NEWS

I got in! CMP 2014-04 Boundless Mercy 4: Destroy Gencon 2014

• 11 Replies

hughnme

• Newb
« on: <06-14-14/0032:48> »
Hi gang,

I managed to get in to CMP 2014-04 Boundless Mercy 4: Destroy.Here is the thing,I'm a newbie and it says "Experience Required: Some (You've played it a bit and understand the basics)' I guess I'm a little concerned as to how the other players will react to a newbie in their presence given the experience criteria.

I have the Lone Wolf Hero Lab Shadowrun character creator and it has SR5 pregens in the software,could I get away with using one of the Hero Lab pregens do you think?

I don't want to be a nuisance to the other players so I'd like to turn up with a legit Shadowrunner.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <06-14-14/0038:02> »
How new is "new"?  Have you ever used the 5th edition rules, or examined the book?  Have you at least played some version of Shadowrun in the past?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

justkelly

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-14-14/0040:40> »
Each game is filled with players, and characters, having different knowledge and experience.

If you can get into a Welcome to the 6th World first, they will help you create a Missions character and run you through a quick job. Then you can go to the other game with "some " experience. ;-)

Regardless, know that other "newbies" will be there. If you make your character at home, using whatever tool you want, make sure you read the Missons FAQ and other information so you won't have problems.

Don't hesitate to ask for help. These boards are filled with knowlegable people.

See you at Gencon.

Never ask a woman how old she is...she might tell you and then what would you do.

hughnme

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-14-14/0210:31> »
Thanks for the replies,I have got the core rulebook and will hopefully get some study time in before GenCon.I am hoping justkelly to get a "Welcome" game under my belt,I don't have a ticket-I'm hoping my Australian charm (and generic tickets) funny accent and the fact I've flown 9000 miles will get me in.  :D

Vertigo916 "Patches"

• Newb
  • Vertigo916 "Patches"
« Reply #4 on: <06-19-14/1458:19> »
I wish you the best of luck on that.

On a side note they do have "some" pregens though IMO they are only meh.

Creating a shadowrun character doesn't take very long.. Buying his gear on the other hand takes for ever (^_^). 

You may also head over to the char creation section on this forums and throw you ideas / partial build out there. (I prefer hero lab for my character now that its out) but you can do it just as easily with a spreadsheet or pencil / piece of paper.
I trust the player, If I don't whats the point?

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #5 on: <06-19-14/1718:03> »
Thanks for the replies,I have got the core rulebook and will hopefully get some study time in before GenCon.I am hoping justkelly to get a "Welcome" game under my belt,I don't have a ticket-I'm hoping my Australian charm (and generic tickets) funny accent and the fact I've flown 9000 miles will get me in.  :D

Show up early and talk to the room captain and get on the signup sheet.

Gleeful

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-21-14/2145:40> »
What day do you get to Indy? I'll be running a laid back Shadowrun at the RAM 9am wednesday AM--sign up sometime in July on the gen con forums, under the KFG (Kentucky Fried Gamers) area. It'll be one of the Missions games, and new folks are welcome.

And it's laid back because, y'know, RAM, 9am. Who can be cuthroat that fragging early?

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-23-14/1025:01> »
And it's laid back because, y'know, RAM, 9am. Who can be cuthroat that fragging early?

I can.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

SuBVrt

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-18-14/0001:59> »
Hero Labs is a great tool, and allows you to follow the Missions restrictions with a legal character. I have never ever ever ever seen someone claim that making an SR character doesn't take long. Sure, the Priority table speeds things up a lot over pure points spending, but there's a lot going on there, and really sprawled all over the core book.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #9 on: <07-18-14/0101:50> »

I can.

Before...or after I've had my coffee?
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Gleeful

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #10 on: <07-18-14/0845:24> »
Okay, the coffee point is very valid. Once coffee is consumed all bets are off. :)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #11 on: <07-18-14/1326:37> »
Okay, the coffee point is very valid. Once coffee is consumed all bets are off. :)

Exactly.  All of my evil ideas come after I've had my coffee.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.