NEWS

Who is Your favorite Writer?

• 63 Replies

james22

« on: <08-06-12/2210:22> »
Hi buddies Tell Me About Your favorite Writer. my favorite writer is Tibor Fischer

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #1 on: <09-23-12/0149:13> »
Mark Twain tops my list, but I also like Herber Asbury. I actually read a lot of primary source histories. I also seem to find myself reading Game Master's Survival Guide by jim pinto for L5R regardless of system I am playing.
Andrew Grim

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-23-12/0404:03> »
Albert Camus

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <09-23-12/1352:29> »
Hard to choose, due to different writing styles, but it's a toss-up between Sir Terry Pratchett and Jim Butcher.  David Weber is still in the running, however.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <09-23-12/1637:37> »
Hard to choose, due to different writing styles, but it's a toss-up between Sir Terry Pratchett and Jim Butcher.  David Weber is still in the running, however.

I gotta go with Sir Pterry on that one. Butcher isn't bad but he's got a few problems that keep me from considering him on Pratchett's level. He's too heavy-handed in places, rather formulaic in others, relies too heavily on Harry being a cosmic punching bag, and he's got too many internal inconsistancies.

The last point, especially, irks me since he contradicts himself constantly on the relative power and abilities of the "NPCs" from Christian mythology compared to those from older religions, like the Faeries (Eldest Gruff vs Magog comes to mind) or Shagnasty The Skinwalker.
« Last Edit: <09-23-12/1639:40> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #5 on: <09-23-12/2010:12> »
Ringo, Weber and Butcher are my top three followed by W.E.B. Griffin
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-24-12/1232:06> »

I gotta go with Sir Pterry on that one. Butcher isn't bad but he's got a few problems that keep me from considering him on Pratchett's level. He's too heavy-handed in places, rather formulaic in others, relies too heavily on Harry being a cosmic punching bag, and he's got too many internal inconsistancies.

The last point, especially, irks me since he contradicts himself constantly on the relative power and abilities of the "NPCs" from Christian mythology compared to those from older religions, like the Faeries (Eldest Gruff vs Magog comes to mind) or Shagnasty The Skinwalker.

One more vote for Terry Pratchett.  And he's quite fun in RL too, at least when surrounded by his loonies (that's what he calls his fans on DW cons).  Proud to be one of them.  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <09-24-12/1442:58> »
Sir PTerry:  ONE OF US!  ONE OF US!!!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #8 on: <09-24-12/1505:42> »
Another vote for the Meteor Weilding Knight, from some random shmuck across the Atlantic!
...um...by which I mean me.
« Last Edit: <09-24-12/1604:12> by Twitchy D »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <09-24-12/1943:55> »
How many knights, suffering from a physically disabling disease, goes out and MINES THEIR OWN IRON for their sword???  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #10 on: <09-24-12/2020:31> »
Man, he found and made that sword BEFORE he got knighted!

He truly deserves the title.

(stares up at the sky)

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #11 on: <09-25-12/1556:28> »
More votes for Prachett. None can beat the man who invented a whole race of Igors and puts 6-foot-6 dwarves or Orangutan librarians in his books.

Second place to Tolkien (who I read before he started making movies, 'cuz I'm cool like that!), third I might actually give to Tom Clancy.
« Last Edit: <09-25-12/1558:38> by Xzylvador »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-25-12/1600:25> »
The books I've read most lately, have been from Mercedes Lackey.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #13 on: <09-26-12/0059:37> »
Sir Pterry, J.R.R.T., Neil Stephenson, Jim Butcher, William Gibson. And that's besides the various Russian sci-fi authors.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #14 on: <09-26-12/1322:30> »
Right now I'm reading a lot of Stephen Leather thrillers, and for fantasy my knee-jerk favorite of the moment would be Patrick Rothfuss (with George RR Martin neck and neck).