NEWS

[5e IC] Where Angels Fear to Tread

• 66 Replies

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-24-14/0246:52> »
From what Wide Eyes could gather, you have a true melting pot of people and potentials. A cursory glance over the group show cases some people still having all their original parts, but most without magical abilities. A small flair here and there of magic comes up, but from the looks of it they are adepts with a basic understanding of the way of magic only in of themselves. From there though, out of all of the people there, you see a very depleted soul of the group that has lost more than half of his essence to machinery. You almost feel transfixed, as the idea of having nothing really on the astral plane is a weird concept and why someone would do so. Other places wouldn't really showcase too much, the mechanics and the machines.

Wide Eyes almost scoffs at the few adepts he sees, but refrains from making his disdain obvious, his gaze wandering to Jackie's aura, marveling a little at the dark spots within his life force. He had always been curious about the augmented. He did not know what it was like to be mundane, blind to the powers of the loa, but surely even a mortal man could feel the energy of life that flowed through him? Could he not feel the loss with each piece of the unnatural they added? The augmentations themselves were also interesting, and the way they almost had a life of their own. Some thought that augmentation was like a drain on the essence, a hole carved out by technology, but he found that wasn't the case. The augments absorbed the essence, and the man incorporated the machine into his being. No, these augments that he could see running throughout the man's entire nervous system were not holes, but merely a dimming. Holes were a different matter. He had studied the kinds of critters that could make holes in a man's soul. He shuddered a bit at the thought.

The next that would catch your attention, if for the weirdest aspect of it, is that what appeared in the corner of your eye was another soul that seemed to disappear into the vast lifelessness of this area. You almost think its a fluke and then you are visually assaulted as a spirit of a very skinny man in a nice suit and top hat came into view. "You know you haven't been holding your end of the agreement monsiuer. Some of us here are getting pretty anxious for a run in Australia. You wouldn't want us to find another, would you boy?" You know him all too well, The Baron. Always the partier and the drinker, he is the one that always seemed to harass the summoners the most. Whether he was a man that just loved life so much that he became a spirit that is the essence of partying or a loa that just doesn't care too much, you don't know. You do know that you do need to appease them soon, lest they get bored.

Wide Eye's let his jaw drop, his heart racing for a moment by this loa addressing him directly, ashamed that he had not appeased them lately. He had been so busy working on this test, knowing it would bring him closer to the role Ogoun had chosen for him.

"My deepest apologies, Baron. The path Ogoun has put me on has taken my attention and I have not served les invisibles as often as I should. When the day is done, the ritual will begin, and my body will be your vessel for the night." Wide Eyes hoped this promise would suffice, as he would not let the uneducated masses here ruin a service to the loa with their prejudice. Tonight he would dance in the moonlight with the spirits flowing through him, but for now he turns his focus back towards the empty man and approaches the group.

"You are a man who has sacrificed much for the gains of technology, friend. I hope you do not mind me saying." He then turns towards JD, noticing the rather significant shadow of the recently installed control rig. "And you, as well. While I would not be able to take such measures, I sympathize with your actions. It takes men of great conviction to give a piece of themselves to their chosen task. We are all servants to a greater need, in a way."
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/0255:44> by Ryo »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #16 on: <08-24-14/0315:02> »
Tonight he would dance in the moonlight with the spirits flowing through him, but for now he turns his focus back towards the empty man and approaches the group.

"You are a man who has sacrificed much for the gains of technology, friend. I hope you do not mind me saying." He then turns towards JD, noticing the rather significant shadow of the recently installed control rig. "And you, as well. While I would not be able to take such measures, I sympathize with your actions. It takes men of great conviction to give a piece of themselves to their chosen task. We are all servants to a greater need, in a way."

Whoaaaaaaaaaa.

