NEWS

a little help here.

• 22 Replies

DoubleTap

• Newb
« on: <03-02-12/2013:54> »
Ok, one of my players playing a troll, with near maxed out augmented body, and strength, wants you man carry a light auto cannon.  Now this guy is both a rules lawyer and munchkin.  Other then a simple Hell no, what game mechanics can I use to stop this?
always Double Tap.
I'm a engineer if I cant fix it I can damn sure break it. (SSG Brown 12B osut instructor)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <03-02-12/2017:20> »
Other than trying to figure out a way to hide said weapon?  Or the effects if he ever uses it?

If it's ever used, that's a big increase in the "Find the Terrorist-Shadowrunners PDQ" sent out on every Security and Metroplex Guard freq possible.

And, remember, there'll at least be one camera that catches him doing it, with a big reward to the owner of said camera when they provide it's footage.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-02-12/2024:58> »
Like a panther cannon? That's kind of like par for course for trolls...I get nervous when I don't see a troll with a panther cannon, means the troll's probably really angry.

Seriously though...troll carrying a panther cannon is an iconic image of shadowrun.

The issues that the troll faces are;

1. Needs Heavy Weapon skill and suffers from double Recoil modifiers.

2. Not easily concealable, even on a troll, hehe.

3. Mustaches are incompatible with assault cannons without taking the Quality MegaMagnum.

4. Having one on one's person is like setting up a booth to deal cocaine at a DEA conference. You stick out and the authorities really really really would like to have a word with you.

...unless I'm missing something, of course. Which, I'm sure, if I am, then someone will quickly point out my errors. :)
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

DoubleTap

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-02-12/2052:56> »
more like, a light auto cannon usally mounted on IFV's.  when i think that hard ware i'm thinking of the 300+ pound 25MM from the bradley .  Yes I've had to crew one.  Despite me trying to point out that you can't conceal it, and its would probably put  you on the top ten, he still wants to do it.
always Double Tap.
I'm a engineer if I cant fix it I can damn sure break it. (SSG Brown 12B osut instructor)

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-02-12/2106:46> »
more like, a light auto cannon usally mounted on IFV's.  when i think that hard ware i'm thinking of the 300+ pound 25MM from the bradley .  Yes I've had to crew one.  Despite me trying to point out that you can't conceal it, and its would probably put  you on the top ten, he still wants to do it.

He's a troll. They're huge and could probably handle the thing. The "top ten" thing would really be going way overboard though.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-02-12/2136:26> »
more like, a light auto cannon usally mounted on IFV's.  when i think that hard ware i'm thinking of the 300+ pound 25MM from the bradley .

At this point then...which specific weapon is the player saying he wants his troll to have?

[edit for more text]

Because: If the player says "I want an auto cannon" and is thinking of the panther cannon out of SR4A and the GM is thinking a 25mm cannon off a Bradley...we'll there's the issue.
« Last Edit: <03-02-12/2138:22> by Fizzygoo »
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <03-03-12/0107:00> »
Well, if he cuts down the barrel, and deals with a limited ammo amount, and a drekpot of recoil, let him have his little toy.

Then find out just how many toys the Metroplex Guard have when he first opens up with it.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #7 on: <03-03-12/0156:09> »
I actually think the guy's probably wanting to use the GE Vigilant Light Autocannon listed in Arsenal, P123-124, since it's the only "Light Autocannon" I've seen. If that's so I, frankly, say let him have it, and much joy to him. Shadowrun massively undersells the stopping power of automatic weapons and, based on the things stats, the Vigilant is nothing more than a .50cal HMG with a Minigun upgrade that's been given its proper stats.

The global standard for HMGs today is the Browning M2, which fires the same round as the modern Barrett .50-cal rifle and was, in fact, so good at long range that its battlefield performance was the inspiration for the more dedicated .50-cal sharpshooter weapons. In Shadowrun, though, all HMGs do 7P DV -3 AP, while the Barrett rifle does 9P DV -4 AP. Meeting in the middle with 8P DV -4 AP seems fair to me.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-03-12/0208:17> »
I actually think the guy's probably wanting to use the GE Vigilant Light Autocannon listed in Arsenal, P123-124, since it's the only "Light Autocannon" I've seen. If that's so I, frankly, say let him have it, and much joy to him. Shadowrun massively undersells the stopping power of automatic weapons and, based on the things stats, the Vigilant is nothing more than a .50cal HMG with a Minigun upgrade that's been given its proper stats.

The global standard for HMGs today is the Browning M2, which fires the same round as the modern Barrett .50-cal rifle and was, in fact, so good at long range that its battlefield performance was the inspiration for the more dedicated .50-cal sharpshooter weapons. In Shadowrun, though, all HMGs do 7P DV -3 AP, while the Barrett rifle does 9P DV -4 AP. Meeting in the middle with 8P DV -4 AP seems fair to me.

Meh, just say 'screw it' and give him a Vanquisher :)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-03-12/0225:53> »
I actually think the guy's probably wanting to use the GE Vigilant Light Autocannon listed in Arsenal, P123-124, since it's the only "Light Autocannon" I've seen.

