NEWS

"UV-treated clothes" -RF 134

• 7 Replies

忍

« on: <10-14-16/0040:41> »
How might y'all rule UV clothes? Something like electrochromic (costing no capacity) or rather fire resistance (costing capacity and/or comes with ratings)? Maybe even something else entirely like a lifestyle cost?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-14-16/0328:08> »
Just use Chemical Protection. Since this is likely for infected with an UV allergy, you can treat it like the fatigue damage from pollution.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Adamo1618

« Reply #2 on: <10-14-16/0349:05> »
Low rating Radiation Shielding

markc

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-14-16/1703:00> »
I agree UV is radiation so you should use some for of the rule. Maybe have Rad Res 1 completely block UV but I am no SR expert so as you GM on the rating required. 
MDC

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-16-16/2134:46> »
To what end?

Are you talking something like this to be less visible to night vision, or are you talking about something more like this?

Some fabrics inherently protect against UV rays, most notably natural fabrics, and those that don't can be washed with a product like Sun Guard to give them sunscreen-like properties.  Tan-through swimwear is the opposite, using low UV-protective fabrics to minimize tan lines.

In any case, getting clothes that offer enough UV protection to protect against sunburn is pretty cheap and easy.  But I suspect there's something more you're going for?

&#24525;

« Reply #5 on: <10-16-16/2330:25> »
Page 134 of Run Faster (RF 134) talks about the Infected and UV interactions. I'm trying to put a cost to "UV-treated clothes" in order to make life soooooomewhat more bearable.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-16-16/2336:02> »
I have an albino character who wears hooded robes over a second skin suit, gloves, boots, and a Venetian style masquerade mask with polarized UV lenses (read sunglasses) in the eye holes. All with rating 1 or 2 radiation shielding.

Hey, if you're going to take the distinctive style quality, fragging take it.

It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-17-16/0155:09> »
Page 134 of Run Faster (RF 134) talks about the Infected and UV interactions. I'm trying to put a cost to "UV-treated clothes" in order to make life soooooomewhat more bearable.
Well, looking at that, UV-treating clothed to reduce the allergy would be a fairly negligible expense.  Not substantially more expensive than normal clothes.  That sun guard product is four bucks and claims to give clothes UPF 30 for the next 20 washes, and you can get a UPF 50 shirt for fifteen bucks.

Actual radiation shielding, while terribly expensive, would be even more expensive.