Steven didn't know what to think of the skinny man with the white marks on his face and the long, expressive words, but he quickly became fascinated by him. He knew there were a lot of customs here in Australia that he didn't know anything about, but he knew he should be respectful of them all. After all, he was the visitor here and they were here first. He hopes he isn't staring when he blurts out, "Hi! My name is Donger! Are those real tattoos or are they paint?"
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <08-24-14/0323:30> »
Whoaaaaaaaaaa.

Steven didn't know what to think of the skinny man with the white marks on his face and the long, expressive words, but he quickly became fascinated by him. He knew there were a lot of customs here in Australia that he didn't know anything about, but he knew he should be respectful of them all. After all, he was the visitor here and they were here first. He hopes he isn't staring when he blurts out, "Hi! My name is Donger! Are those real tattoos or are they paint?"

"Yes, very real, and I add to them as the spirits show me more of their ways." Wide Eyes explains, holding out his arms to show off the sleeve tattoos going up and down both of them. His left arm was covered from shoulder to wrist, but the right arm was unfinished, highly detailed on the upper shoulder, but losing color and detail further down, tapering away to nothing past his elbow.

"The name is William, but I am better known as Wide Eyes." He states, moving his head forward and opening his eyes wide to show off the tattoos on his face. "I'm told it's quite fitting."
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/0326:57> by Ryo »

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <08-24-14/0445:04> »
Quote from: Donger
"JD. And Jack. Ok. It's nice to meet both of you. Do you know what teams we're getting put on yet?
Jackie starts shaking his head almost instantly, "Nah, nah mate. Suppose it can get confusing for an outsider. Jackie is short for Jackson, which is my last name. So I’m Curtis, but called Jackie. Well, I’m expecting to be put on the same crew that I travelled down from Darwin with but I don’t know anything yet."
Quote from: Wide Eyes
Jackie turns around to face the tall Aborigine man with a confused look upon his face, "Don’t know much about any sacrifice or greater need to be honest, you just do what ya can to stay alive, see? Most of them critters out there move so fast you can’t really rely on the old meat and bones. Name’s Jackie by the way, that is some impressive ink work indeed. I’ve had some work done myself but most of it came from a catalog since I’m not on speaking terms with no spirits." After the initial confusion caused by Wide Eyes’ talk of chosen tasks and greater needs Jackie has regained his mental balance and the last remark was delivered with his trademark ugly grin.
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-24-14/1322:29> »
Jackie starts shaking his head almost instantly, "Nah, nah mate. Suppose it can get confusing for an outsider. Jackie is short for Jackson, which is my last name. So I’m Curtis, but called Jackie. Well, I’m expecting to be put on the same crew that I travelled down from Darwin with but I don’t know anything yet."

Jack, Jackie, Jackson, JD, Curtis? Ohhhhh this is gonna be harder than i thought.

Steven just nods like he gets it.

"Yes, very real, and I add to them as the spirits show me more of their ways." Wide Eyes explains, holding out his arms to show off the sleeve tattoos going up and down both of them. His left arm was covered from shoulder to wrist, but the right arm was unfinished, highly detailed on the upper shoulder, but losing color and detail further down, tapering away to nothing past his elbow.

"The name is William, but I am better known as Wide Eyes." He states, moving his head forward and opening his eyes wide to show off the tattoos on his face. "I'm told it's quite fitting."

Wow, so that's what mages look like down here. They told me it was different down here, but...

"You talk to spirits? Or do they just talk to you but not listen when you talk? I have some friends like that. Are you a mage?"

Then, he takes a pause and looks down at his feet, unsure how to phrase the next question. Finally, he just blurts it out.

"Do you want me to call you William or Wide Eyes?"
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/1408:16> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-24-14/1618:42> »
Wow, so that's what mages look like down here. They told me it was different down here, but...

"You talk to spirits? Or do they just talk to you but not listen when you talk? I have some friends like that. Are you a mage?"

