• 92 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <07-16-19/1553:53> »
Is that what we want though?

Oooh! Poll question!

Ghost Rigger had asked if we want/like the changes that are coming from 6E or not. So, I'm starting a Poll.

What are you feeling about the new changes?

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-16-19/1609:50> »
I'm looking forward to them, as is my group.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-16-19/1617:23> »
I am a very bias yes (mostly anyway) 8)
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Lost

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-16-19/1625:34> »
My group and I are really looking forward to the new edition. I'm sure there may be house rules as we have one or two for every game system that we play.
Concerning edge, we are currently playing Torg which has a similar mechanic called possibilities.  If Edge mimics this mechanic it will add an outstanding new dynamic to the game. I, for one, am extremely excited.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #4 on: <07-16-19/1644:42> »
I am cautiously excited. The more streamlined rules do look like they'll be good for getting some of my group back to the table, as they said they love the setting of Shadowrun, but not the heavy crunch. I do still have some worries that keeping me from diving all in on support, and am waiting for the CRB (and core expansion books beyond) to see if my worries are unfounded or not. Overall I've liked what I've seen in the QSR and what I've heard from folks who can't break NDA and tell me things I want to know.

That said if I do drag my group back I'll totally have some house-rules because I've never been satisfied with any system out of the box and have a base need to tweak it in some way ;D

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-16-19/1651:27> »
What I like:
Faster combat resolution.  Something I absolutely HATED about 5e was how players whose characters only get 1 or 2 passes literally check out of the game during combat.  "Ok I got my one action in.  I'll go and pick up some pizza.. seeya!"  And what's worse.. sometimes they make it BACK even before that one combat round is over.

More interactive combat resolution.  It's no longer about who gets the first hit in.  IMO a back and forth makes for more exciting combat than rocket tag.

Some minor nerfs to magicians.  Imo it's supposed to be a cyberpunk game but with magic.  Not Magicrun where only chumps play mundanes.

Streamlining the matrix. I think 5e was the best edition for integrating hacking stuff with everyone else's stuff (but see how 5e dropped the ball on integration in combat...).  And 6w has the potential to be even better still.

What I don't like:
Spirits still Uber Alles. If you have a summoner on your team, you still don't need a team. His spirits can still do everything the rest of the team was going to do.  (I'm toying around with the feasibility of a SR home game where there's just no oversummoning.  Or maybe even no summoning whatsoever...)

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <07-16-19/1652:06> »
I've been quite vocal about my disappointment with 6e.

The game takes place in a future version of this world and as such the outcomes you can expect from your actions should reflect those expectations.

6e does not get anywhere close to that, but rather guts all connection to reality in favor of the rule of cool.

When I want that I will watch Men in Black.

It's a horrorshow of inanity that our table will not engage with.

Sad.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-16-19/1656:35> »
WARNING: Tangent ahead.

(I'm toying around with the feasibility of a SR home game where there's just no oversummoning.  Or maybe even no summoning whatsoever...)

If you are dropping summoning, you might consider swapping Starfinder for the rules instead and just ignoring the spaceships part.  Assuming you are not deathly allergic to D20 based systems, it might give you a better fit.

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-16-19/1935:08> »
Very generally speaking:

I've seen the live plays and they haven't excited me.  Rather, they've concerned me.  I stopped trying to watch after the first two or so.  I fully acknowledge they were learning as they went, but that just makes the rollout that much more problematic in my mind.  I would rather have seen a system expert, designer, or demo person run them through it.  No dis intended on the streamers, they did their best, they weren't my issue.

I'm all in favor of streamlining, and I have no problem with the reduced action economy (was thinking of the same thing for a homebrew), and magical admixture effects, simplified hacking, conditions, better structure to the Qualities, all that seems like wins.  However, the game doesn't play the same.  One of the things in the live play was the judgement errors made by the GM and players (not a criticism, they self-admitted to this) as veterans, and it was very punishing.  I could see where Mr J was operating from.  Those were all encounters I could see myself throwing at players. However, in this case, it was nearly a TPK, instead of acting as some spice to the run. With such a newly deadly system, and such fast combats, one bad round of rolls in an imbalanced encounter is going to scrub run after run until word gets around to GMs on how to tone things down.  That means less spice in runs, and less fun at the table.  Fights are too fast and too furious.  Combined fire is extremely deadly, and I would never use it on my players (especially since they don't seem to have a way to return the favor -- may be wrong).  The vehicle rules going backwards to m/ct also annoys the heck out of me.  It's definitely hard for any ground combat game to do car chases well, but what we saw on the live plays didn't feel good.  I want car chases that are nerve-wracking and fun.  This was, well, not that.  It also felt inconsistent, since ground combat eschews dice pool mods, but vehicle combat still has them (and they are crazy high).   

