NEWS

A question from a new GM regarding SR4 to SR5

• 32 Replies

Cogliostro

• Newb
« on: <04-30-13/1938:56> »
Greetings GMs! I am glad to be here and have found these forums. I have been interested in GMing Shadowrun for several of my friends. I tried running a couple of sessions before and they had a blast. I need to do a lot more reading into the core rulebook, Seattle 2072, and a few other books that have been noted in other posts so I can get a better handle on the game and the world so I can run it with a little more finesse. But as I read through the forums I came across something that has been nagging me, and so I ask all of you who have experience with Shadowrun the following:

I noticed that Shadowrun 5th Edition is slated to be released this summer. Being that I, and my friends are new to the game, is it worth investing in SR4? I know that SR5 isn't out yet, but being that there have been 4 editions of the core rules, and they have obviously changed over the years, I was looking to get some insight to the trends on how things change, and if getting committed to SR4 is a good idea or not with the pending release of 5th edition.

I thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and any feedback is always greatly appreciated.

Resk

• Newb
  • Snap! I always wanted to do that.
« Reply #1 on: <04-30-13/1946:21> »
As a GM, if you're brand new to Shadowrun, it is probably best to wait for SR5. This is mostly because there are bound to be some rule changes that, if you were to learn SR4, you would need to unlearn in a short amount of time.

That being said, I think another factor is how much you want to get into the Shadowrun universe as a whole for your campaign. If you want a deep-rooted story campaign with many plot hooks from the existing universe, knowing the universe (and using the SR4 books) is probably a good route to take. If its more of a simple "see what the universe has to offer" kind of campaign, you could probably make due with picking up a couple 20th Ani. SR4s if you want to get into the rulest without having to wait a few months.

Personally, even though SR5 is coming out, I intend to still run SR4 campaigns mostly due to the time needed to get up to speed on SR5 rules. I probably won't run an SR5 campaign until the end of year/early next year.
Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-30-13/2142:59> »
I've played since the first edition through the various changes. The switch from 1st to 2nd edition made the rules from 1st ed useless. It was a pretty big change over in many ways. The switch from 2nd to 3rd was much easier as 3rd was more of a refinement on 2ed rules. I found the switch from 3rd to 4th to be similar in scope of 1st to 2nd making most, if not all the rules from 3rd useless. So if things hold true to form, the switch from 4th to 5th will be like 2nd to 3rd, more of a refinement than a rewrite and we'll be able to use much of the splat books and such.
However, just about all the books contain useful fluff for making the SR world live for your players. In that respect there are no useless books and I'll still refer to older books for fluff materials.
As a new GM though, you are probably better waiting for the 5th edition. However, if you decide to get the 4th ed stuff, it will probably be awhile before the equivalent expansion books for 5th are available. Right now you can play the full game with all the supplements. It will be quite awhile I imagine before a 5th ed. Arsenal or Augmentation for example is available. You could grab the core book bundle from DriveThruRPG as a PDF set for 4th ed and see how you like it.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #3 on: <04-30-13/2244:47> »
Yeah, they've told us there isn't a revolutionary remake of the core mechanics this edition, so you can feel confident that learning the core 4th edition mechanics isn't a complete waste of time. And playing any edition is valuable experience for you and your players getting used to the world and the shadowrunner job. Probaly don't want to invest too much time in learning the Matrix rules, since there seems some major change being put in place, with the return of decks and all.

As has been mentioned, you're best focusing on fluff. The Seattle guide is a great place to start. I'd take a look at the 2nd and 3rd edition Seattle guides as well. I've gotten a huge amount of shadowrun ideas from those books alone. SR novels are good too, but the quality of the writing can vary highly. Nyx Smith, Stephen Kenson, and Nigel Findley are really really good.

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #4 on: <05-01-13/0557:13> »
The best way to get a grip of the setting is to read the novels.  There are quite a few of them, and they're both fun and short reads.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Cogliostro

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-01-13/1325:50> »
Thank you all very much for your input. Along with going over what you all posted and doing some additional research, I do plan on holding off game sessions until after the release of fifth edition, but it will give me a lot of time to read much of the additional material you've noted here. I do believe a world can only be as much fun as the life you breathe into it. Again I can't thank you all enough for your support and input.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-02-13/0539:36> »
If your players are eager to play, I would advise you to start with SR4A and play now. By waiting you only risk them to loose interest. Then when SR5 is out it will be time to shift to SR5.

