« Reply #45 on: <02-04-12/1332:15> »
Explains Queen Victoria, actually...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #46 on: <02-04-12/2215:56> »
It is in the same kind of field as true names of spirits. Names have power. Names in the form of titles have more power the more important the title is. So saying you're President of the water cooler on four square would have power. but being President of the UCAS has a great deal more power. The more people that acknowledge that title, the greater the power that title has.

It is the symbolism of it.
Makes me wonder what happens to said power if enough people start disregarding said titles.s
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #47 on: <02-04-12/2303:24> »
It would weaken, certainly, if not vanish. But getting people to stop believing in symbols is incredibly difficult. Look at the dollar today. Do you know what gives the dollar its worth? If you said 'stacks of gold in Fort Knox', or anything similar, you're wrong. The dollar has value because people believe that it does. The value of the dollar compared to other currencies depends on the faith you have in those currencies, and how much of that currency is out there. If everyone suddenly decided the dollar was worthless, then what used to be stacks of cash is suddenly so much kindling. But it takes something cataclysmic for something like the dollar or a title like President of the United States to lose its meaning. We're talking about the kind of events that shake the world, and leave people spending decades trying to get their footing afterwards.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #48 on: <02-05-12/1212:38> »
Q: Is that power available in any form for those who holds the title? Like attuned background or something like that?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #49 on: <02-05-12/2322:19> »
Q: Is that power available in any form for those who holds the title? Like attuned background or something like that?

I don't know, but if so that might explain why Lofwyr is such a badass. "President/CEO of Saeder-Krupp" is a title that, in the Sixth World, probably has more weight behind it than "President of the United States" does today.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #50 on: <02-06-12/0224:10> »

I don't know, but if so that might explain why Lofwyr is such a badass. "President/CEO of Saeder-Krupp" is a title that, in the Sixth World, probably has more weight behind it than "President of the United States" does today.

True, very true.  Yet, somehow, I feel he is beyond titles.  The Immortal Elves though, they seem to like titles.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #51 on: <02-06-12/0249:04> »
Oh, just because Lofwyr doesn't make a show of grabbing titles doesn't mean he doesn't know the power of them.

Also, if you want more evidence of the power of titles and names, read through the Aztlan book from 3E again, especially the private chat between Big D and his guests. There are parts that clearly show that names and titles have power.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #52 on: <02-06-12/0250:29> »
Names have always had power.

At the very least, they have the power to get someone's attention, that can be quite powerful indeed!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <02-06-12/0444:25> »

True, very true.  Yet, somehow, I feel he is beyond titles.  The Immortal Elves though, they seem to like titles.
He seemed rather taken with holding onto the title of Loremaster in Survival of the Fittest.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #54 on: <02-06-12/0459:07> »
Ahhhh.... that's true... but is was a Dragon title, not some petty little human attempt at authority.  Also, it came with, from memory, several important powers and responsibilities... and artifacts.

Survival of the Fittest.  A fine read even if you never play it (and you should consider playing  it, even as a once off historic campaign)
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <02-06-12/1204:58> »
As opposed to the power to annihilate the earth in five minutes.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #56 on: <02-06-12/1309:12> »
As opposed to the power to annihilate the earth in five minutes.
"The power to destroy a planet pales in comparison to the power of the Force."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <02-06-12/1316:16> »
"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways, CanRay. Your sad devotion to that ancient Canadian wilderness has not helped you conjure up more novels, or given you clairvoyance enough to find a gaming group..."

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #58 on: <02-06-12/2302:20> »
Well played, sir!
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #59 on: <02-06-12/2323:00> »
"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways, CanRay. Your sad devotion to that ancient Canadian wilderness has not helped you conjure up more novels, or given you clairvoyance enough to find a gaming group..."
Well played, sir!
Yeah, thanks guys, I can feel the love.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11