"The spirits speak to me, and I do my best to listen. It is my duty to serve those that have been so kind as to grant me the powers I possess. I am a mage, yes, and wise in the ways of the mystical world." Wide Eyes commented, smiling slightly at Donger. He was happy to explain his connection to the loa to one willing to listen, and there was something oddly endearing about the man, even though he appeared to be a simpleton.

"Do you want me to call you William or Wide Eyes?"

"Wide Eyes is fine. It is a name I was given by my mentor, and I am honored to go by it."
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/1622:00> by Ryo »

Ravensoracle

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <08-24-14/1716:28> »
Jack sits back and listens to all the jabber. He just shrugs about the old man cracks. It's not the first time it happened in the last four weeks and he doesn't really take any time to acknowledge them.  Once he has a chance to break in he offers his hand to Wide Eyes.

Nice to meet you Wide Eyes. Name's JD.
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Subvocal

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-24-14/1817:54> »
Jack sits back and listens to all the jabber. He just shrugs about the old man cracks. It's not the first time it happened in the last four weeks and he doesn't really take any time to acknowledge them.  Once he has a chance to break in he offers his hand to Wide Eyes.

Nice to meet you Wide Eyes. Name's JD.

"Likewise." He replies, taking the old ork's hand and giving it a firm shake. He had never met an ork as old as this one, and he had seen in his aura that his age was taking a toll on his health. But he was still strong, and his handshake proved it. He gave him another decade, maybe two if he were lucky.

A strange sense of competitiveness came to Wide Eyes then, feeling insecure at how weak his own grip was compared to the ork's. Magic had spoiled him, he rarely needed to use his own hands to fight or survive when he had his Magic Fingers, or the loa to lend him their strength. He was tempted to discreetly add magic to his grip. Wouldn't do to not match an old man's grip.

He discarded the idea. 'There's no need for that kind of display.'

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #23 on: <08-27-14/0121:03> »
Snap steps out of the head to see that most of his "graduating class" have split into their own various groups.  He guesses that's ok, but really wishes they'd just get on with it and let them all know who'd they be riding with.  He has his biases, and a few pairings he hopes aren't made, but all in all, it seems like a good group, and in all honesty he's worked with worse than any of this bunch.  Snap pulls his braces up over his shoulders and runs his fingers down the straps to the top of his mechanic's pants.  Well, that one over there is awful dressed up, but I'll be damned if he ain't the center of attention like the belle at the ball.  Snap looks at the group by the guy in the suit, Donger, he thinks the name was.  That one is hard to peg down.  One on the hand, it stinks of corp trash from a mile out.  It's the way he carries himself, or something.  On the other hand, and this is the surprising part, it's not borne of an air of superiority or self-importance.  One might say the kid just has a really good idea of how slum it, but if that was the case, no way he'd be here in those threads.  Peculiar indeed.

Then there was the guy with the eyes, some sort of voodoo witch doctor or something, and he couldn't be trusted just because of the way that he talked. Most of the people Snap knew who dropped four syllables were not to be trusted. Worst part was, he thought that he might agree with the guy on just about everything. JD, on the other hand, was going to be solid. Kept his nose down.  Had age on 'im, which meant experience as far he was concerned.  Plus, you can't help but trust a cigar smoker.  Snap looked with not a little bit of envy at JD and his parejo, but it didn't do for the first thing to come outta your mouth really be your hand out.  Wasn't proper, or right, as far as Snap was concerned, but he thought that group looked as good as any, and it sure beat standing around playing with his bracers like some sort of fraggin' clown. 

His steps were surprisingly light for a man of his size, and in the boots he was wearing, and he hoped the general smell of the room would cover up any of his own natural musk.  It didn't look like that would be a problem.  Snap guessed half the guys here were either squatting like him, or completely out door.

