NEWS

[SR5] Viability of Cyberlimbs and Cyber Implant Weapons

• 36 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <07-26-16/0825:10> »
My opinion is that you should determine the Physical Limit for the action the same way you determine the appopriate Attribute for determining the die pool. You take the Strength based on the action (Single Limb, average of several, or lowest of all involved) and use that to determine the Physical Limit. This doesn't violate the RAW since the book just says "When a particular limb is used for a test (such as leading an attack with your cyberarm), use the attribute for that limb (natural or cyber); in any other case, take the average value of all limbs involved in the task." It doesn't say use the attribute for that limb when determining the die pool.

I've never been very adamant about this method, because people always seem concerned about this causing "extra math" to be involved. But if you're making a character with cyberlimbs that have different attributes from your body, you already have some extra figuring out to do, and it isn't that hard to write out the different possibilities for your Physical Limit based on this assumption. Unless you're going completely wacky with all four limbs having different strengths, it should be pretty straightforward. Your group just needs to agree on how many "limbs" there are in a test that involves the whole body.

Personally, I go with 5 (2 arms, 2 legs, and torso). And to be clear since the Cybertorso is a shell, I've always ruled that it doesn't have its own attributes, you always use your meat body when determining tests involving your torso.

Say I have a weakling elf decker (Bod 1, Agi 2, Rea 2, Str 1, Physical Limit 2) that decides to get an awesome arm for doing sharpshooting (Str 5, Agi 7). For using the pistol one handed, he would use just the Agility and Strength of the arm to determine effects. Which would be Agility 7 and a Strength of 5 for determining Recoil (only one extra point of recoil, so no big deal really). When using just that arm to punch he would still use that Agility 7, but because of the boost to stats his Physical Limit is also upped to 4. If he were to try and pick up a rifle or other two-handed weapon, we use his averaged stats between the two arms (Str 3, Agi 5[9/2, rounded up]). That extra recoil is gone, because his other arm is so weak, and if we needed a Physical Limit it would be 3. For something full body but not carefully coordinated, he has a Str 2, Agi 3, Phys Limit 3. And carefully coordinated would of course use his fully natural stats (since they're all lower than the arm).

And I just record it on my sheet as that series of numbers: Natural (Augmented / Avg 2 limbs / Avg whole body)
Bod: 1
Agi: 2 (7 / 5 / 3)
Rea: 2
Str: 1 (5 / 3 / 2)
Phys: 2 (4 / 3 / 3)

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <07-26-16/0842:29> »
That's how we do it at my table, Kiirnodel, and I definitely agree it's not that much more work. Most characters will either get a single arm, two arms, or all four limbs replaced so there are rarely that many different calculations needed.

I honestly think a lot of the stigma (maybe that's not the right word, but I can't think of any better ones) around cyberlimbs and limits in 5th comes from this reading by Aaron from way back when:
Q: Since cyberlimbs have their own attributes, do you use their attributes to calculate limits when using them for a test, either individually, as an average, or as the weakest limb?
Since cyberlimbs are augmentations, and augmentations can affect limits (as per page 100 under Final Calculations, "since many [derived mechanics] are adjusted by augmentations"), it logically follows that when a cyberlimb is used in a test they affect the relevant limit for that test. Otherwise, the rules become rather inconsistent.

Cyberlimbs are not included in inherent limit calculations.

Of course, Aaron wasn't always correct and his answers did come with the caveat that they were provided "as is", so we've simply chosen to house rule this as we saw fit. I do like the cyberlimbs-as-gear approach and having that mesh with Physical limit from a rules perspective; may not be RAW or even RAI, but it definitely works for me.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #32 on: <07-26-16/1001:00> »
Well, thanks to the new errata team we might have an answer to this soon.... (well a few months)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <07-26-16/1007:24> »
If they really wanted to get rid of those problems, they'd just change the rules to say "your cyber arm comes default at your AGI and STR. You can add up to 4 points of augmentation to each, for physical limit add your augmentation bonus of your limb as 1/4 to the equation."

Consistency without rules- and gear bloat
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <07-26-16/1039:15> »
Nice and easy solution, Jack_Spade. I might update my house rule's document with that, but using the SR4 version where enhancements went to 7 for cyberlimbs. They'd be expensive, but they would definitely work.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #35 on: <07-26-16/1132:51> »
The limb already starts off at the average human strength and agility (3). So I really don't see the issue.

And when you consider what the true purpose of a cyberlimb is for, and who the most plentiful metatype is....

The fact that a very small percentage of the population 'weaponize' their limbs doesn't mean they all are.

Remember, cyberlimbs were invented for people that actually LOST a limb through accident, disease or mishap. And the largest majority metatype is human.

Does it 'suck' for the orks and trolls? Yes. But those trogs and truskers just have to suck it up.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <07-26-16/1551:07> »
I really like cyberlimbs (and Infected, Wired Reflexes, M-b-W, Changelings..., but I digress), and all the discussions that have come up because of them.

What if you were to combine elements of 4 and 5 editions?  Have all cyberlimbs come with average Agility/Strength for Metatype (3/3 human, 2/7 Troll, 4/3 Elf, etc...).  If they're an oddball with Genetic Optimization, Exceptional Attribute, or Metagenic Improvement, just hand wave it.  If they have all three, well...

Cyberlimbs can receive up to 7 points of Agility and/or Strength, as this would take the limb +4 over natural maximum.  It takes capacity and costs less, or its 'customized' and does not take capacity but costs more. 

Redliner now lets you break the +4 limit, since it makes sense (you're pushing your ware beyond your body's ability to handle it), allowing you to go to +6 with four limbs.

Instead of dealing with all sorts of math for what limb does what, change it to this: if the cyberlimb can do it, use that limb's stats.  If it requires multiple limbs, the character can only get up to 4 points above his natural attribute.  Let's say we have Lopsided Johnny, a guy with a cyberarm and cyberleg, both maxed out 10.  His regular Agility and Strength are 2 each.  Johnny goes and shoots someone, Agility 10.  He then runs in, Agility 6 (that cyberleg keeps pumping and pumping, but his couch potato ass can't keep up) and punches him in the face (also Agility 6 because I believe hand to hand is a lot more than one arm), but his punch lands with a 10P.