NEWS

SIN Question for a Mimic Character

• 5 Replies

Kato

• Newb
« on: <09-07-19/1415:17> »
I'm helping a relatively new character create an adept infiltrator who uses most of the appearance changing adept powers, including mimic and voice control. I wanted to give this character the negative quality SINner...but...it seems a bit of a waste to give a SIN of any type to a character who can essentially change their appearance, voice, and finger prints. I suppose other types of biometrics scanners would identify them, but for most routine scanning I feel like a mimic style character can just bypass most of the issues a SIN would present. Thoughts?

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-08-19/1006:53> »
I'm helping a relatively new character create an adept infiltrator who uses most of the appearance changing adept powers, including mimic and voice control. I wanted to give this character the negative quality SINner...but...it seems a bit of a waste to give a SIN of any type to a character who can essentially change their appearance, voice, and finger prints. I suppose other types of biometrics scanners would identify them, but for most routine scanning I feel like a mimic style character can just bypass most of the issues a SIN would present. Thoughts?

Ummm, the SIN is tied to their biometrics, to a T. I think the key is having something they need to use their legitimate SIN for. Things like Trust Fund and Daytime Job were qualities that in prior editions tied player pretty tightly to a SIN, where it still had ramifications for being burned.

In 6e, closest I can think of is tying it to Depednents negative quality, where his SIN is tied to the Lifestyle that is supporting his/her dependents and if it gets burned, there are serious consequences. Dependents can call up, notifying the player that there was a robbery near by and culprit is on loose. Given that you're registered Renter/Owner of the domicile, they want to speak with you and confirm 1) The people that answered the door actually belong there 2) No one is truly under duress or under threat from the culprit potentially escaping onto the premise. This would have to be minimum of a Low Lifestyle and makes more sense at middle and above.

Just off top of my head some ideas. A SIN can always be a liability.

Kato

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-19/1650:37> »
After I gave it some thought I came to the same conclusion. Even if she mimics another person, but gets arrested, they have all kinds of magic detection jazz that are used in SR to detect this very thing. It might be a short run solution for her to appear to be someone else to escape a situations, but realistically she's not a combat build so shooting her way out isn't the best option anyways. So using her adept powers to escape from a situation is like another character shooting or punching their way free. I just wasn't sure if having a SIN would actually turn out to be that much of a negative for her in the long run. I've personally always considered it to be both a positive and a negative in certain ways.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-08-19/1921:35> »
Agree with you being both a positive and a negative. I don't necessarily look at all negative qualities as having to be 'bad', but as extra responsibility that the player has to take into account. If the player is up for it, may even be beneficial to them, it's just something they have to always have in the back of their mind, though.

Kato

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-19/2217:56> »
Couldn't agree with you more. There are some qualities that seem dual natured rather than positive or negative. Maybe house rule the karma cost...

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-19/2320:57> »
Couldn't agree with you more. There are some qualities that seem dual natured rather than positive or negative. Maybe house rule the karma cost...

Eh, for negatives that could be played as neutral or even positive, I am fine with it still giving Karma. It's an extra thing the human player has to juggle. They have to be cognizant of it during their play and, for the beneficial ones, have to be careful for it to not turn on them/be loss.