Then, as Snap is making his way over to the group, mentally preparing some way in that won't be a completely awkard, "Hey, I'm the new guy.  Mind if I stand over here for awhile?" he makes out some snot-nosed little runt acting a fool to his elders, and that is just not something that Snap can let go, whether he's had words with the guy or not.  He stops in front of the speaker, and drops his braces back around his knees.  "Just cause he works harder, and he's better lookin' than you doesn't mean you gotta show ever'body that stubby little dick a yers.  That man's been working rigs since before you were born, and if you don't look at him and see a shit-ton you outta learn, I have a feeling he'll be at it long after those bones are picked clean, boy.  That's just my opinion, but since you felt the need to let ever'body know about yours. . ."

« Last Edit: <08-28-14/0047:10> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Blazrath

• Chummer
  • I've yet to see a regular sword being hacked into.
« Reply #24 on: <08-28-14/0202:13> »
The guy from behind scoffs at the native trying to tell him what to do, the ork not really caring. His friends seem to have less of a spine as the snickering stops though when the larger man tells them to stop, looks like these humans follow more with dominance than friendliness.

"Alright you fraggin morons, listen up before I kick all ya'll arse up to ya ears." With that, he would name of a couple of names and show them where to line up. You guys would notice that the ork from before would be stationed with his friends, for some odd reason. "Snap, Donger, Wide Eyes, JD and Jackie, get the hell over here fresh meat." He would say, pointing to mechanical bay three. There were still lights coming out of the bay, with what looked like welding going on. When you would walk into the bay, a loud -bing- would permeate through the area. "Alright, give me a fethin' minute." You guys would hear under the vehicle in the bay. Inside you would see a two and a half car garage with a vehicle looking more akin to what the local law enforcement uses in dangerous situations lifted in the air and next to it a conglomerate glob that has several weird shapes not natural.

A dwarf would roll out from underneath the heavy duty combat rig, covered in grease in the places that can be most unpleasant. One of the few places that the grease wasn't around and made the underneath viewable with a name tag denoting him as Joseph. "So, you guys are the one they stuck with Delilah. Well, I almost feel sorry for ya. Might as well give ya the dime tour, so follow me." He would say, his accent giving away he's not from these parts. He would walk to the covered vehicle. "Now, be gentle with how you think she looks, she gets a bit testy." is all he would say as he grabbed the cover and like a curtain unveiled the beast beneath. And what a beast she was. The first thing your eye is drawn to is cattle guarded welded onto the front of vehicle made of three inch steel. Behind that was the body of a Toyota Land Cruiser, which in this day and age is a rare sight as first its a discontinued line by at least fifteen years and the fact that its a product made by the Japanese.

After the initial shock, you would notice the small details, like the towing gear on the back end of the vehicles truck bed, platforms sticking out on the sides and a nice sized machine gun on top of the cab almost looking like its looking straight down at you guys. The paint is a faded dark green with a few spot having it all gone. It looked pretty clean from rust, but the mechanics know some of the hidden places can hold it still. Dents and scratches just seem to add more character to a rig that possible may be as old as some of you. "So... What da ya think of her?" the dwarf maybe named Joseph would ask.
Talking Aloud Thoughts Matrix Astral E-Mails/"Sub-Vocal"

Ravensoracle

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <08-28-14/0229:02> »
JD takes no time for anymore formalities. He already has a hand on her hood. He's leaning down so he is eye level with the top of the hood. He walks along the side his eyes moving up and down taking in every inch of the machine he can. It looks almost like he's trying to know every part of her with just one pass around her.

He says very lightly "Hello there Delilah, Nice to meet ya' ol' gal. You still got a lot of life left in ya.

Once he's back around to the front he lifts the hood, "Lets take a look at what your packin' inside huh. He takes a look at the engine compartment looking for anything that may cause him any concern.

He then leans down to take a look underneath the truck. When he stands he looks at Joseph. "What's she rated to tow? What can the crane on the back lift? And do we have block and tackle for the harder recoveries?"

It might take someone of guard that he went so quickly from admiring the machinery into a barrage of questions to make sure it could do the job.
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-28-14/1307:53> »
A dwarf would roll out from underneath the heavy duty combat rig, covered in grease in the places that can be most unpleasant. One of the few places that the grease wasn't around and made the underneath viewable with a name tag denoting him as Joseph.

