NEWS

Considering SR20A to run classic adventures

• 3 Replies

Gmanjkd

• Newb
« on: <02-02-22/1417:35> »
Hello, Im considering using SR20A with the 2050 book to run the classic adventures from 1e through 3e.  Starting with Mercurial and working my way through 1e, 2e, 3e and then into the 4e adventures.

Would SR20A + 2050 book work for this task?

Why or why not?

Thanks

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <02-02-22/1813:40> »
You'll have to do a fair bit of work in translating the older edition adventures to 4e rule set. But the 2050 book will help give you a frame work to start with.

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Gmanjkd

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-02-22/1837:53> »
Thanks very much for the reply.  Im hoping that all i would need to do is transplant 1e but spirit to 4e bug spirit, 1e network to 4e/20A network etc.  I may be being overly optimistic but at least now i know that it is possible.

Thanks again.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <02-02-22/1905:17> »
Thanks very much for the reply.  Im hoping that all i would need to do is transplant 1e but spirit to 4e bug spirit, 1e network to 4e/20A network etc.  I may be being overly optimistic but at least now i know that it is possible.

Thanks again.

very optimistic :D

There are fundamental changes to the core rules and mechanics that have dramatically changed through the editions.

From floating target numbers, to how cyberware works, to dice pool calculations.... every edition has tweaked and changed things.
So much so that SR 1e and SR5 (let alone 6e!) are entirely different animals.

I'm not saying you can't do it. Just that its harder then just a simple "stats swap" as how you get to those "stats" have changed. For the really old editions you could be, in effect, just taking the storyline and plot points and then converting everything else to the rules edition of your choice by fundamentally rebuilding every NPC and encounter in the adventure to the new rules!

In short: Its not doing to be a "plug and play" experience, but one of research and trial and error.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.