The rule issues pointed out so far seem to me (so far) to be easily resolved with some house rules, as far as I can tell.  However, the Edge system doesn't jazz me at all.  It's also pretty clearly baked into all the parts of the system, as heavily as Limits were in 5E, leaving those who don't like it no choice but to abandon edition (again).  It's progress towards a more streamlined game play, but it doesn't really appeal to me.  It feels like it went too abstract, and to no good effect.  It doesn't help that there's been so much confusion around how Edge is earned and spent, without really any official clarification from CGL.

So at the moment, I am still on the fence about ever getting the CRB.  I feel like I probably won't want to play what's been written.  I like when rules make good sense or are at least close to the mark. At this point, I am only considering buying it to seethe full menu of changes and what I might want to port to a different system.  It still has a lot of 5E feel to what I've seen, and that edition left me so cold I just shake my head to see it still there.  "Everything has a price" and that font just sets my teeth on edge all over again.

Overall, I had to rate this 'Hell No' on the poll.  I do plan to wait and see what some of the reaction is online.  The digital QSR is batting 2 stars on DTRPG presently (that's one 5 star and 5 x 1 stars as of today).  I'm pretty disappointed with what I am hearing so far in general.  Insiders aren't exactly giving off the "ooh yer gonna love it" vibe either.  More the opposite.

So right now, it's a Yikes from me, dog. 

I would love to be wrong. 

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-16-19/2000:08> »
I’ve seen multiple times people mention slower characters leaving the table. I’m baffled. Yeah I get that when one person scouts ahead or something. Because it’s a solo gig for x time. But waiting 2 passes is like 5 minutes tops. Where was the mystical problem they were solving happening?

I’m all for making it faster and I actually like the idea of one pass only. But, I’m not buying the story for why it’s a big deal. You can always improve it, but I doubt anyone was walking away bored over a pass or two missed out. Do the street sams head out for drive through when the face is negotiating. Cause face scenes take a whole lot longer than missing a pass or two.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <07-17-19/0036:03> »
I played the Beginner Box with a few things copied from Core (such as the working of the bugged spell cards), and I really like it so far. It feels much more fluent. Unfortunately since I got the Digital Box through agent channels, I can't review it on the site. The system still feels like Shadowrun, but it's less 'I know the math so you don't have to' now, which lessens the burden on me as a GM.

There's a few tweaks I might end up making for a home game, but then again I had... *checks document* a total of 17 houserules and judgement calls when I started my SR5 campaign. I'll need less here. And SR6 pretty much encourages you to run your table the way you like it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-17-19/0114:24> »
Update: I downloaded Emu.  I feel like I could play 6E, whereas I don't feel that way about 5E.  In fact, I feel a genuine sense of relief.  However, I noticed that the Qualities all revolve around Edge mechanics.  I'm not particularly down with those points of customization being reduced to just tinkering with how you earn or burn Edge.  However, with no CRB to see, maybe I am worried about nothing?

Is anyone at liberty to comment on whether this is representative of the majority of Qualities?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-17-19/0125:03> »
Quite a lot of the qualities do involve Edge either directly or indirectly.  But certainly not all of them.  Very roughly... about half and half.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <07-17-19/0139:32> »
Not all dicepool-modifying Qualities are now Edge-tied by the way. There's still a bunch of dice/threshold/etc impacting qualities, and plenty of other-effect qualities.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #14 on: <07-17-19/0221:05> »
...somewhere between #3 and #5 on the list above.

Willing to take a look at the CRB when it comes out,  though a lot will depend on how Missions will deal with the changes.
Forsaken daughter is watching you