NEWS

Neo-Tokyo - Thoughts on the need for vehicles

• 14 Replies

prophet42

• Newb
  • Financial Prognosticator
« on: <02-13-19/1317:47> »
Just started Season 9 & our local crew went with the concept of being members of a band.

Catgirl lead singer & electric koto player
   Univ. girl on tycho drums
   Tech-head decker on keyboards
   Katana adept on bass
   Oni manager who also covers the sound & lights

So you know there's going to be a discussion about how we schlep our gear from gig to gig.

Should we all chip in on a van (if so, what type might work best in NT)?
All go the biker route (pity the sad tycho drum player)?
Plan on High Lifestyle covering the costs of a vehicle service?

Side note - how much would a non-bike vehicle stick out in Neo-Tokyo?
I picture a lot of foot traffic with the occasional biker gang whizzing past.

If its not fun, then why are you doing it?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-13-19/1328:06> »
An Ares Roadmaster emblazoned with the band logo (yrzed out level 1 perhaps? :D ) would work just as well in Neo-Tokyo as any other Sprawl of the Sixth World.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-13-19/1338:07> »
Just started Season 9 & our local crew went with the concept of being members of a band.
A poor decision in my opinion, as musicians who by nature thrive on being well-known seems a like something that would not mix with shadowrunning. But let's focus on your vehicle problem: yes, you should get a van. People often need to move things they can't carry around, so having a van will not cause people to be suspicious of you....unless it's a Roadmaster, but that vehicle has its own perks.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-13-19/1353:53> »
A poor decision in my opinion, as musicians who by nature thrive on being well-known seems a like something that would not mix with shadowrunning.

Boo.  You sound like my own local Neo-Tokyo players who don't appreciate my Kawaii Metal dancer/Cover Ops infiltrator.  I clearly need to be playing with the OP's crowd.

Rockers and Cyberpunk have always gone together.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

prophet42

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-13-19/1420:25> »
A poor decision in my opinion, as musicians who by nature thrive on being well-known seems a like something that would not mix with shadowrunning.

Boo.  You sound like my own local Neo-Tokyo players who don't appreciate my Kawaii Metal dancer/Cover Ops infiltrator.  I clearly need to be playing with the OP's crowd.

Rockers and Cyberpunk have always gone together.

Yep - our thought was that not only does the rocker cover give the team a reason to be in a ton of different places, but that its actually a pretty fun concept to play.

Heck - we got past the bouncers in the first encounter of 9-01 by giving them a street audition & the team's singer managed an impromptu duet with Dmitri of Trolling Thunder on the way out (Whisky & Wodka - a love song).

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-13-19/2134:46> »
You need a van and a Great Dane...
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-14-19/1956:58> »
I think a bulldog would work pretty well for a starting band. If you are big time a bison maybe. That being said im basing this off of gear size of today. If it’s now fit in your pocket size stuff any car will do.

I like the concept. With the level of surveillance in the game no one could run. We already have a level of buy in that certain things are going to slide past. So the buy in that people don’t see through your clever rocker cover is not really different.  Hey 21 seasons in team rocket still fools ash and crew with their disguises.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-14-19/2303:19> »
I like the concept. With the level of surveillance in the game no one could run. We already have a level of buy in that certain things are going to slide past. So the buy in that people don’t see through your clever rocker cover is not really different.  Hey 21 seasons in team rocket still fools ash and crew with their disguises.

Hair, make-up, clothing, and lighting effects can have a big impact on how a person looks. Go and google "celebrities without make up," it can be virtually night and day for actors... Given some of the outrageous looks that musicians can sport, it can be even more drastic. Especially if musical acts in 2080 are anything like the visual kei, glam rock, eroguro, goth, industrial, and/or black metal genres of today and the recent past.

Would you recognize Lady Gaga if she was wearing no makeup, dressed in tactical armor, carrying a submachine gun, and having a running firefight with a SWAT team? Probably not.

Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-14-19/2335:18> »
Me no. I’m happy I recognize myself in the morning. Super fans I suspect might.

prophet42

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <02-15-19/0033:33> »
Chasin' Tail (that's the band's name) is looking to start small on the vehicle front.

The guy who's looking at the roadie/rigger role is looking at either a Ford Econovan or a GMC Universe.

Bigger wheels as the game progresses.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #10 on: <02-18-19/1817:14> »
The most famous Shadowrunning Team to come put of Seasons 5-8 ate Trolling Thunder... they made rocker status work for them.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

prophet42

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-18-19/1914:50> »
Our crew managed to make friends the Thunder, but I had no clue that they were a PC crew.

You wouldn't have details on them, would you?

My Catgirl might have a crush on the lead troll...
« Last Edit: <05-24-19/1935:01> by prophet42 »

marlocfavirzal

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-24-19/1711:53> »
Our crew managed to make friends the Thunder, but I had now clue that they were a PC crew.

You wouldn't have details on them, would you?

My Catgirl might have a crush on the lead troll...

If you make it out to Origins or GenCon, look for any of the Sky Pirates. They are the ones who played Trolling Thunder during Chicago.

Anatoly Trolling Thunder

• Newb
  • Anatoly Bass Guitarist, Trolling Thunder
« Reply #13 on: <06-06-19/1313:55> »
If you're going to have a band, you'll need a tour bus!  Trolling Thunder always went to each gig/run by their tour bus, even if we had to hire a heavy lift helicopter to haul it around.  For us, the Roadmaster (or equivalent) had the size, storage, and capacity we needed.  We didn't have a rigger early on, so the pilot 3 got us around pretty well.

Here's our old tour bus:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/lerg34235b0u1gt/tour%20bus.pdf?dl=0

And, because Trolling Thunder brings the Thunder! we also had an air droppable sound stage, famously used at the Chicago Final Countdown!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrperkwv9ocsndm/Air%20Droppable%20Sound%20Stage.pdf?dl=0

As Dimitri said when we got the stage, "Ees now ofeeshially beeg rock show!"

prophet42

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <06-19-19/2254:17> »
Chasin' Tail ended up getting a rigger as our final PC (he also acts as the team's roadie).
He opted for the Rover Model 2072 for the band's tour bus.
Not quite as durable as the Roadmaster, but a little nimbler.

That stage the Thunder has - now that's impressive.