NEWS

Character creation challenge

• 22 Replies

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <09-22-19/1529:37> »
Well, this is one of those things that sat like a splinter in my mind until I was forced to make an account and post a character.
Well, Im glad to have placed that splinter, welcome onboard :)

Well, this is one of those things that sat like a splinter in my mind until I was forced to make an account and post a character.

Minima
Priorities:
A Magic (mystic adept, 4 power points)
B Resources
C Metatype (Dwarf)
D Skills
E Attributes

Body - 2[3]      
Agility - 1[2]      
Reaction - 2[3](10 karma spent)
Strength - 2[3]      
Willpower  3      
Logic - 3      
Intuition - 2(10 karma spent)
Charisma - 1
Edge    - 4      
Magic - 5      
Essence - 5.04      
Initiative - 4+1D6      

Minima can at least summon spirits (13 dice pool, but only 6 to soak), avoid getting caught/ambushed(perception+combat sense+danger sense might help that low intuition, stealth+traceless walk might help with low agility), and can probably heal from your encounters if you survive.
Admittedly, this isn't exactly an optimal build, but has some roleplay hooks and a lot of growth potential. The quest to meet a fixer, find a talismonger, learn to cast spells, make a second friend, all that good stuff...

Nice, it doesnt seem like I can rebuild him with higher attrinutes without loosing some skills or edge- so that part is good.

Even though he has subpar attributes, you managed to only have a single dumpstat,  I like that bioware, it really gives him that needed boost. I think he passed the test.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <09-22-19/1555:21> »
Heres my 2 cent, should be RAW:

Bongo the one Hitter
A Magic 4
B Ressources

Body 3(4*)  Agility 1 Reaction1  Strength9(13) Willpower1 Logic 1 Intuition 1 Charisma 1 Magic 5(4) Edge 1

C Race Troll (9) ( 8 Strength; 1 Magic)

D Skills (16)

E Attributes

Yikes thats some nasty dmg, I havent read much up on qi focus in 6th ed. But that sure seems super crazy... he can make people into chunky salsa, just with his 2 fists.
So I think that part is good, but theres a problem :) if we switch race and attributes with eachother, then he wouldnt loose anything, but actually end up with 4 more attribute points, which he cpuld use on body or agility for instance.

So sadly Bongo the one hitter can be made objectively better by switching adjustment points and attributes.

Regarding Whiskey sour...
Hmm he is a bit more tricky.
But I think if you also switched adjustment priority with attributes you would come out ahead.
Use your 1 adjustment point from E on magic. Buy edge up from 1 to 3 for 25 karma.
Use your 12 attribute poonts from C and you would actually have the same scores as now, but saving the 4×10 karma ( -25 from edge).

I tried to build one similar to yours. I thought to myself what type of character would end up with that low attribute choice? The kind of character that wanted to do too much - a mystic adept hacker. He needs cash, a magic score, hackimg and magicak skills and some more magic points- leaving attributes in the dust.
But I think your character came a lot closer to the finish line than mine :/

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <09-22-19/1601:07> »
So sadly Bongo the one hitter can be made objectively better by switching adjustment points and attributes.

Hehe you are right, to be honest i thought magic could only be raised using the Racial points :) but its true i see it now

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-22-19/1813:46> »
This kind of points out for me how asinine the magic column is for the setting. It’s supposed to be super rare but you have to almost fight not to be magically active.

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <09-22-19/1906:58> »
I guess i found a way now using Inferior Prime Runner rules. Modified the previous post by accident instead of quoting ^^

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-24-19/1538:09> »
This kind of points out for me how asinine the magic column is for the setting. It’s supposed to be super rare but you have to almost fight not to be magically active.

I must admit, I dont understand why full mages suddenly can start with a D on the priority chart. C or higher would have worked just fine.

I actually found a way now to make the E Attributes matter. On Page 111-112 is described how to build Prime Runners. And the Inferior Prime Runner has B, C, D, E, E.

Hey man, thats #$%*#  cheating! - 10 karma... But + 11 for ingenuity.  ;)

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-24-19/1548:10> »
I actually have another Challenge as well.
Its its Linda like the attributes E, just reversed a bit.
Adjustment points A?

With adjustment points A, you can have max Edge and magic/resonance, but you are also "forced" to out some points into your regular metatypes attributes. (Body, strenght or willpower depending on metatypes).
But wouldnt you often (99%+) of the time be Better of with having Adjustment points lower and attributes higher? Thats my stance anyway, prove me wrong ;)

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <09-25-19/0323:54> »
But wouldnt you often (99%+) of the time be Better of with having Adjustment points lower and attributes higher? Thats my stance anyway, prove me wrong ;)

It is 100% I think.

It makes only sense if some future Advanced Rules bring more Race options that require A Priority.