NEWS

OOC: Urban Brawl

• 2168 Replies

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« on: <10-20-10/1933:06> »
We've moved over to 5th edition!

Ok, so for those of you that wanted to test out how your new characters did in combat this thread was supposed to be a "battle arena" of sorts but it's now morphed into something else entirely.  It's basically like a one shot shadowrun where we cut straight to the action.  Emphasis is on getting through the run in few IRL weeks.  We've lost some great runners in the line of fire, but UB veterans now have several small runs under their belts and can tell some pretty great anecdotes at their local runner-hangout. 

Even though it's action intensive, all skills will come in handy because sometimes the best way to win is by not even firing off a shot.  This is for all archetypes and I really love when people use a variety of skill, strategy, and teamwork.  Just to warn you though, it can get dangerous, but if it's not dangerous, then it's not shadowrun.

Follow the story so far!
Urban Brawl 1
Urban Brawl 2
Urban Brawl 3
Urban Brawl 4
Urban Brawl 5
Urban Brawl 6
Urban Brawl 7
Urban Brawl 8
Urban Brawl 9
Urban Brawl 10

Character Creation

Create a character with the standard 5th edition rules i.e. 25 karma, normal Nuyen for each priority level, normal Charisma x 3 Karma for contacts.

No matter which scenario we're on, this will always be the OOC thread for UB.  Scenarios that have already finished can be seen on the forums and it says (finished) in their title.

HOUSE RULES: (This list will grow, i'll post updates.  I've scratched a lot of 4e house rules so we're pretty much starting fresh.)

PbP Guidelines and things to keep in mind: (this will grow too)

-- I want rolls to go in the IC thread, yep, that's right, the IC thread.  It should interrupt your In Character dialogue in this format:

[OOC: Hi guys i'm metagaming!]

You see that quote box?   If you're not describing what your character is doing or thinking, then you should use these or put it in the OOC thread.  For example, a question to the game-master would be something that would go in OOC brackets or the OOC thread.

--I want rolls in this format:

Agility 6 + Pistols 6 [Accuracy 5 + Lasersight 1= 6] (12d6.hits(5)=3).

or

Agility 6 + Sneaking 5 [Physical 4] (11d6.hits(5)=4)

So put the limit  with all the limit modifiers inside the square brackets.  I know this is more tedious than 4e but limits are important in the SR5 rules so we gotta keep track of them and I can't be looking at your character sheet to calculate a limit for every die roll.

-- Please link your character to your profile signature.

-- Dialogue should be in quotation marks and color coded: "Hello World"

-- Try not to jump the gun too much...make sure your strategy when you post makes room for a few different outcomes.  For example:  "I'm gonna walk down the hallway and turn the corner and then try the room to the right and here's my lockpicking roll"....this is fine if you're totally ready for me to completely interrupt this action at any point.  Step by step is probably a little bit better....that's why we zero in on the action scenes in UB.  Don't jump the gun on initiative either.

--Interrupt actions are tricky in PbP so i'll say you can interrupt with an action if you declared in advance that you were waiting for something specific.  Once a post goes up though and you didn't declare what you were holding your action for, then we won't go back and change posts to reflect your interrupt.

--  If you don't specifically declare (IC or OOC) in a post that "something" is in a certain "state", then i'll usually just assume for it to be in a "normal" state, the last state it was in, or what i deem for it's state to be.  If you want something in a "special" state, then you have to make it explicit.

Pages where each UB scenario ends:
UB1 Karma rewards
UB2 Karma rewards
UB3 Karma rewards
UB4 Karma rewards
UB5 Karma rewards
UB6 Karma rewards
UB7 Karma rewards
UB8 Karma rewards
UB9 Karma rewards
UB 10 Karma rewards
« Last Edit: <11-06-14/0948:35> by inca1980 »

FoxBoy

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <10-26-10/1225:16> »
I sooo want to throw a fox shapeshifter mage in there JUST for the hilarity it may cause. :)

Announcer: Interception! no... wait! the other team's runner just caught a -pumpkin-! What a mess... he's going to smell like pumpkin pie this thanksgiving Bob. But where did the ball go?! Ah, sneaky! It's already half way to the goal!

