NEWS

Multiple Major Actions & Multiple Attacks

• 7 Replies

j2klbs

• Newb
« on: <10-29-20/1725:20> »
When a runner converts 4 minor actions into an extra major action and attacks twice, does this trigger the "Multiple Attacks" rule (p. 111) in which the attack dice must be divided by 2?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-29-20/1809:03> »
When a runner converts 4 minor actions into an extra major action and attacks twice, does this trigger the "Multiple Attacks" rule (p. 111) in which the attack dice must be divided by 2?

No.  That's for when you spend a minor to perform Multiple Attacks.

It might be interesting as a house rule to extend the mechanic to when someone makes two attack actions, but since they resolve sequentially rather than simultaneously it'd be very clunky to do so.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-29-20/1852:45> »
Thank you Stainless Steel!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-30-20/0905:42> »
...does this trigger the "Multiple Attacks" rule (p. 111) in which the attack dice must be divided by 2?
No, the Multiple Attacks Minor action (and by extension also Anticipation) is used when you want to make more than one attack within the same Major Attack Action (for example by wielding a weapon in your main hand another weapon in your offhand, attacking with both weapons at the same time in the same major action).

It clear that you do not use it when making two separate attacks as two separate major actions.
It is clear that you don't use it when making a single attack using single shot, semi automatic or narrow burst.
It seem as if it is also not used when you make a wide burst attack (but you still split the pool).
It also seem as if it is not used when you make a full auto attack (but you still split the pool).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <10-30-20/1332:36> »
Given how FA explicitly excludes Multiple Attacks, splitting a Burst Fire should still use it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-30-20/1334:04> »
Multiple Attacks and Firing Modes are two rules that don't play together very well AT ALL.  As of yet there is no good way to reconcile them.  The SRM ruling is a way to make the best of an awkward situation.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-30-20/1342:30> »
Given how FA explicitly excludes Multiple Attacks, splitting a Burst Fire should still use it.
SRM seem to disagree with this (and IIRC the german translation explicitly says that it does not use multiple attacks minor action, but i can be wrong here - i don't have the german version).

But I agree. It is not clear (which is why i used different wording above). It can for sure be read in both ways.
(and because of bad wording even FA might be read as if you might take a multiple attacks minor action if you wish).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <10-30-20/1655:17> »
Multiple Attacks and Firing Modes are two rules that don't play together very well AT ALL.  As of yet there is no good way to reconcile them.  The SRM ruling is a way to make the best of an awkward situation.
Eh, I can easily reconcile them. SRM's approach doesn't rhyme for me, but it's close enough and easier to balance.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!