a basis of "how much of a mess are we left to deal with", tempered by things like who appears to have started the violence first.

For example, I ran "Food Fight" for my massively-too-powerful-for-the-module characters, just to get everyone settled in. After all the fireworks settle down Knight Errant, basically, gave them a pass once all their IDs and licenses checked out. This was, of course, helped by the fact that the two surviving hit-men admitted to the bombing that set things off, which meant that the group was acting in legitimate self defense.

The fact that they happened to have a perfectly legal mini-gun mounted in a concealed turret in their armored SUV to help them defend themselves* is just the thugs' bad luck.

*I think dealing 30+ Physical damage to someone with 10-box track qualifies as "defenstrated", yes+? Also, probably "cut in half" as well.

+Apparently not.
« Last Edit: <12-18-11/0322:36> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <12-17-11/1732:01> »
How about.... obliterated?
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #51 on: <12-17-11/1849:04> »
To be defenestrated, one must be thrown off a high place -- a roof, an upper-story window, something like that.  Technically, you could be defenestrated off a ship mast or tree ... but not by a minigun cutting you in half, as it were.

Well, unless it blew you off the building.  Then your parts would have been defenestrated.  Probably not the cause of death, though ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #52 on: <12-17-11/1903:58> »
Trolls are good at Defenestration.  Sometimes they can hit the building on the other side of the street.

Poor Jeb in Accounting...  He still jitters at any wiggle in the windows.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #53 on: <12-17-11/2056:03> »
One of my favorite spells in D&D is 'Defenestrating Sphere'. Throws you up in the air, and you fall back down. Or you hit the ceiling and fall back down. And if there is a window in range of the spell, it AUTOMATICALLY throws you at it.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #54 on: <12-17-11/2105:06> »
I think I need a "Wreck:  Window" spell now...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <12-18-11/0235:07> »
I think I need a "Wreck:  Window" spell now...

Wreck: NERPS!
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <12-18-11/0709:40> »
Wreck NERPS?

NERPS?!

NEVER!!!

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #57 on: <12-19-11/0430:52> »
The two Golden Rules of the corporate court, which really means the only two rules for the corporations:
There are actually three rules, the third one, "Don't go at war" being in the next column in Corporate Shadowfiles, page 100, and in Corporate Download, page 22.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #58 on: <12-19-11/1351:05> »
There are actually three rules, the third one, "Don't go at war" being in the next column in Corporate Shadowfiles, page 100, and in Corporate Download, page 22.
"War is bad for business."  "*Cough*."  "War between Corporations is bad for business.  Sorry Representative of Ares."  "'Salright."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11