NEWS

Is there an SR5 in the works?

• 244 Replies

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #195 on: <06-15-12/1032:21> »
I'm just getting used to SR4A.  You want a fifth one now?
 :-\

No, I'm kidding.

A Shadowrun 5th edition is something I'm kind of unprepared for.  Unlike D&D, where they kinda did it to fix a marketing snafu, 4th Edition is growing on me and I'm not ready to chuck it yet. :)  So far, I don't see any room for improvement so I don't know where I can suggest changes.  Perhaps the item threshold table can be made more clear?  We had a fight about it last night.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #196 on: <06-18-12/0547:03> »
D&D brought out 5th Edition because they realized they ROYALLY pissed off their fans with 4th. They brought out 4th because they'd run through pretty much all the material they could without getting into real shark-jumping territory. Their mistake is that, unlike games such as Hero System, which has had the same basic mechanic from at least 4th edition all the way to 6th, with some minor tweaks, they decided to strip out over half the rulebook, and change everything. Take any Hero character's 4th ed stats, and it is fairly straightforward to convert them to 6th ed. Take a D&D character's 3.5 stats, and you need to get a lobotomy to convert them and be satisfied with the results.

That, above all, is the lesson Catalyst should learn from D&D. You have a good, fairly simple mechanic here, that is pretty easy to design any kind of character you like, but doesn't treat more advanced players like their twelve years old.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #197 on: <06-23-12/1957:11> »
I think it was the two bazillion rolls to do just about anything on the matrix combined with the completely different time passages that made combat a real pain in the ass if the decker was VR decking at the same time as the rest of the team was in physical combat.

Decking is one of the things that I think SR4 did a good job with, but I hate how they slapped deckers and riggers together. I really liked the full blown VCR feel of riggers.

THAT is my single biggest problem with SR4. The gutting of riggers.
There are other issues like the dumbing down of the magic and making technomancers/otaku just mages in the matrix. but I could live with those.

And yeah I would REALLY love some vehicle creation rules, weapon rule would be awesome, but the Vee rules are on my Must list.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #198 on: <06-25-12/1605:07> »

That, above all, is the lesson Catalyst should learn from D&D. You have a good, fairly simple mechanic here, that is pretty easy to design any kind of character you like, but doesn't treat more advanced players like their twelve years old.

Pretty much not talks down to them.  I can make any character I want for SR4A right now.  SR5 should stay in the same ballpark.  The point buy system is very praised, I don't think you should get rid of that.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #199 on: <06-25-12/1638:41> »
Karmagen :)

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #200 on: <06-25-12/1715:14> »

You hear about the Hero Lab errata to that over in General Discussion? It's official Word of God (or at least Word of JMH) that the Karmagen system is to be bumped up to 1000 Karma. ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #201 on: <06-25-12/1753:33> »
"What's his Karma level?"  "It's...  1006.  Kick his ass!"  "YAY!"  *Ass whupin' happens*  "Oh, I had this upsidedown...  Uh oh..."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #202 on: <06-25-12/1757:50> »

You hear about the Hero Lab errata to that over in General Discussion? It's official Word of God (or at least Word of JMH) that the Karmagen system is to be bumped up to 1000 Karma. ;)

Hmmm...that would be real advanced result you built with 1000 Karma points. Any movement in limitations for Attributes and resources?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #203 on: <06-25-12/1826:02> »
Hmmm...that would be real advanced result you built with 1000 Karma points. Any movement in limitations for Attributes and resources?

Short answer: Yes. The cost of Attributes was recalculated to x5, so stuff derived from the old x3 cost had to be recalculated.

HERE is a link to the actual post by Mathias, which includes the relevant email from Mr. Hardy, for details.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #204 on: <06-26-12/1422:03> »
1000? That's really a lot.
Most of the chars I built with both 400BP and 750 karma, the karma characters are a lot more powerful. And that's already using the x5 rule instead x3 (Chummer uses x5 by default).
Do you pay karma for metatype too? Or just the increased cost of racially modified attributes?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #205 on: <06-26-12/1511:00> »
1000? That's really a lot.
Most of the chars I built with both 400BP and 750 karma, the karma characters are a lot more powerful. And that's already using the x5 rule instead x3 (Chummer uses x5 by default).
Do you pay karma for metatype too? Or just the increased cost of racially modified attributes?

Yeah, it's basically the German rules, with an extra 250 Karma.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #206 on: <06-27-12/1037:52> »
D&D brought out 5th Edition because they realized they ROYALLY pissed off their fans with 4th. They brought out 4th because they'd run through pretty much all the material they could without getting into real shark-jumping territory. Their mistake is that, unlike games such as Hero System, which has had the same basic mechanic from at least 4th edition all the way to 6th, with some minor tweaks, they decided to strip out over half the rulebook, and change everything. Take any Hero character's 4th ed stats, and it is fairly straightforward to convert them to 6th ed. Take a D&D character's 3.5 stats, and you need to get a lobotomy to convert them and be satisfied with the results.

There's an old design maxim.

People want more of the same.

Oh, they THINK they want new stuff, they may even have convinced themselves on a surface level that they do, but on average the bulk of your customer base wants exactly what they had before, with enough cosmetic changes to make it FEEL different.

-k

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #207 on: <08-01-12/1829:05> »
Argh why 5th? Why not get more input from the user base(Hell a lot of the writers now are LONG span players and fans) and get 4A bug fixed then see how many of us buy  SR4B The Matrix That Makes Sense Edition etc. I`d buy two copies one for me and another for the players. I`d like to see an official rules Wiki/SRD not just a FAQ. Give it to the Scary Canadian to do?
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #208 on: <08-06-12/1250:54> »
Argh why 5th? Why not get more input from the user base(Hell a lot of the writers now are LONG span players and fans) and get 4A bug fixed then see how many of us buy  SR4B The Matrix That Makes Sense Edition etc. I`d buy two copies one for me and another for the players. I`d like to see an official rules Wiki/SRD not just a FAQ. Give it to the Scary Canadian to do?
Scary Canadian? Isn't that like Military Intelligence or Microsoft Works? ;)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #209 on: <08-06-12/1326:47> »
Scary Canadian? Isn't that like Military Intelligence or Microsoft Works? ;)
Not when it's me.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11