SR4A pg 320: "Panther XXL: This enormous assault cannon fires special ammunition common to the primary weapon in many small tanks. It comes with a smartgun system." Stats listed on pg 321 under "Assault Cannon."

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #10 on: <03-03-12/0307:48> »
SR4A pg 320: "Panther XXL: This enormous assault cannon fires special ammunition common to the primary weapon in many small tanks. It comes with a smartgun system." Stats listed on pg 321 under "Assault Cannon."

That is not, however, a "light auto cannon", which is specifically what Doubletap's player was asking for.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mercer

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <03-03-12/1233:22> »
Years ago I had a player of a human street sam who wanted his main weapon to be the HMG from the Street Samurai Guide.  When I mentioned that it was a bigger weapon than most people who carry around he looked at the description and said, "But it says it's 'man-portable'."

Some people just like the big boom.  If they're trying to carry it into the meet, yeah, it's a problem.  But if they leave it in the van and only get it out for the big runs it's not that big a deal.  One thing I've always done is let trolls treat weapons as if they were lighter.  They use the same skill as everyone else and there's no mechanical change, but the way a troll uses a machine gun is how  a human would use an assault rifle; an assault rifle is used like an SMG, an SMG like a machine pistol, a heavy pistol like a hold-out, and so on.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-03-12/1458:43> »
If he does in fact want to carry around a Main Gun, look no further than the Weapon Mount rules for Heavy Turrets, which require a minimum body of 14 on the vehicle in question. If he doesn't have 14 Body, he can't carry it around like a normal weapon.

And if he really went through the trouble  to hit 14 Body, Then he's freaking massive anyway. I say let him have the gun and suffer the consequences of actually using such a thing. Plus give everybody a +2 bonus to hit him, as per the advanced rules in Arsenal for size of your target.

You could also figure out what one weighs, then use the lift and carry rules to see if he can wield it. A character can lift and carry Strength*10 kilograms without a test, so if he really did max out at 15 Strength, then he can carry 150 kilos without a test. If the gun weighs more than that, make him do a Body+Strength test every time he tries to pick it up. Don't forget to double all uncompensated recoil either, and since its a Minigun, that beast has a Recoil of -14. Also add in the -2 penalty for Misfit Weapon Size, and consider the 'Carrying Heavy Weapons' advanced rule from Arsenal that would have him resisting half the damage of his shots from the kickback.

Once you start laying down the law on all these penalties he's taking to use this thing, it'll rapidly seem not worth it.
« Last Edit: <03-03-12/1517:47> by Ryo »

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #13 on: <03-04-12/0011:49> »
with a 14 Body and close/equivalent Strength, it would still be feasible. He'd average 9 hits on the Strength+Body test, and mods could lower the Recoil to reasonable levels, say -4 (-8 after doubling). Then he's averaging 5 hits to resist kickback from Body alone as well. You wouldnt be as awesome as GI Joe's Roadblock, but maybe Heavy Duty.

Edit: recoil number assumed you could add a Stock/Shockpad, Underbarrel Weight, Gas Vent 3, Harness, and the recoil comp from Strength 14-15.
« Last Edit: <03-04-12/0015:57> by ArkangelWinter »

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <03-04-12/0357:15> »

That is not, however, a "light auto cannon", which is specifically what Doubletap's player was asking for.

Gotcha, I see where I failed to make the distinction. In light of this, I would say no then, since the GE Vigilant light autocannon is a vehicle weapon which "are not intended for use by even the strongest metahuman, either because of their size, bulky support equipment, or massive recoil." (AR 123). A GE Vindicator Minigun (AR 29) would give the character the same look, style, as the Vigilant or an Assault Cannon for better punch (10P vs the 8P on the Vigilant) but at reduced (SS) rate of fire.

But if the player said they wanted to use a Vigilant mounted on a reinforced troll-sized granny-walker and wheel it around with them...sure; but the walker costs extra at Geriatrics-r-Us. :) (or any other specialized modification + cost to allow for the vehicle weapon to used hand-held or semi-hand-held. And Ryo's suggestions make for a great basis on that ruling).

In Shadowrun, though, all HMGs do 7P DV -3 AP, while the Barrett rifle does 9P DV -4 AP. Meeting in the middle with 8P DV -4 AP seems fair to me.

Based on the damage values and AP alone, I would agree with you, but it's the additional stat that HMGs can fire at FA, the Barret only at SA, and the autocannon fires at FA+ (or FA-Minigun) rates that makes me think the 8P, -4 AP, FA+ isn't exactly in the middle; given that having the option to lay down 30 rounds per phase from a 200 round belt at a modified 12P, -4 AP is, well, a very handy option to have.

Though with some thoughtful modifications/gyroscope hip mount/etc, I wouldn't have too much of a problem letting a player have something like this but just so they know, once the enemy is aware of the autocannon armed troll they'll probably feel the the fastest and most efficient way to deal with the target is with a medium range missile or two from aerial combat drones or snipers or bring in the spirits or all three. Only the most idiotic BTL-slotting gangers are going to do a frontal assault on the troll. Everyone else is going to do their best not to call attention to themselves and wait to target a kill shot on the troll before engaging anyone else on the troll's team (save maybe the team's mage riding Master-Blaster style on the back of the autocannon armed troll, of course).