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-26-10/1758:26> »
Go for it!

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #3 on: <11-04-10/1848:47> »
Would characters normally reserved for npc play be allowed? like a toxic shaman or insect spirit? Just curious, doubt I'll do it... maybe.  ;D
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

hazmat the monstar

• Chummer
  • www.hazmatthemonstar.com
« Reply #4 on: <11-04-10/2103:05> »
How's this game coming along? Is there still room? I can post 5 days a week, a couple times a day. I can make any character the team might need. I am new to pBp though. I'll Start on a Combat Hacker I think though.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-05-10/0311:43> »
Well, this isn't really a team....it's a dualing arena.  So if you want to fight, just post your character.  For the time being i'll just allow the standard races (human,ork, troll, elf, dwarf) along with metavariants.  I'll also allow changlings and even shapeshifters, but anything else is pretty over-powered.  We also won't mess with insect spirits or blood shamans yet so that people don't get too intimidated and to keep it simple. 

So if you wanna battle, just post your character.

hazmat the monstar

• Chummer
  • www.hazmatthemonstar.com
« Reply #6 on: <11-05-10/1751:40> »
I see. Awesome. I may just try it out.

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #7 on: <11-06-10/1356:41> »
Hi, I would like to make a hacker who is fully immersed (or technomancer) which is better? Also how does this whole forum play thing work? Its my first day.
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-06-10/1400:54> »
I am also really looking to start a team because starting a real game is driving me insane with getting people together and a GM. I like plaaaaying not GMing so its hard, if anyine wants to GM let me know and we can start a game right here! I'd love to see if this works
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-06-10/1457:19> »
Pretty much like table top with a few differences in style to make it work on a forum.  It works well when people are committed to posting but it's no easy thing, especially for the GM....but it's worthit.  I actually enjoy some aspects of it more because imagery has a longer time to sink in, whereas it's harder to be super descriptive in table top because you have to think on the fly more.  Check out the thread "Road to Redmond IC" which is a game in progress if you want to observe an example of PbP. 

This thread though is not for a game per say, it's for arena battles.  If you gotta a character, as soon as we get two characters we'll start a battle between them.  I'll make up the arena topography and I'll GM the fight.
« Last Edit: <11-06-10/1502:14> by inca1980 »

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <11-06-10/1502:21> »
Do you think I could get in on a game sometime? I love shadowrun and want to play whenever I can!
HACK THE PLANET

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-06-10/1504:42> »
Once Road to Redmond finishes up, then maybe we'll have room for another.  The players who are currently in Road to Redmond get first dibs, but after that you can definitely join up.  I would start another Shadowrun, but it's a lot of work so the only other thing i'll GM is the Urban Brawl Arena if people post characters and want to get that started. 

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <11-06-10/1511:14> »
Oh yea I could totally see that. What is going on in that by the way?
HACK THE PLANET

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-06-10/1627:34> »
Just read through it post by post.  It almost never jumps to the OOC thread so it should read a lot like a table-top shadowrun.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-05-10/2133:25> »
Ok, i'm just gonna start this off for the first person that posts a character to run this quick battle.  You can create anything you want and use stealth, combat, whatever.  400 BP standard creation rules along with any sourcebook, and then i'll approve char.  You've been hired to retrieve a little 10 year old elven girl by the name of Tabby.  She's guarded by two hell hounds.  The crates in the warehouse are 4 m high and she's in the office.  Get her out alive and you get 10 Karma along with 10,000 nuyen to be used in future battles.  I'll GM the scene and you can ask any questions you want and be as clever as you want.  Just use a string and put it up to your monitor and compare to ruler to determine distances.

« Last Edit: <12-05-10/2135:20> by inca1980 »