NEWS

6E Matrix Action Specialties

• 4 Replies

dougansf

• Newb
« on: <09-11-20/1155:59> »
I've been playing a 6E Decker for a few months now in an LC. I wasn't sure what specs applied to which actions, so I did some best guess and research back into 5E to come up with the following list. I had a real hard time figuring out any uses for the Software or Hardware Specs.

I'm interested in others thoughts and feedback.

Backdoor Entry = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Brute Force = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Check OS = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Control Device = LOG + Electronics (Computers)
Crack File = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Crash Program = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Data Spike = LOG + Cracking (Cybercombat)
Disarm Data Bomb = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Edit File = LOG + Electronics (Computers)
Encrypt File = LOG + Electronics (Computers)
Format Device = LOG + Electronics (Computers)
Full Matrix Defense = Firewall
Hash Check = LOG + Electronics (Computers)
Hide = INT + Cracking (E Warfare)
Jack Out = WIL + Electronics (Hardware)
Jam Signals = LOG + Cracking (E Warfare)
Jump into Rigged Device = LOG + Electronics (Computers)
Matrix Perception = INT + Electronics (Computers)
Matrix Search = INT + Electronics (Computers)
Probe = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Reboot Device = LOG + Electronics (Computers)
Set Data Bomb = LOG + Electronics (Computers)
Snoop = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Spoof Command = LOG + Cracking (Hacking)
Tarpit = LOG + Cracking (Cybercombat)
Trace Icon = INT + Electronics (Computers)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-11-20/1206:49> »
We codified this for SRM so there's table consistency across different GMs.  I'm away from my computer but Ill link that if someone doesn't beat me to it.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-11-20/1555:19> »
Suggested skill specializations and the actions they relate to.

Cracking
Cybercombat: Brute Force, Crash Program, Data Spike, Tar Pit
Electronic Warfare: Check OS, Control Device, Hide, Jam Signals, Jump Into Rigged Device, Snoop
Hacking: Backdoor Entry, Crack File, Hash Check, Probe, Spoof Command

Electronics
Computer: Check OS, Edit File, Erase Matrix Signature, Matrix Perception, Matrix Search
Hardware: Turning off Wireless, removing headjammer, using keycard copier, using tag eraser, using bug scanner
Software: Disarm Data Bomb, Format Device, Jack Out, Jump into Rigged Device, Reboot Device, Set Data Bomb, Trace Icon

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-11-20/1653:15> »
We codified this for SRM so there's table consistency across different GMs.  I'm away from my computer but Ill link that if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Ah.  I can't find it in the FAQ because it's not in the FAQ.  It's coming in another GM-oriented SRM document.

At any rate:
it's tempting to just take the matrix actions and compare 5e to 6e, since 6e specializations are generally just 5e skills, right?  Some inherent problems arise though, due to a couple key actions that are specializations for the "wrong" skill if you attempt a 1 for 1 translation.

SRM is just ditching the inertia and creating entirely new buckets for each of the specializations that don't necessarily bear any relation to what skills were rolled in 5e.  The idea is so long as the GM knows what each specialization covers (and more importantly, doesn't cover!), matrix actions can be sorted by individual GMs with consistent results (not really possible when you attempt the 1:1 5e to 6e translation).  As a bonus, we won't be having to keep sorting new matrix actions into specializations in the FAQ as new books come out!

« Last Edit: <09-11-20/1654:53> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-12-20/1507:45> »
Thank you both.

Xenon: you have a few duplicated actions in your groupings, some of which are under the wrong skill (Check OS is one). I did like your format though, so I'm stealing it. :)

I considered what Electronics is covering, and decided the split essentially pertains to: Hardware manages Devices, Software manages Files. That spreads the actions out pretty nicely.

CRACKING
- Cybercombat: Crash Program, Data Spike, Tarpit
- Electronic Warfare: Check OS, Hide, Jam Signals, Snoop
- Hacking: Backdoor Entry, Brute Force, Crack File, Disarm Data Bomb, Probe, Spoof Command

ELECTRONICS
- Computers: Hash Check, Matrix Perception, Matrix Search, Trace Icon
- Hardware: Control Device, Format Device, Jump into Rigged Device, Reboot Device, Jack Out
- Software: Edit File, Encrypt File, Set Data Bomb