Donger extends his thick and sweaty hand to shake with the greasy and oily hand of the dwarf. Whether or not his handshake is accepted matters not to big lunk. He puts on his best smile and says, "Hi Joseph! I'm Donger."

"So, you guys are the one they stuck with Delilah. Well, I almost feel sorry for ya. Might as well give ya the dime tour, so follow me." He would say, his accent giving away he's not from these parts.

Delilah? We're gonna have a woman on the team? Where has she been all this time? There weren't many women in the class, and I would have remembered one with a name like that. At least, I think I would have...

He would walk to the covered vehicle. "Now, be gentle with how you think she looks, she gets a bit testy." is all he would say as he grabbed the cover and like a curtain unveiled the beast beneath. And what a beast she was. The first thing your eye is drawn to is cattle guarded welded onto the front of vehicle made of three inch steel. Behind that was the body of a Toyota Land Cruiser, which in this day and age is a rare sight as first its a discontinued line by at least fifteen years and the fact that its a product made by the Japanese.

OHHHHHHH! Delilah is our truck! That's funny. I'm gonna use that joke on Erica when she gets back in town.

Donger lets out an audible chuckle, then stops abruptly and looks around in terror at everyone else, hoping they don't think he's laughing at the vehicle. He quickly blurts out, "I like it! I mean, HER! I don't care if she's older than me! My girlfriend is older than me!" He then turns beat red and slams his mouth shut with such force you could hear it back home.

What are you doing? Why did you SAY that? SHUT UP!

After the initial shock, you would notice the small details, like the towing gear on the back end of the vehicles truck bed, platforms sticking out on the sides and a nice sized machine gun on top of the cab almost looking like its looking straight down at you guys. The paint is a faded dark green with a few spot having it all gone. It looked pretty clean from rust, but the mechanics know some of the hidden places can hold it still. Dents and scratches just seem to add more character to a rig that possible may be as old as some of you. "So... What da ya think of her?" the dwarf maybe named Joseph would ask.

At this point, Steven realizes his jaw has been hanging open, looking in wonder at the vintage machine. It really DOES look solid. Would Joseph be offended if we checked his work? He sees the old ork opening up the hood and checking the engine, so figures it can't be TOO much of a social faux pas, so he moves up alongside him to watch and see what's inside, though he doesn't talk or touch anything. He speaks only in the universal mechanic language of nodding, pointing, and "Mmmmm."
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <08-28-14/1319:24> »
Jackie was a little bit surprised when he was called to go with the guys he was talking to. Huh, guess them fellas couldn’t swing it to get me on their crew after all. Oh well, these guys seem nice enough I suppose.

"Whoa, she’s almost as ugly as my Suzie. Looks like she has even more of a temper too." Jackie grins at the rest of the crew, "Can’t say I envy those of you that gotta be inside this beast when we get off the asphalt."
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #28 on: <08-28-14/1325:57> »
Snap lets out a very real sigh of relief, walks away from the ork, and joins the rest of his team to check out Delilah.  She's solid looking enough, if plenty worn, and he fights the urge to jump up and inspect the LMG.  I am the shooter, right?  Better wait and see if anyone else wants to jump in first.  Don't want to act too presumptuous around his new brothers.  He notes how JD jumps right to work, and lets him finish his inspection before speaking.

"Whaddya think?  Will she run?"

As for the rest of the team, thank ghost.  Not a bit of dead weight between them, as far as he can tell. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-28-14/1708:25> »
Wide Eyes let out a low whistle as he admired Delilah, watching the others appreciate the machine from all angles. He stood back and crossed his arms, mentally counting all the possible seats on the vehicle. There was more of them than there was space. Looked like at least two of them would be taking point on motorcycles.

'Good thing I have my own ride." He mused to himself.