NEWS

Jackpoint access

• 48 Replies

Flycatcher

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <01-28-11/1703:46> »
Also, /dev/grrl is old enough to provide medical supervision for long-term VR, but young enough to need a babysitter. I'd estimate 10-12 years old.

I don't know about Vice, but in Corporate Guide Pistons specifically mentions /dev/grrl's age as 16:

Quote from: Pistons; Corporate Guide, page 35
"C'mon, Sticks! She's sixteen! Her idea of "entertainment" isn't nearly as depraved as yours!"

It's a little too old to need a babysitter, but she's definitely old enough that I could see her holding her own as a 'runner. Also, given how coddled kids are in the corporate world, it doesn't surprise me too much that her parents are the over-protective sort.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <01-28-11/1821:18> »
Good point. Also, in the story the parents were out of town for about a week, so maybe they felt a sitter was necessary even for a teen. Or maybe it was just courtesy of the corp. :)

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <02-01-11/0156:53> »
Of course, who thinks in MilSpec Tech, dev/grrl kinda....got into some real trouble? As in, maybe flat-line type trouble?

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <02-01-11/0359:36> »
Nah, she's probably just making a conspiracy theory joke, like all the old hackers who would(*&(#^LJKjlkjj

CARRIER LOST

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <02-01-11/0435:14> »
Nah, she's probably just making a conspiracy theory joke, like all the old hackers who would(*&(#^LJKjlkjj

CARRIER LOST

I might have thought that...if not for the followup by another jackpointer...

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #35 on: <02-01-11/0626:22> »
She actually doesn't comment at all in the rest of the book, but I think she's just nursing some fried synapses and a wicked nosebleed.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #36 on: <02-01-11/0849:25> »
Mechanically speaking, she got enough damage to fill the whole Stun track, and around half of the Physical track. That would make her quiet for a few days at least.
And I really hope she'll be okay, as I've grown to like that character. Especially by the nickname.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <02-01-11/0951:04> »
Mechanically speaking, she got enough damage to fill the whole Stun track, and around half of the Physical track. That would make her quiet for a few days at least.
And I really hope she'll be okay, as I've grown to like that character. Especially by the nickname.

Why? the grrrl part of it? As in, a teenager who is actually not at all shame to self-out herself? I admit, I do like her, but for the
fact that she brings a bit of fresh air to the whole bunch of old timers who make up alot of the Jackpointers. Do you think, though,
she has learned that when the old timers warn you to be careful of something....you should be careful?

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #38 on: <02-01-11/1001:40> »
After something like that? Who wouldn't? :P
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <02-01-11/1008:58> »
After something like that? Who wouldn't? :P

A teenager?

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #40 on: <02-10-11/0843:45> »
*bump*

Two issues:
A) What if you're a PC who is continually spending Street Cred to pay off notoriety? We have runners in the group with 90 Karma earned (Street Cred =9), but have paid off their notoriety (Spirit Bane, Deal with Dragon etc) so they're back to Street Cred = 1.

They're Solid operators who don't want a negative rep. Seems like exactly the sort of runners that JackPoint would benefit from, but you can't just use Street Cred as a measure.

B) you can always donate intel. Any decent shadowrunner should have heard of Jackpoint, and any decent fixer should know how to get messages to at least a forum member or two. So why not donate some data to the cause? Think of it as an application fee that will at least get your name introduced for potential vetting.

In our campaign, I'm playing a Free Spirit (who obviously can't read frickin AR/VR, so is still trying to find some workaround to get a working eMail account), so FastJack received a notification through a fixer that he had a typed-up data-dump awaiting pickup at his convenience. Free Spirit in question is still building enough cred to pass the fastJack vetting process, but hopes to get into the elite group one day :)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <02-18-11/0433:27> »
If you're paying off a lot of Notoriety, you might be a solid operator now, but you have a bad rep behind you that you've just barely been able to put behind you. Now you've got a clean slate, but if you want people to actually take you seriously, you'll need to continue the progress by earning more credibility. (Pretty much how it works in the real world too. Far too many people clean up their act just to slide back into bad old habits. You've got to go beyond just balancing the books for now.)

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #42 on: <02-18-11/0815:03> »
If you're paying off a lot of Notoriety, you might be a solid operator now, but you have a bad rep behind you that you've just barely been able to put behind you. Now you've got a clean slate, but if you want people to actually take you seriously, you'll need to continue the progress by earning more credibility. (Pretty much how it works in the real world too. Far too many people clean up their act just to slide back into bad old habits. You've got to go beyond just balancing the books for now.)
Yes and no. There are some fairly dodgy operators on the JackPoint books...
- Clockwork will sell his soul for the right amount (even to Aztech)
- Lyran I believe works closely with dragons
- Kane is a psycho with an unmentionable bodycount

I'm just saying some of these runners have good street cred, but big notoriety as well.
If a runner is willing to sacrifice the cred to take down the notoriety, why should they be looked on as any less of a candidate for access?
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #43 on: <02-18-11/0827:03> »
And there's even more to that. I believe that for example Slamm-O! has a decent Notoriety. :)

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <03-02-11/0457:18> »
Personally, as a GM, if my players wanted to hang out with the cool people at Jackpoint, they would need to have something to offer.

Judging from the books most of the JP users are very knowledgable in more than one area, they are often either the people describinb situations and/or locations, or they are the ones with connections to people who can do it.

So thats what I would require of my players, for FJ to want them on JP, they would need to know something of importance, and not just a single time data-dump, but a topic which would regularly be important.

In game terms, I would expert the character(s) to have a high rating in a specific (and otherwise rarely used) knowledge skill (aka, they would have to "waste" karma on it), alternatively a specialized high rating etiquette skill.

Secondly - then I could see myself expecting some sort of write-up about the subject - be it a new location not covered in SR books, a AA corporation not detailed, details about a conspiracy or anything similar.

I think most of the JP users are simply there due to connections and knowledge, and thats what I would expect from from characters wanting to join. Bring something to the table, have a lasting value to add to the usergroup.
-Frag you and the hog you rode in on.