The current situation with Dragons

• 275 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #75 on: <02-15-12/2203:14> »
She's a librarian.
Don't screw with those people, they used to rule the world!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <02-16-12/0254:26> »
She's a librarian.
Don't screw with those people, they used to rule the world!

The same actress was absolutely brilliant as Hypatia in a movie called Agora, about the last days of the Great Library of Alexandria.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #77 on: <03-04-12/1938:37> »
You know, I've been thinking about something. We know that several dragons (Dunkelzahn and Hestaby for certain, probably others) posted on the old Shadowland network, and Cerberus has shown up on Jackpoint, which means Celedyr knows about it, and other dragons probably do too. How likely is it that, as the war between dragons heats up, that we'll see dragons reaching out for allies in places they might not otherwise have looked? Possibly even coming to Jackpoint directly?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #78 on: <03-04-12/1950:47> »
Dragons don't go to war unprepared.  They would not come to Jackpoint (or any other untested talent base) during the war.  If one did show up, he's looking for a deniable asset to take advantage of something falling out of an unrelated battle.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #79 on: <03-04-12/2347:17> »
I could see a Dragon on Jackpoint.  Its been done before on Shadownet, so why not Jackpoint.  Not looking for talent, but to give their perspective.  Hestiby would do this, I think.  And providing your side of things to the right people, helps move the pieces of the game without something as crude as mere nuyen.

I love to see something like Survival of the Fittest again...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #80 on: <03-05-12/0032:11> »
That's what I was thinking, Black. And Joe, the thing about any war is that it tends to deplete your resources, whether you are winning or losing. Which means you need to get more.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #81 on: <03-05-12/0412:43> »
Well, where did you get that intel on Dragons cv. Dragons war? From Hestaby speech I understand that there is schism on how to deal with Aztech, but deffinitively not serrious enought to turn them one again each other...I dont believe that even those on Hestabys side would be willing to kill their brethen to save a few metahumans...or is there any more info in other books I didnt read?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #82 on: <03-05-12/1027:50> »
It has been a common theme through the last few books, but I'd recommend looking at Conspiracy Theories, in particular, where they talk in depth about it.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #83 on: <03-05-12/1130:21> »
oooo I need to read faster :O

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #84 on: <03-05-12/1724:05> »
However, I do feel that the Lowfyr/Hestiby dispute seems... contrived.  At least so far.  As if it was an act for the public to hide something in the shadows...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #85 on: <03-06-12/0936:42> »
However, I do feel that the Lowfyr/Hestiby dispute seems... contrived.  At least so far.  As if it was an act for the public to hide something in the shadows...

Well, she DID turn down his offer to mate. Maybe it stung a little more than he let on. ;)

IIRC, Lung and Ryumyo are still effectively at each other's throats. There's always been some degree of "Dragon War" at any given point of time. I wonder about 5th Age occurrences that may have been the echoes of draconic rivalries.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #86 on: <03-06-12/1255:51> »
IIRC, Lung and Ryumyo are still effectively at each other's throats. There's always been some degree of "Dragon War" at any given point of time.
The problem is, two successive moves in what dragons would call a very aggressive war can be ten years apart.

You'd have a paragraph in the latest sourcebook describing the reaction to something that happened in, say, 3rd edition Shadows of Asia, which in turn would retaliate over the result of a 1st edition adventure.

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #87 on: <03-06-12/1301:53> »
Agreed, but for the dragons, they make up for their ponderous pace with complexity. What they would call a single move could be, for us, an entire career of shadowruns (or at least a campaign). Survival of the Fittest was a fine example of the latter. Great Dragons are operating on a dozen levels, plans within plans, always in motion. It is their scale (pun?) that makes them seem slow to us.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #88 on: <04-11-12/2349:56> »
Awwww THREAD NECRO!

Ok, here's my plea to the writers. Actually, a couple of pleas, really.

A) Dragons posting on Shadownet was awesome. If you were a quick one, you knew which dragon it was. If not, you were floored when they revealed something, got the ShadowTalkers in an uproar, and finally understood the scope of the drek hitting the oscillating ventilation apparatus. It was great. And now... Are you telling me Jack would say "Nope, you guys can go slot yourselves." if some dragons like Hestaby, Masaru, and a few of the littler ones applied for posting rights? Really, those dragons were some talkative wizwyrms in previous editions. Now, you can't get word one out of them, and it seems like they aren't as accessible anymore. Old editions were great, and I'm not saying the new one sucks. i love it. But, the old street saying on the back of the core rule book was there for a reason. Because eventually, in the old editions, it was entirely possible for an up and coming street crew to run into a dragon. For them to try and not cut a deal with. No more dragons posting in the source books leaves it feeling a bit more like they aren't there anymore. Which sucks hard.

B) Moar dragons waking up, please! The magic level is going up. Slowly, but surely. Why are we not seeing more dragons? We are seeing less, actually. We have had greats die, and a bunch of lesser dragons cack it. Only one has come out to replace them all, and that was last edition. Shouldn't some eggs hatch, at least? By the time we get to 2200 in game, we will have run out of dragons. I can understand the writers being leery of Horrors. That's good, I like that. But, how many Shadowrun players and GMs really say "Dragons? This game could do without them. Just a pain, seriously." Honestly, I could be happy with EVERY adventure having a dragon in it somewhere. As well as some throwing metaplot against the wall, and seeing what sticks. Concentrating on metahumanity and corporations going at it constantly, that gets old. And if I wanted to do that, I'd play a different cyber-punk game. I like Shadowrun because it has magic and dragons. MAGIC and DRAGONS. Get to it.

Now, I will hide from the writers wrath as they point to the Artifacts adventures. Hehehe.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #89 on: <04-12-12/0000:05> »
What about that Dragon that lived mostly in Metahuman form, and was a major risktaker?  I'd love to see him on the JackPoint!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11