However, no need to by all the crunch books, you can really play with only the SR4A core rulebook (which I understand you already have) and by only background books from SR4 (location books like Seattle72, Runner's heavens, etc and plot books like clutch of dragons, dirty tricks, storm front).
That way, except SR4A core rulebooks, all other books will still be usable with SR5 (they contain little to no rule based information)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <05-02-13/0904:59> »
Good idea, since if you only play with SR4a, it makes the switch to SR5 easier.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #8 on: <05-02-13/0954:49> »
Let's not forget that there is no rush to switch to SR5.  Just like we aren't all using Windows 8, we don't absolutely have to switch to SR5 immediately upon release.  I used D&D 3.5 for years after 4e came out... as in I've never switched to 4e.  It's not technology, there's no rush to be cutting edge.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Cogliostro

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <05-02-13/1324:21> »
I read the blogs posted about 5th edition, checked out the preview (though it didn't show anything in terms of gameplay), and I do like the changes they're talked about so far. In terms of waiting, none of my players had an issue with it when I brought the idea up to them. We have a sort of unique situation that we aren't really invested in particular game or edition of Shadowrun at this time, so I think waiting and giving 5th edition a shot is still the best course of action. It will also give us all some time to do some reading and familiarize ourselves with the world of Shadowrun (me more than anyone else as I've already read one of the novels, am tearing through Seattle 2072 and getting more novels to read). The worst that happens is we absolutely hate 5th edition, and then dive back into 4th, being that we've played it a few times before and always had fun. Had 5th ed. been planned for release in say, 4th quarter of the year, then I would be much more gung ho about getting the game going sooner, but all we really know about 5th edition is what the developers have released about it. Shadowrun is a fun game that seems to be extremely well developed as well as having a very immersive world, and I have no problem putting my time and money towards the core rulebook, even if in the end I don't like it. My players do have ideas for their characters, one being an Adept and another being a Hacker (soon to be changed back to Decker), and with the interesting changes to those two aspects of the game, I think will give them a nice idea as to whether or not they like the older rules vs. the new ones.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <05-02-13/1326:21> »
Since I like running with all the toys that the players already experienced in a short campaign, I'm sticking to 4e until Extended Core is out in 5e, though I've already tossed in a few houserules based on 5e Initiative and Dodge. Wonder how I'll work in skill-progress past rating 6.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #11 on: <05-02-13/1441:24> »
Since I like running with all the toys that the players already experienced in a short campaign, I'm sticking to 4e until Extended Core is out in 5e, though I've already tossed in a few houserules based on 5e Initiative and Dodge. Wonder how I'll work in skill-progress past rating 6.

That's what I intend to do as well.  If I can't use a lot of the sourcebook that offer different equipment and cybernetics (in particular things like Used Car Lot and Arsenal) then I may very well put off getting into 5e until they've gotten a chance to release some more updated material for it.

One question worth considering for your group is "Will we try to update our characters and bring them to 5e, or just make new characters entirely?".  Since the editions are supposed to just be small time jumps.  That's part of why I hope things like cybernetics or certain drones exist between editions (though it's always possible things were lost in the years between).  Anyone know the exact date the new edition is taking place in?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <05-02-13/1447:52> »
Given how they release in summer, I'm assuming June+ 2075 on launch.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <05-02-13/1453:07> »
I'd say 2075 or 76. No official note on that but it makes sense as the current official game year is 2074. Sim Dreams and Nightmares lists the current date as Dec 27, 2074 and as that is the latest book I believe, that should be the latest date.
As for compatibility between editions, I imagine Arsenal and Augmentation should make the shift with little change crunch wise. Most of the guns and vehicles for example, for been in the game in one iteration or another from 1st edition. There has always been an Ares Predator and there has always been an GMC Banshee in the game. I don't see that changing with 5th ed (though if Ares woes continue...).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <05-02-13/1455:32> »
The main issue with firearms would be the new Accuracy system, though. But vehicles should be fine, aside from hopefully a better vehicle-movement system.