NEWS

Navigating Hosts

• 38 Replies

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <11-16-18/0937:51> »
I think it´s pretty self-evident that you can somehow percieve the devices slaved to the host from inside, simply as a part of having a direct connection to them.

The remaining question is how this actually looks like in the iconography of a host. It´s less of a crunch and more of a fluff omission. Which is somewhat amazing, given the fluff/crunch ratio of SR5.  ::)

My take: Just show a kind of "Proxy" for the device icon in the host, and maybe integrate it into the host iconography. And forget about industry hosts.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #31 on: <11-16-18/1247:59> »
I do think one of the biggest issue we have in 5th decking is hosts. While the quest for simplification is important, I think over simplification has hurt 5th, that combined with concept of persona expanding outside in it intended place (ie technos and rigging) has made the system feel too piecemeal. I think a return to the 3rd dungeon crawl hacking method would help clarify the multplie issue hacking has developed.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #32 on: <11-16-18/1341:59> »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <11-16-18/1430:54> »
this is pretty interesting imho:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/9wtl8m/i_made_a_matrix_overhaul_tell_me_what_you_think/

If you're going to go further than picking and choosing which bits of Matrix rules/lore to ignore to improve the rest.. that's not a bad start on houseruling an entire replacement Matrix rules engine.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

adzling

« Reply #34 on: <11-16-18/1553:00> »
that was pretty much my thought.

the poster spent some time thinking about what is wrong with the current rules and why they don't work for RPGs then started from scratch, repurposing some of the actions and skills.

i really like it so far.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #35 on: <11-16-18/1604:15> »
If we are going to talk about how we'd like the matrix to work ... I'd really like the matrix rules to make more frequent use of the net successes mechanic (in a more powerful way than 'and you find out some information').  Right now a lot of the matrix activities amount to simple pass/fail success checks.  I feel like there has to be a way to build the matrix interactions with the potential for less total dice roles by making better use of degrees of success.  Unfortunately so far I've not come up with a tweak to the current system that would really do so.

adzling

« Reply #36 on: <11-16-18/1732:41> »
op built some of that into his alt rules i linked to.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #37 on: <11-16-18/2351:12> »

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/9wtl8m/i_made_a_matrix_overhaul_tell_me_what_you_think/

Matrix without VR? Sorry bro can't do it. Maybe it's a sacred cow, but I'm not ready to let that one go.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #38 on: <11-17-18/0039:56> »
Yeah it’s shortcoming